It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 am

Dragons sign Zane Kirchner 
World XV Player

Post Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Pro12: Dragons sign Springbok Zane Kirchner from Leinster

Quote:
Zane Kirchner made his South Africa debut against the British and Irish Lions in 2009
Newport Gwent Dragons have signed South Africa utility back Zane Kirchner from Pro12 rivals Leinster for 2017-18.

The 32-year-old has won 31 Springboks caps at wing or full-back and has also played centre.

He said: "When looking at the current squad, the average age and talent within the region, that is what got me interested.

"I am keen to find my feet, settle in with boys as quickly as possible, and add value to the squad where I can."

Kirchner will join three fellow South Africans at Rodney Parade - lock and captain Rynard Landman, scrum-half Sarel Pretorius and full-back Carl Meyer.

He will leave Pro12 leaders Leinster after four seasons.

Dragons have traditionally fared worse than their three Welsh rivals in the Pro12 and only Treviso and Zebre are below them with five games remaining for the Welsh team.

They are also the subject of talks over a change of ownership that could see the Welsh Rugby Union take over.

Kirchner believes Dragons "will definitely move in the right direction," in the future.

He added: "New decisions and ventures aren't always easy to make, however the experience of moving to Leinster, my first move abroad, has helped and knowing a few of the other South Africans in the squad makes my decision easier."

Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones said: ."His experience both on and off the field will be invaluable for this young squad."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39193155

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
A good signing for the Dragons, lots of experience and will bring some good attacking instinct to the line, did a good job at Leinster and by all accounts is a popular team member, with James Lowes arrival and his age profile Kirchener was always leaving at the end of this season. best of luck Zane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail
REF

Rewind 12 month: DRAGONS SIGN NICK MCLEOD.

Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones said: "His experience both on and off the field will be invaluable for this young squad."

Twitter & Facebook

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

JDC wrote:
Rewind 12 month: DRAGONS SIGN NICK MCLEOD.

Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones said: "His experience both on and off the field will be invaluable for this young squad."

Kirchener is a step up from McLeod in quality, Dragons have got a good player in Kirchener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

Leinsterblue wrote:

Kirchener is a step up from McLeod in quality, Dragons have got a good player in Kirchener.

Without knowing anything about Kirchener I'd generally take a 32-year old with 30 caps for the Springboks vs a 34 year old with no caps for anyone. On paper at least it does seem like a real coup for the Dregs.

I wonder if this means one of the other NWQs is leaving.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
Leinsterblue wrote:

Without knowing anything about Kirchener I'd generally take a 32-year old with 30 caps for the Springboks vs a 34 year old with no caps for anyone. On paper at least it does seem like a real coup for the Dregs.

Agree. I alsk don't know much about him, but on the face of it, having say three or four signings like this could swing the balance and make them win more games.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Poor bloke, from rugby heaven to rugby ( and living) hell. :D

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Leinsterblue wrote:

Agree. I alsk don't know much about him, but on the face of it, having say three or four signings like this could swing the balance and make them win more games.

I guess the option of offering a contract to a Welsh international is off the table? Is the WRU money destined for NWQ's only then? :bs: :D

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 pm
Club Player

If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Orange Peril :D

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:48 pm
World XV Player

Interesting move and so soon after the take over. Even if his best playing days are behind him I am guessing the professionalism, attitude etc of a 30 cap springbok will still be intact

Front and back row is a concern and I am not sure how they wil address this. Screech, land man and hill make a decent go of it at lock

Personally I would stop with the failed conversion of rhodri jones to TH and try and get hold of him for the drags at LH and try and get more game time for Dillon Lewis at TH from the blues

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Figaro wrote:
If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.

The dual contracts were/are/should be, meant to keep players in Wales who would be prime targets for big clubs outside of Wales, in truth there are only a handful of players that relates to. So they are merely used as an insentive for certain players within the gold fish bowl of Welsh rugby, some of the players given them would merely be squad fodder in big clubs, at best. Welsh rugby is a very comfortable place to play and get payed good wages without being particularly exceptional. Nice work if you can get it and it's relatively easy to hang on too. At the end you can pick up a severance payment the Dragons for a few seasons, less a development region than a halfway house between retirement and playing.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:

The dual contracts were/are/should be, meant to keep players in Wales who would be prime targets for big clubs outside of Wales, in truth there are only a handful of players that relates to. So they are merely used as an insentive for certain players within the gold fish bowl of Welsh rugby, some of the players given them would merely be squad fodder in big clubs, at best. Welsh rugby is a very comfortable place to play and get payed good wages without being particularly exceptional. Nice work if you can get it and it's relatively easy to hang on too. At the end you can pick up a severance payment the Dragons for a few seasons, less a development region than a halfway house between retirement and playing.

I think you are right but I believe the dual contracts offer slightly more than that.

In the case of the Dragons in theory, the Dual Contracts offer the team a bit of atability and keep more or less the critical mass of players to keep them in the team and ensure a base of quality. My understanding is that in part Faletau left because of the lack of signings at the Dragons. But it is difficult for the Dragons because they have to spend more to attract players.

Or put another way, if for arguments sake the Dragons had been able to retain the following players, they would be a much better team and able to attract more players: if an NDC systrm had been in place 6 or 7 years ago, most of these players would still be there.

Brew, Charteris, Dan Evans, Faletau and Lydiate.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:

I think you are right but I believe the dual contracts offer slightly more than that.

In the case of the Dragons in theory, the Dual Contracts offer the team a bit of atability and keep more or less the critical mass of players to keep them in the team and ensure a base of quality. My understanding is that in part Faletau left because of the lack of signings at the Dragons. But it is difficult for the Dragons because they have to spend more to attract players.

Or put another way, if for arguments sake the Dragons had been able to retain the following players, they would be a much better team and able to attract more players: if an NDC systrm had been in place 6 or 7 years ago, most of these players would still be there.

Is the purpose of the contracts to keep top players in Wales or at underperforming regions. Dan Evans has never deserved a central contract, neither as Brew... I believe both TF and LC was offered them and Lydiate has one and is in Wales, although even when fit was not automatic choice for the Ospreys and could not make the starting team in France. If we spread the talent accross the regions will we ever compete at European club level. There are more questions than answers in Welsh rugby :)

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Is the purpose of the contracts to keep top players in Wales or at underperforming regions. Dan Evans has never deserved a central contract, neither as Brew... I believe both TF and LC was offered them and Lydiate has one and is in Wales, although even when fit was not automatic choice for the Ospreys and could not make the starting team in France. If we spread the talent accross the regions will we ever compete at European club level. There are more questions than answers in Welsh rugby :)

I don't necessarily say that they deserve central contracts but my point is that if a better contract system could have been imposed there earlier (or which the NDCs might have been the answer) they would be a better team as a result. By the time Faletau was offered one he was already established and it was too late.

A team that contains all of the players mentioned is more likely to win and more likely to be able to attract better players and more likely to be able to retain youth players. The Dragons underperform for a number of reasons, not least because they can't retain and can't attract players.

As it is, if the Ospreys and Dragons were after the same player, the Dragons would likely have to spend more than the Ospreys to make the deal more attractive.

Re Dan Evans by the way, I seem to remember it not necessarily bejng Evans choice?

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail