It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:25 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Dragons sign Zane Kirchner 
Author Message
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 3683
Post Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Pro12: Dragons sign Springbok Zane Kirchner from Leinster


Quote:
Zane Kirchner made his South Africa debut against the British and Irish Lions in 2009
Newport Gwent Dragons have signed South Africa utility back Zane Kirchner from Pro12 rivals Leinster for 2017-18.

The 32-year-old has won 31 Springboks caps at wing or full-back and has also played centre.

He said: "When looking at the current squad, the average age and talent within the region, that is what got me interested.

"I am keen to find my feet, settle in with boys as quickly as possible, and add value to the squad where I can."

Kirchner will join three fellow South Africans at Rodney Parade - lock and captain Rynard Landman, scrum-half Sarel Pretorius and full-back Carl Meyer.

He will leave Pro12 leaders Leinster after four seasons.

Dragons have traditionally fared worse than their three Welsh rivals in the Pro12 and only Treviso and Zebre are below them with five games remaining for the Welsh team.

They are also the subject of talks over a change of ownership that could see the Welsh Rugby Union take over.

Kirchner believes Dragons "will definitely move in the right direction," in the future.

He added: "New decisions and ventures aren't always easy to make, however the experience of moving to Leinster, my first move abroad, has helped and knowing a few of the other South Africans in the squad makes my decision easier."

Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones said: ."His experience both on and off the field will be invaluable for this young squad."





http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39193155


Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:45 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 2887
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
A good signing for the Dragons, lots of experience and will bring some good attacking instinct to the line, did a good job at Leinster and by all accounts is a popular team member, with James Lowes arrival and his age profile Kirchener was always leaving at the end of this season. best of luck Zane.

_________________
Leinster will never win this one, they are crap away from home.- JonnyJugLicker
Result - Northampton 7 - Leinster 40
Luck of the Irish for Leinster again.- JonnyJugLicker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU


Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail
REF
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:15 pm
Posts: 5866
Location: Yeah I know!
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Rewind 12 month: DRAGONS SIGN NICK MCLEOD.


Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones said: "His experience both on and off the field will be invaluable for this young squad."

_________________
Don't forget you can follow and like the Friends of Newport Rugby Trust at:

Twitter & Facebook


Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:59 pm
Posts: 2887
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
JDC wrote:
Rewind 12 month: DRAGONS SIGN NICK MCLEOD.


Dragons head coach Kingsley Jones said: "His experience both on and off the field will be invaluable for this young squad."


Kirchener is a step up from McLeod in quality, Dragons have got a good player in Kirchener.

_________________
Leinster will never win this one, they are crap away from home.- JonnyJugLicker
Result - Northampton 7 - Leinster 40
Luck of the Irish for Leinster again.- JonnyJugLicker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU


Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:21 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 233
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Leinsterblue wrote:

Kirchener is a step up from McLeod in quality, Dragons have got a good player in Kirchener.


Without knowing anything about Kirchener I'd generally take a 32-year old with 30 caps for the Springboks vs a 34 year old with no caps for anyone. On paper at least it does seem like a real coup for the Dregs.

I wonder if this means one of the other NWQs is leaving.


Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7096
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Figaro wrote:
Leinsterblue wrote:

Kirchener is a step up from McLeod in quality, Dragons have got a good player in Kirchener.


Without knowing anything about Kirchener I'd generally take a 32-year old with 30 caps for the Springboks vs a 34 year old with no caps for anyone. On paper at least it does seem like a real coup for the Dregs.

I wonder if this means one of the other NWQs is leaving.


Agree. I alsk don't know much about him, but on the face of it, having say three or four signings like this could swing the balance and make them win more games.


Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 58706
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Poor bloke, from rugby heaven to rugby ( and living) hell. :D

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 58706
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Cymru am byth wrote:
Figaro wrote:
Leinsterblue wrote:

Kirchener is a step up from McLeod in quality, Dragons have got a good player in Kirchener.


Without knowing anything about Kirchener I'd generally take a 32-year old with 30 caps for the Springboks vs a 34 year old with no caps for anyone. On paper at least it does seem like a real coup for the Dregs.

I wonder if this means one of the other NWQs is leaving.


Agree. I alsk don't know much about him, but on the face of it, having say three or four signings like this could swing the balance and make them win more games.


I guess the option of offering a contract to a Welsh international is off the table? Is the WRU money destined for NWQ's only then? :bs: :D

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 pm
Profile
Club Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 233
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.


Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 87781
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
The Orange Peril :D

_________________
Vote Covfefe


Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:48 pm
Profile
World XV Player

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Posts: 3171
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Interesting move and so soon after the take over. Even if his best playing days are behind him I am guessing the professionalism, attitude etc of a 30 cap springbok will still be intact

Front and back row is a concern and I am not sure how they wil address this. Screech, land man and hill make a decent go of it at lock

Personally I would stop with the failed conversion of rhodri jones to TH and try and get hold of him for the drags at LH and try and get more game time for Dillon Lewis at TH from the blues


Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11348
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Figaro wrote:
If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.


The dual contracts were/are/should be, meant to keep players in Wales who would be prime targets for big clubs outside of Wales, in truth there are only a handful of players that relates to. So they are merely used as an insentive for certain players within the gold fish bowl of Welsh rugby, some of the players given them would merely be squad fodder in big clubs, at best. Welsh rugby is a very comfortable place to play and get payed good wages without being particularly exceptional. Nice work if you can get it and it's relatively easy to hang on too. At the end you can pick up a severance payment the Dragons for a few seasons, less a development region than a halfway house between retirement and playing.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7096
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.


The dual contracts were/are/should be, meant to keep players in Wales who would be prime targets for big clubs outside of Wales, in truth there are only a handful of players that relates to. So they are merely used as an insentive for certain players within the gold fish bowl of Welsh rugby, some of the players given them would merely be squad fodder in big clubs, at best. Welsh rugby is a very comfortable place to play and get payed good wages without being particularly exceptional. Nice work if you can get it and it's relatively easy to hang on too. At the end you can pick up a severance payment the Dragons for a few seasons, less a development region than a halfway house between retirement and playing.


I think you are right but I believe the dual contracts offer slightly more than that.

In the case of the Dragons in theory, the Dual Contracts offer the team a bit of atability and keep more or less the critical mass of players to keep them in the team and ensure a base of quality. My understanding is that in part Faletau left because of the lack of signings at the Dragons. But it is difficult for the Dragons because they have to spend more to attract players.

Or put another way, if for arguments sake the Dragons had been able to retain the following players, they would be a much better team and able to attract more players: if an NDC systrm had been in place 6 or 7 years ago, most of these players would still be there.

Brew, Charteris, Dan Evans, Faletau and Lydiate.


Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11348
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.


The dual contracts were/are/should be, meant to keep players in Wales who would be prime targets for big clubs outside of Wales, in truth there are only a handful of players that relates to. So they are merely used as an insentive for certain players within the gold fish bowl of Welsh rugby, some of the players given them would merely be squad fodder in big clubs, at best. Welsh rugby is a very comfortable place to play and get payed good wages without being particularly exceptional. Nice work if you can get it and it's relatively easy to hang on too. At the end you can pick up a severance payment the Dragons for a few seasons, less a development region than a halfway house between retirement and playing.


I think you are right but I believe the dual contracts offer slightly more than that.

In the case of the Dragons in theory, the Dual Contracts offer the team a bit of atability and keep more or less the critical mass of players to keep them in the team and ensure a base of quality. My understanding is that in part Faletau left because of the lack of signings at the Dragons. But it is difficult for the Dragons because they have to spend more to attract players.

Or put another way, if for arguments sake the Dragons had been able to retain the following players, they would be a much better team and able to attract more players: if an NDC systrm had been in place 6 or 7 years ago, most of these players would still be there.

Brew, Charteris, Dan Evans, Faletau and Lydiate.



Is the purpose of the contracts to keep top players in Wales or at underperforming regions. Dan Evans has never deserved a central contract, neither as Brew... I believe both TF and LC was offered them and Lydiate has one and is in Wales, although even when fit was not automatic choice for the Ospreys and could not make the starting team in France. If we spread the talent accross the regions will we ever compete at European club level. There are more questions than answers in Welsh rugby :)

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:19 pm
Posts: 7096
Post Re: Dragons sign Zane Kirchner
Blindside wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Figaro wrote:
If Bristol get relegated the Dregs will be will be more attractive (relatively speaking) to Ian Evnas and the Orange Peril, both of whom have been linked with the region. Can't see either of them getting an NDC though.

I think they should try and get Jonathan Evans back from the Scarlets (should never have let him leave in the first place); Pretorious is the only SH at the Dragons that isn't completely awful. If Evans is unavailable, Rhodri Williams at Bristol can't be too enthusiastic about the prospect of playing in the Championship either; though I don't see either of them getting an NDC.

To be honest, I can't see anyone coming in on an NDC because the few players elsewhere who might be in line for one aren't going to be attracted enough by the region as it is to go play there. Their best bet for an NDC would be for one or two of their up and coming players to get them, maybe Harri Keddie or Ashton Hewitt. Either that or the WRU might just slap one on Cory Hill just out of sympathy. Rory Thornton has one and seems to be behind Hill in the national team's pecking order.


The dual contracts were/are/should be, meant to keep players in Wales who would be prime targets for big clubs outside of Wales, in truth there are only a handful of players that relates to. So they are merely used as an insentive for certain players within the gold fish bowl of Welsh rugby, some of the players given them would merely be squad fodder in big clubs, at best. Welsh rugby is a very comfortable place to play and get payed good wages without being particularly exceptional. Nice work if you can get it and it's relatively easy to hang on too. At the end you can pick up a severance payment the Dragons for a few seasons, less a development region than a halfway house between retirement and playing.


I think you are right but I believe the dual contracts offer slightly more than that.

In the case of the Dragons in theory, the Dual Contracts offer the team a bit of atability and keep more or less the critical mass of players to keep them in the team and ensure a base of quality. My understanding is that in part Faletau left because of the lack of signings at the Dragons. But it is difficult for the Dragons because they have to spend more to attract players.

Or put another way, if for arguments sake the Dragons had been able to retain the following players, they would be a much better team and able to attract more players: if an NDC systrm had been in place 6 or 7 years ago, most of these players would still be there.

Brew, Charteris, Dan Evans, Faletau and Lydiate.



Is the purpose of the contracts to keep top players in Wales or at underperforming regions. Dan Evans has never deserved a central contract, neither as Brew... I believe both TF and LC was offered them and Lydiate has one and is in Wales, although even when fit was not automatic choice for the Ospreys and could not make the starting team in France. If we spread the talent accross the regions will we ever compete at European club level. There are more questions than answers in Welsh rugby :)


I don't necessarily say that they deserve central contracts but my point is that if a better contract system could have been imposed there earlier (or which the NDCs might have been the answer) they would be a better team as a result. By the time Faletau was offered one he was already established and it was too late.

A team that contains all of the players mentioned is more likely to win and more likely to be able to attract better players and more likely to be able to retain youth players. The Dragons underperform for a number of reasons, not least because they can't retain and can't attract players.

As it is, if the Ospreys and Dragons were after the same player, the Dragons would likely have to spend more than the Ospreys to make the deal more attractive.

Re Dan Evans by the way, I seem to remember it not necessarily bejng Evans choice?


Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: