It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:45 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018 
Author Message
Junior Player

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 100
Post USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4370290

Discuss...


Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:46 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 3882
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Flyng back and fore across the Atlantic for a game is stupid.


But

These guys are professional, right? not having to get back to work on monday etc.. so if it is organised in a block of say 4 games on following weekends, tour style, then why not? I assume it would mean US fly here, week 1 play Ireland side, week 2 play scotland side week 3 play wales side then home and back late in the year for the same.

Doable, and if there is someone wanton to fund it, fine. But is this instead of the italian sides, or as well? A longer year may need looking at. Possibly a US tour for the regions after the season but not included?

It is double the flight time than to Rome, but airport wait etc is the same and seats are better

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 86985
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Doesn't make any rugby sense so it will probably happen.

_________________
Sometimes we can disagree with the facts

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean


Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm
Profile
Junior Player

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:25 pm
Posts: 100
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
soap wrote:
Flyng back and fore across the Atlantic for a game is stupid.


But

These guys are professional, right? not having to get back to work on monday etc.. so if it is organised in a block of say 4 games on following weekends, tour style, then why not? I assume it would mean US fly here, week 1 play Ireland side, week 2 play scotland side week 3 play wales side then home and back late in the year for the same.

Doable, and if there is someone wanton to fund it, fine. But is this instead of the italian sides, or as well? A longer year may need looking at. Possibly a US tour for the regions after the season but not included?

It is double the flight time than to Rome, but airport wait etc is the same and seats are better


If you'd read the article it would have answered some of your questions for you. They would not replace the Italians and the league would split into two conferences of 7, playing 2 games vs. teams within your conference and 1 game vs those in the other conference; there would thus be fewer games (18 vs 22 now), not more. They would not replace the Italians, no. The idea is that the entire season could be played outside the International window, which should in theory raise the standard of the league by ensuring the best players are available.

I would have thought that they would want to do their away games in blocks, yes, to save on flights and accommodation.

Assuming the two NA sides are in different conferences, the current teams on average need to fly out to the US/Canada 1.5 times a season.

It would depend a bit on how the conferences were organized - presumably for derby purposes they would want to keep the countries together, but that would meant that one conference had both Italians and an expansion NA side. That would be a very weak conference, especially if it also had the Dragons in it...


Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Stockholm
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
If you are going to add that kind of travel then wouldn't teams from South Africa make more sense?

Bump the Italians, Wales and Ireland go to 3 regions and bring in the Currie Cup second division, with promotion to Currie Cup first division for the 2 top South African teams as the prize.


Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 3882
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Figaro wrote:
soap wrote:
Flyng back and fore across the Atlantic for a game is stupid.


But

These guys are professional, right? not having to get back to work on monday etc.. so if it is organised in a block of say 4 games on following weekends, tour style, then why not? I assume it would mean US fly here, week 1 play Ireland side, week 2 play scotland side week 3 play wales side then home and back late in the year for the same.

Doable, and if there is someone wanton to fund it, fine. But is this instead of the italian sides, or as well? A longer year may need looking at. Possibly a US tour for the regions after the season but not included?

It is double the flight time than to Rome, but airport wait etc is the same and seats are better


If you'd read the article it would have answered some of your questions for you. They would not replace the Italians and the league would split into two conferences of 7, playing 2 games vs. teams within your conference and 1 game vs those in the other conference; there would thus be fewer games (18 vs 22 now), not more. They would not replace the Italians, no. The idea is that the entire season could be played outside the International window, which should in theory raise the standard of the league by ensuring the best players are available.

I would have thought that they would want to do their away games in blocks, yes, to save on flights and accommodation.

Assuming the two NA sides are in different conferences, the current teams on average need to fly out to the US/Canada 1.5 times a season.

It would depend a bit on how the conferences were organized - presumably for derby purposes they would want to keep the countries together, but that would meant that one conference had both Italians and an expansion NA side. That would be a very weak conference, especially if it also had the Dragons in it...


That is draft, what actually gets put on the table, if anything, will no little like it if past records are anything to go by.
They would probably have Rome between new York and Toronto with an international v Fiji in between

(ps you are right, i missed the italians bit)

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 3882
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Stockholm Blue wrote:
If you are going to add that kind of travel then wouldn't teams from South Africa make more sense?

Bump the Italians, Wales and Ireland go to 3 regions and bring in the Currie Cup second division, with promotion to Currie Cup first division for the 2 top South African teams as the prize.


Is there funding available from SA? there was talk of this before

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:32 pm
Posts: 428
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
If you play every team in the other conference once (either home or away) that is an additional 7 games not 6. So 19 games in total.

They key thing is the two new teams need to be competitive, we have seen the harm that the Italian sides do when they lose by 50+ points every game.


Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:48 pm
Posts: 12176
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Evan Roberts wrote:
If you play every team in the other conference once (either home or away) that is an additional 7 games not 6. So 19 games in total.

They key thing is the two new teams need to be competitive, we have seen the harm that the Italian (+ dragons + blues ) sides do when they lose by 50+ points every game.


It's not just the Italians that are poor


Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:48 pm
Posts: 12176
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
It's not that bizarre a concept. Japan play in a club tournament with Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand and Oz.

It's not that significantly further for a team in Toronto to fly to Dublin than it is for the force to play the reds, or warratahs


Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 57232
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Where is the US money coming from?

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Profile
International Player
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Posts: 1392
Location: Stockholm
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
soap wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:
If you are going to add that kind of travel then wouldn't teams from South Africa make more sense?

Bump the Italians, Wales and Ireland go to 3 regions and bring in the Currie Cup second division, with promotion to Currie Cup first division for the 2 top South African teams as the prize.


Is there funding available from SA? there was talk of this before


I haven't fully ironed out the concept, I only thought about it for about 2 minutes to be honest.


Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 3449
Location: urmyC
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Langland Exile wrote:
Where is the US money coming from?



The two US investors previously mentioned were Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan. Both billionaires I believe.

_________________
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon. Hep brezhoneg,Breizh ebet. Den heb tavas a-gollas a dyr.


Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm
Posts: 57232
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Llew wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Where is the US money coming from?



The two US investors previously mentioned were Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan. Both billionaires I believe.


The Swansea City investors?

_________________
We are all in the gutter but me and my mam are looking at the stars!


Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:51 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 3449
Location: urmyC
Post Re: USA & Canada to Join Pro12 in 2018
Langland Exile wrote:
Llew wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Where is the US money coming from?



The two US investors previously mentioned were Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan. Both billionaires I believe.


The Swansea City investors?


Yes. Reported in the Rugby paper last August.

_________________
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon. Hep brezhoneg,Breizh ebet. Den heb tavas a-gollas a dyr.


Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:11 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: