It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Blues Recruitment 
International Player

Post Re: Blues Recruitment
Figaro wrote:
I would have far rather seen them sign one of the Ospreys' crop of good young Welsh Locks - Beard, Thornton and Ashley should all be playing week-in, week-out, and not standing in a queue behind AWJ and Bradley Davies.

They are not behind Bradley Davies as he is spending his year down in Swansea on the treatment table. Thornton I would say has overtaken Ashley this year, who is a good regional pro but hardly that young anymore at least compared to Rory and Adam. I believe Beard is the heir apparent to Davies, he has an edge to him and a heavy frame and is likely to overtake Ashley soon. If one of them were to leave I'd hope it would be Ashley, not because I do not rate him - he has been an excellent servant and always gives his all - but because I believe the others have a higher ceiling.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

suede lady wrote:
Figaro wrote:
I would have far rather seen them sign one of the Ospreys' crop of good young Welsh Locks - Beard, Thornton and Ashley should all be playing week-in, week-out, and not standing in a queue behind AWJ and Bradley Davies.

They are not behind Bradley Davies as he is spending his year down in Swansea on the treatment table. Thornton I would say has overtaken Ashley this year, who is a good regional pro but hardly that young anymore at least compared to Rory and Adam. I believe Beard is the heir apparent to Davies, he has an edge to him and a heavy frame and is likely to overtake Ashley soon. If one of them were to leave I'd hope it would be Ashley, not because I do not rate him - he has been an excellent servant and always gives his all - but because I believe the others have a higher ceiling.

I would like the youngsters to earn their place in the team and move to a team that has lesser players in the same position so they can get a game every week.

its like the calls to drop biggar for sam davies. when he deserves it sam will be selected over biggar. if he doesn't, he won't. Its like tal selley and tavis knoyle. are they any good? would they have become better players if they actually stayed and fought for the positions? tavis left the ospreys for easy games at the scarlets when he could have stayed and learnt form mike phillips, Jamie nutbrown & ricky januarie the following season. as it turned out someone called webb was moved up into his spot and started when phillips & nutbrown got injured and look how that turned out.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

mr messy wrote:
suede lady wrote:
Figaro wrote:

I would like the youngsters to earn their place in the team and move to a team that has lesser players in the same position so they can get a game every week.

its like the calls to drop biggar for sam davies. when he deserves it sam will be selected over biggar. if he doesn't, he won't. Its like tal selley and tavis knoyle. are they any good? would they have become better players if they actually stayed and fought for the positions? tavis left the ospreys for easy games at the scarlets when he could have stayed and learnt form mike phillips, Jamie nutbrown & ricky januarie the following season. as it turned out someone called webb was moved up into his spot and started when phillips & nutbrown got injured and look how that turned out.

Easier said than done from a player perspective. At the risk of speaking without full details, surely Knoyle was sensible to seek first team rugby when in all likelihood he was maybe 3rd or 4th choice and presumably aware that Webb was likely to overtake him?

A player has to play and if they are professional, have to make money.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
mr messy wrote:
suede lady wrote:
Figaro wrote:

Easier said than done from a player perspective. At the risk of speaking without full details, surely Knoyle was sensible to seek first team rugby when in all likelihood he was maybe 3rd or 4th choice and presumably aware that Webb was likely to overtake him?

A player has to play and if they are professional, have to make money.

he's 2 years younger than webb, and was still a teenager at that time. it's a balance I agree, but you need to look at your future, not just next saturday. he got 1st team rugby, but look at his development since. he's 26 now, and played pro rugby for 4 welsh regions and Gloucester.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

knoye may be a bad example, I don't know any of the details or if he had any input into it. I think blindside knows about, but from a purely development view point, it doesn't look like leaving for 1st team rugby was successful at all. if your young and similar in build and style to mike phillips, then it sort of makes sense to try and learn from mike phillips, who was the starting lions 9 that season.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile E-mail