It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Blues Recruitment 
Club Player

Post Blues Recruitment
This won't be news to this forum but the Blues have signed Franco van de Merwe, Damian Welch (Locks) and Jack Roberts (Centre) for next season.

Good to see that they've recognised they've the weakest second row of all the regions, and I don't imagine either of the new signings will be worse than what they currently have, but it's a bit disappoint to see them sign two Locks who are both over 33. I would have far rather seen them sign one of the Ospreys' crop of good young Welsh Locks - Beard, Thornton and Ashley should all be playing week-in, week-out, and not standing in a queue behind AWJ and Bradley Davies.

Roberts is a more interesting signing and pretty much confirms the departure of Cory Allen. He has apparently looked very good for Leicester this season and was in great demand by other EP clubs. He presumably has ambitions to play for Wales - let's hope it works out for him as we are so weak in this department at the moment.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Blues Recruitment
Are they releasing some foreign players? they must be over the limit?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:12 pm
Profile E-mail
Club Player

I don't know, haven't heard anything concrete.

I would have thought Jarrad Hoeata would be out as he's been there a while, is probably on a fairly high salary, isn't first choice and with the recruitment of two new locks he would surely be surplus to requirements. I would also have said that the American Cam Dolan (recruited by John/McIntosh I think) will probably leave as he has been given hardly had any game time and clearly isn't rated by the current management. And of course Filise might retire, esp. if the new Georgian prop stays, though we've been saying that for years. That would be 3 NWQs out of the door if true.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Some interesting signings for the blues and the two additions at second row will certainly help the front five. I think despite the noise about playing wider etc Wilson would like to have a better set piece and play a bit more of a traditional game. The two signings will help with that

In the long term I am not sure if the blues have a lot of quality front five forwards coming through? I know Lewis the TH is highly rated but what about young second rowers? Is seb Davies any good

Finally as the ospreys developed beard, Ashley and Thornton it is up to them what they do with their players. Thornton is improving all the time and putting pressure on Davies for a spot... beard is still quite young so time is on his side. Ashley probably should play second fiddle as not international class but a work horse and a good regional man

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The Blues had a really good start this season but have just got worse. They have some great players but need to improve quality.

I for one would love to see The Blues being more competitive.

As much as many seem to dislike the Blues, I think a strong domestic team based in Cardiff is what the regional set up needs.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

For some reason (and this has gone on for along time) Cardiff always seem to design their own failure, be it poor players, or poor coach' or most of the time both.

Apart from the odd spell, they just seem to flounder along.

Its always one step forward and two back.

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:22 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
For some reason (and this has gone on for along time) Cardiff always seem to design their own failure, be it poor players, or poor coach' or most of the time both.

I agree. The Blues have the ingredients to be a sucessful team. They have a great location and lots of people on the doorstep who would follow them if they played better. I think Wilson is doing a good job all things considered, but their appointment of coach has often struck me as being a bit, budget.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Some who know seem to say it is boardroom interference

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:

Some who know seem to say it is boardroom interference

That has been infer'd time and again.

Dai Young doing OK though.

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:24 pm
Schools District Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Some interesting signings for the blues and the two additions at second row will certainly help the front five. I think despite the noise about playing wider etc Wilson would like to have a better set piece and play a bit more of a traditional game. The two signings will help with that

In the long term I am not sure if the blues have a lot of quality front five forwards coming through? I know Lewis the TH is highly rated but what about young second rowers? Is seb Davies any good

Finally as the ospreys developed beard, Ashley and Thornton it is up to them what they do with their players. Thornton is improving all the time and putting pressure on Davies for a spot... beard is still quite young so time is on his side. Ashley probably should play second fiddle as not international class but a work horse and a good regional man

The entire Wales front row for this evening's game are Cardiff Blues players. 9 of the starting 15 are Cardiff Blues players.

2 x Lewis, Domachowksi, Davies, Lewis-Hughes and Belcher are all 23 or under.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:44 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Yonkers wrote:

The entire Wales front row for this evening's game are Cardiff Blues players. 9 of the starting 15 are Cardiff Blues players.

Let's hope they all train on to be top class. The Scott Andrews, Kristian Dacey, James Down, Sam Hobbs group never really evolved from being very promising youngsters to the next level.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:51 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

My hobby horse on recruitment.

Hoeata = fraud.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

good win against Edinburgh boys!!

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
Yonkers wrote:

Let's hope they all train on to be top class. The Scott Andrews, Kristian Dacey, James Down, Sam Hobbs group never really evolved from being very promising youngsters to the next level.

Yep good point let's hope they come through... still a long way to go for those under 20 players

Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:06 am
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
My hobby horse on recruitment.

Hoeata = fraud.

He's played through a serious back injury.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am
Profile E-mail