It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:44 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
How about a Pro 10? 
World XV Player

Post Re: How about a Pro 10?
pythagoras wrote:
I can see why the Italians would want to be in the celtic league for now but I can't see what's in it for the rest of us.
If the 2 teams start performing, France will invite them in.
Or if rugby takes off in Italy they'll probably start their own league.
Either way we're just a stopgap while they're useless.

Welsh regions should be using the games v italian sides to blood players, youngsters etc. But the truth is, most are afraid to do that as they may well lose.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
pythagoras wrote:
I can see why the Italians would want to be in the celtic league for now but I can't see what's in it for the rest of us.

Welsh regions should be using the games v italian sides to blood players, youngsters etc. But the truth is, most are afraid to do that as they may well lose.

Afraid to *fupping* lose, the Drags and Blues know no other *fupping* result mun :thefinger:

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:47 pm
Schools District Player

From the Guardian regarding upcoming issues for WRU in an interview with Martin Phillips:

One is the future of the regions, whose playing budgets are considerably below rivals in England, France and Ireland. Newport Gwent Dragons are seeking private financial backing and a lack of progress has cast uncertainty over their future. The Cardiff Blues chairman, Peter Thomas, said this week that he felt the regions were heading for a car crash. “The Dragons are in a difficult spot,” he said. “They are looking for new investment, which is always a tough place to be.

“We are working very closely together but the nearer next season comes, the more urgent it is. I am meeting with them again next week and part of my job is to help them become a well-run, successful professional team.” said Phillips

Asked whether the WRU would consider taking over the region, he replied: “You could not say no. There are 73 clubs in Gwent, a region with a rich history that has always produced amazing players. There is no way I could not have a professional club in Gwent without knowing I had done everything I could. If it came to it, we would look at it and ask if we could afford it.

“Going forward, I think the regions will have to have a combination of union funding and private investment. Given some of the money that has been spent in England and France, it would be difficult for professional clubs to be competitive without both those investment streams. It is not all about the money: you need a vision and an identity.”

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Its the identity bit where it all goes tits up

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:44 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Its the identity bit where it all goes tits up

And the quality of rugby. And the pitch

Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

soap wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

The Ospreys did very well with a quasi-second string squad against Zebre:
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/Match/Repor ... mId=104420

And the Scarlets beat them even while resting key players such as Scott and Liam Williams:
http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/games/11723.php

In the meantime Leinster's announced squad against Zebre is surprisingly strong:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38518335

Once again, a reminder to other forum users:
Not all the professional Welsh teams are like the Dragons!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:18 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
soap wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

The Ospreys did very well with a quasi-second string squad against Zebre:
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/Match/Repor ... mId=104420

And the Scarlets beat them even while resting key players such as Scott and Liam Williams:
http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/games/11723.php

In the meantime Leinster's announced squad against Zebre is surprisingly strong:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38518335

Once again, a reminder to other forum users:
Not all the professional Welsh teams are like the Dragons!

A quick flit through the scarlets team, I dont know who else they could have picked. I think That would have been the team full stop

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:21 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Leinter 70 - 6 Zebre

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 pm
International Player

Leinter 70 - 6 Zebre

True, but with a stronger squad than when Ospreys beat Zebre in the season's opening round.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:13 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Leinter 70 - 6 Zebre

True, but with a stronger squad than when Ospreys beat Zebre in the season's opening round.

Not sure how you can excuse that though.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

On a positive note, it's not much worse than the beating that one of English rugby's big clubs, Northampton, got there recently. :)

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

pythagoras wrote:

It hasn't worked, but like with most things involved with that league, it has been allowed to coast along rather than decisive action being taken. A quick look at a map would tell you that their natural home is in the French system and having them in the Pro12 is doing anyone involved any favours. The league would be improved by ditching the Italians, going down to ten and not playing league games in international windows.

Agree with the point about the Dragons, but rather than us go down to three, I think some pressure needs to be applied for a solution to be found.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

It hasn't worked, but like with most things involved with that league, it has been allowed to coast along rather than decisive action being taken. A quick look at a map would tell you that their natural home is in the French system and having them in the Pro12 is doing anyone involved any favours. The league would be improved by ditching the Italians, going down to ten and not playing league games in international windows.

Agree with the point about the Dragons, but rather than us go down to three, I think some pressure needs to be applied for a solution to be found.

Agree. There would be four fewer games for the teams which would nicely give a break during the international window.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

Any ideas for how relegation would work? I mean after the 8 Irish sides were in, could we have playoffs against a Georgian side? I would like to think Canada and US, but if the travel did not knacker the players it would bust the clubs.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
soap wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

Afraid to *fupping* lose, the Drags and Blues know no other *fupping* result mun :thefinger:

your softening to us :cyclops:, you continue to come to the light. :D

Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:46 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next