It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:36 am

How about a Pro 10? 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post How about a Pro 10?
Basically, axe the Dragons and Zebre and keep the rest. The better Dragons players could go to the Blues, while the better Zebre players could go to Treviso. Few if any matches would be played during the international periods, which would mean the main stars out more and bigger crowds.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:00 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

Post Re: How about a Pro 10?
najbritcol wrote:
Basically, axe the Dragons and Zebre and keep the rest. The better Dragons players could go to the Blues, while the better Zebre players could go to Treviso. Few if any matches would be played during the international periods, which would mean the main stars out more and bigger crowds.

The loss of Dragons and Zebre would need to be looked at in context of the crowds they currently draw in for the home team playing them.

I don't understand how you correlate this loss of crowds with more automatically coming to the other matches.

It would also affect the amount and distribution of TV revenues - terrestrial and PPV. BBC Wales TV deal which largely goes to the Welsh regions could be cut, albeit the amount would only be divided by three instead of four. The current Sky deal with PRO12 is based on number of teams per union so WRU/PRW would receive less.

Let's say test players are limited to say 25 matches a season currently to include league, Euro and test matches. If they weren't playing in the matches against Dragons and Zebre anyway (highly likely) why do you think that you would see test players more often?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

You have to start somewhere..

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:24 am
World XV Player

The Dragons in my opinion are more important than their results suggest.

I believe that the notion of regions needs to be representative to be legitimate. Hence why I think RGC should join.

I beleive that rather than throw Dragons away, we need to look to see what the problems are and fix it. I don't think that the better Dragons players would improve The Blues significantly enough to make The Blues better.

The Dragons seem to me to have fairly loyal crowd.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

How about a pro 16 with more Welsh teams involved , more players playing at a higher level more strength in depth

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
How about a pro 16 with more Welsh teams involved , more players playing at a higher level more strength in depth

and 30 games per club per season instead of 22???!

or are you going to contrive another formula

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:09 am
Regional Player

najbritcol wrote:

I'm not sure you can just "axe" a team. There are accords in place that these teams have signed that statre they must play in the competition. The Dragons are signatories to the Euro competition. The Celtic accord states that the WRU has to put forward 4 teams doesn't it?

Why would you give the best Dragons players to 1 region?

What about the Italian franchise being set up in Rome?

All pie in the sky.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

30 games a season is ok based on the fact not many of the players will be called up for international duty , a lot fewer rugbyless weekends .

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile E-mail

jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

30 games a season is ok based on the fact not many of the players will be called up for international duty , a lot fewer rugbyless weekends .

What you appear to be effectively advocating is a much bigger version of the 2001-03 Celtic League, where several Welsh clubs along with the four Irish provinces and the then three Scottish pro teams took part. And guess what? The Welsh teams did badly as their player base was spread too thinly and couldn't compete with the Irish. One reason why the regional teams were precisely set up in the first place. (Yes I know that the Welsh regions still have negative winning ratios against the Irish provinces, but the differences are marginal compared to what it was like when the then nine clubs competed).

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

najbritcol wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

What you appear to be effectively advocating is a much bigger version of the 2001-03 Celtic League, where several Welsh clubs along with the four Irish provinces and the then three Scottish pro teams took part. And guess what? The Welsh teams did badly as their player base was spread too thinly and couldn't compete with the Irish. One reason why the regional teams were precisely set up in the first place. (Yes I know that the Welsh regions still have negative winning ratios against the Irish provinces, but the differences are marginal compared to what it was like when the then nine clubs competed).

It also doesn't address how on earth Welsh rugby would afford these additional professional teams. People often slate the current 4 welsh pro teams for not having good players and coaches - then say the answer is to increase the need for more players and coaches. The mind boggles.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

bumble wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

It also doesn't address how on earth Welsh rugby would afford these additional professional teams. People often slate the current 4 welsh pro teams for not having good players and coaches - then say the answer is to increase the need for more players and coaches. The mind boggles.

Agreed. Not only would more teams mean more player simply to fill the squad but they would need additional players again to enable them to play the additional matches.

For me, a decent compromise for WRU and RRW would be a Pro10 with four Welsh Regions with a decent gap during the fourth international.

I don't believe that the Italian teams bring enough fans to make a huge dent in profits if these games were stopped. If the lost revenue from the two home games against the Italian teams makes this unworkable then maybe a domestic cup competition between the four regions or a 7s showcase or something similar (however see above - the reduced four games a year may reduce injuries and reduce the size of the squad needed).

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Cymru am byth wrote:

Agreed. Not only would more teams mean more player simply to fill the squad but they would need additional players again to enable them to play the additional matches.

For me, a decent compromise for WRU and RRW would be a Pro10 with four Welsh Regions with a decent gap during the fourth international.

I don't believe that the Italian teams bring enough fans to make a huge dent in profits if these games were stopped. If the lost revenue from the two home games against the Italian teams makes this unworkable then maybe a domestic cup competition between the four regions or a 7s showcase or something similar (however see above - the reduced four games a year may reduce injuries and reduce the size of the squad needed).

The loss of income would be through their payment contribution to the league wouldn't it?

All of this is moving deckchairs anyway. You can meddle with the pro12 as much as you want but it will still never achieve the income levels of the other pro leagues in Europe.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No competition with the level of support the Welsh sides get will

Better the devil you know IMO

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:09 pm
World XV Player

bumble wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

The loss of income would be through their payment contribution to the league wouldn't it?

All of this is moving deckchairs anyway. You can meddle with the pro12 as much as you want but it will still never achieve the income levels of the other pro leagues in Europe.

Good point re their payment contribution.

I don't believe that the games against the Italian teams are good adverts for the league though. A good, hard faught game with a full crowd (even with a loss) is more appealing than a 50 nil thrashing against the Italian teams in an empty stadium.

If you want to attract fans, the wet cold games againdt Italian teams just aren't good.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail

I do think that having one rather than two Italian teams would be more competitive and interesting though. After all, the Argentines and Japanese have benefited considerably already from each having a team in Super Rugby, even if neither win many games. And we can get rid of our own basket case the Dragons too.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:14 pm
Profile E-mail