It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Scarlets v Ulster 
World XV Player

Post Scarlets v Ulster
Scarlets v Ulster on Friday without a flyhalf (of note).
Oh! No, we're in trouble with only Dan Jones and Aled Thomas at flyhalf.
The cupboard is bare, need an SOS - urgently!
Hooky and The Priest are superflous for their Premier clubs send for one of them. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38485537

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:07 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Post Re: Scarlets v Ulster
Patchell hasn't been ruled out as such. And the other two aren't that bad either. Even so, I do think that Ulster will marginally win this.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Patchell hasn't been ruled out as such. And the other two aren't that bad either. Even so, I do think that Ulster will marginally win this.

Aled Thomas has disappointed me. He showed so much promise when he first came on the scene about 12 years ago. I thought he would become the 'real deal' but has never really progressed.
As regards Dan Jones, arguably has good potential, but I've never seen him as going very far in the game.
Maybe he will prove himself and show the improvement that we never got from Aled.
Funny enough, I still see glimpses of the pomise that Aled showed, but there's always been something lacking. To me what is really lacking in Aled is confidence, its this lack of confidence that lets him down with his goal kicking. I also wish that he would back himself a few more times during a game, he is quite capable of beating his man when he wants. All I can say about him really is summed up in the word 'frustration'.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:42 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Dan Jones is good at moving the backline, but his kicking from the tee can often be shoddy, and this was especially costly during the Junior World Championship back in June.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I went to the Scarlets website to look who was on the books for a reply here and have to say it is about the worst site I have ever used. terrible structure and counter intuitive.
Am I alone in that?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

soap wrote:
I went to the Scarlets website to look who was on the books for a reply here and have to say it is about the worst site I have ever used. terrible structure and counter intuitive.
Am I alone in that?

It is not that bad. Here's the squad: http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/games/pla ... earchname=

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Dan Jones is good at moving the backline, but his kicking from the tee can often be shoddy, and this was especially costly during the Junior World Championship back in June.

We have no one else besides Dan and Aled for penalties from the tee. TBQH Rhys is only marginally better.
We are missing a H'penny, Sam, Biggar, Hooky, Henson or Owen Williams.
Spreys are blessed with two of those, Sam and Biggar. In a tight game they can and often do make the difference.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
soap wrote:
Am I alone in that?

It is not that bad. Here's the squad: http://www.scarlets.co.uk/eng/games/pla ... earchname=

I did find it thanks, just found the site poor. I was looking if McNichol was a 10. seems he is not

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
soap wrote:
Am I alone in that?

I did find it thanks, just found the site poor. I was looking if McNichol was a 10. seems he is not

Yes the site is shite. Most clubs/regions give the positions of the players before looking at the blog. Scarlets, even the blog on the player is very poor with very little history.
But if you have been looking, there are no potential flyhalfs in the ranks, it is really a weak link. Its our own fault, we helped to destroy The Priest when he went through a rough patch and have paid for it ever since.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I was suprised when I clicked the linl how few points Dan Jones has scored considering how many times he has played.

101 appearances, 390 points - just over 3 per game

Compared to Rhys Patchell 16 appearances, 147 points - almost 11 per game.

I assume that is more a reflection of Dan Jones playing part matches and therefore fewer minutes per game?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:10 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
I was suprised when I clicked the linl how few points Dan Jones has scored considering how many times he has played.

101 appearances, 390 points - just over 3 per game

Compared to Rhys Patchell 16 appearances, 147 points - almost 11 per game.

I assume that is more a reflection of Dan Jones playing part matches and therefore fewer minutes per game?

Well yes.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

We have no one else besides Dan and Aled for penalties from the tee. TBQH Rhys is only marginally better.
Spreys are blessed with two of those, Sam and Biggar. In a tight game they can and often do make the difference.

You arent missing any of them they dont play for you :thefinger:

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:20 pm
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
BigRed wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

You arent missing any of them they dont play for you :thefinger:

What I was saying is we don't have a quality kicker - ignoramus. :D :D

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Think patchell is improving after a run at 10...he still has a lot to do if he is going to be considered an international 10 but compared to the beginning of the season he has got much better

His decision making is a bit hit and miss but a decent distributor and is more of a running threat than biggar, Davies or anscombe

Aled never convinced in my book and I'm also not sure about jones

Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
Think patchell is improving after a run at 10...he still has a lot to do if he is going to be considered an international 10 but compared to the beginning of the season he has got much better

His decision making is a bit hit and miss but a decent distributor and is more of a running threat than biggar, Davies or anscombe

Aled never convinced in my book and I'm also not sure about jones

I criticised Rhys after his performace against the Spreys. But then he came out against the Blues with all guns blazing.
I thought Aled as a youngster showed promised but never developed, as I said above, I think with him its a confidence thing. If he had the confidence of a Bigqar, I think he would have been good. I would like to see him taking a more attacking role when he is either at 15 or 10, I still believe he has the ability but not the confidence. Even when he does try to attack I get the feeling that its a bit half hearted.
The jury is till out on Dan, I wasn't convinced of him in the Wales U20 jersey and have yet to see him come good in a Scarlets jersey, but he is still young. I hope he proves us wrong.
One thing I do know, we're in trouble against Ulster without Rhys.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next