It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Irish 2017 New Year derbies 
International Player

Post Irish 2017 New Year derbies
Thanks to the centralised structure of Irish rugby, where the IRFU severely restricts the number of games first-choice players can appear (all in the name of "player welfare", of course), both Ulster and Munster have organised semi-second string squads for their respective away derbies to Leinster and Connacht, just as Leinster itself did against Munster on Boxing Day. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38467344
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38468777

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:48 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Post Re: Irish 2017 New Year derbies
As Wales Online says:

Due to the IRFU player management policy, the Irish provinces are only able to select their Test stars in one of the two festive derbies.

So you had the situation where Leinster took on Munster in Limerick on Boxing Day without a host of their key men, understandably choosing to field them in front of their own fans on New Year’s Eve when Ulster visit the RDS.

As a consequence, what should have been one of the games of the season was undermined and the credibility of the Pro12 diminished.

See full article here: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 7-12386918

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:17 am
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

more wales whinging .

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:49 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

watsthecraic wrote:
more wales whinging .

Nah just the one that appears to,have an agenda and starts endless threads without much substance!

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:49 am
World XV Player

The part of the article focusing on the P12 is entertaining. I was particularly impressed how it seeks to justify what the Dragons bring to the league. "they bring significant TV cash as one of the four Welsh teams." :D

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:06 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Keith L wrote:
watsthecraic wrote:
more wales whinging .

Nah just the one that appears to,have an agenda and starts endless threads without much substance!

I think the article generally hits the nail on rhe head.

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:33 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

What sides do play their best 15 each and every game?

Come the play offs we'll see whether this policy has a negative effect on the clubs involved.

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:18 pm
World XV Player

I find the article extremely confusing, should i say contradictory, it also fails to address the contradictions with any answer to the issues. He wants things to be better but has no answer.

"When you have spent eight years looking for contact, it’s hard to suddenly start looking for space. And when the focus has been on physicality, raw power and carrying up, switching to finesse, flair and ball-handling is easier said than done".

I have yet to see any back being coached to look for contact, yes the players have been using raw power to carry the ball up, but they are trying to hit the channels, the truth is the type of player we have does not have the finesse and flair and ball handling and footwork to play a different type of game. The player is what you have, you can use a chisel as a screw driver, but its not ideal and its still a chisel. So to be fair, as he points out.

"As such, if Wales are to play this more expansive game, they have to pick the right personnel, which means players who are comfortable with the ball in hand"

He doesnt say who these players are and further more if are capable of the physical demands of international rugby, do these players exist and if not why. Particularly defensively, Keelan Giles being an example, great in attack but looks a liability in defense :dontknow: Which brings us on too

"With high-risk rugby comes, well, high risk, and the focus on attacking ambition has coincided with defensive vulnerability. What was once such a strength of the Welsh game has now become a weakness with 39 tries conceded in 2016".

Why must having attacking ambition, coincide with defensive vulnerability. When you have the ball you attack when you dont have the ball you defend. Why cant you have a positive attacking mindset in tandem with a positive and effective defensive mindset. :dontknow:

Then we have the "And there needs to be an absolute clarity about what the team is trying to do. There can be no more scratching of heads or baffled, confused looks from players out on the park".
So is he saying that the players should be more robotic in their play and more heavily coached given less of a role on decision making ??? Or should they play whats in front of them, if a player plays whats in front of him how do you have absolute clarity, he sees what someone else does not see :scratch: Did "the failure to score against 13 Wallabies at the World Cup appeared to be something of an epiphany" but what form does the epiphany take, the glaring failure to score resulted after multiple phases of play where the structures had broken down, but the opportunity clearly existed. So did that as a result of the coaching or the players "lack of clarity about what the side is trying to do". I thought the side was trying to create a situation where an opportunity arose to but basic rugby practices into operation to take advantage of an adventurous situation :scratch: Surely the coaches have then done their job, you must then have the players to put it to bed with basics ???

The article said nothing asked nothing and gave no answers. What did it say. Was like a sish list to Santa. I would like to ask Simon where is his clarity of purpose, what should i take from the article, becuase i have no idea ???

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Leinster score their first of probably many tries :D

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:08 pm
World XV Player

Half Time

Con 3 - 6 Mun

a better game than the score line would indicate in the horizontal Galway weather

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:17 pm
Site Admin

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Half Time

Con 3 - 6 Mun

a better game than the score line would indicate in the horizontal Galway weather
The weather is awful if it gets any more foggy the players will disappear :D

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The lifeboat is on standby too

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:25 pm
World XV Player

The Sportsgound is quite full, apart from the one end where they'e stopped watching to build an Ark

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:35 pm
Site Admin

Con impressive in the scrum

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
The Sportsgound is quite full, apart from the one end where they'e stopped watching to build an Ark

With no sails presumably..

Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:41 pm