It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Could the Pro12 haters now please shut up? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Could the Pro12 haters now please shut up?
You dont win the league by being top of it. Leinster play Ulster next a game they are probably targetting to win!

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:53 pm
World XV Player

The top 6 looks set.

The top 4 is a little more difficult, as Glasgow in particular suffer in the international windows.

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:42 pm
Regional Junior Player

Here is 1 thing which would improve the Pro12. Welsh teams trying to actually win it, and with edge.

Wales is a much better rugby nation than Ireland, by a big distance.

So, when are welsh regions just going to get sick of losing out to Irish provinces??

Now that would make for a great Pro-12.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Rock Boy wrote:
Here is 1 thing which would improve the Pro12. Welsh teams trying to actually win it, and with edge.

So, when are welsh regions just going to get sick of losing out to Irish provinces??

???? by what criteria :scratch:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Rock Boy wrote:

West is best of course. Oh, hang on.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:06 am
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Blindside wrote:
Rock Boy wrote:

None

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:09 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

Irish sides are fine. Glasgow are decent. Ospreys usually up there.

Scarlets, Blues, Dragons, Edinburgh, Traviso and Zebre are off the pace.

We (Welsh) complain about the standard of the league, that's one eyed. The problem is us, the Welsh regions. We have one strong side/region but the rest are poor and have been for many years. The Ospreys have dominated the Welsh representation in the league and only Welah side to win the league. Could do again this year.

The other three regions need to sort it out. Ospreys are by no means perfect, but are certainly ahead of the pack. I hope they all catch up and the games/league is better for it.

Edinburgh and the Italian sides are a lost cause, neither have offered anything and are constantly looked as at "an easy bonus point" which devalues the league.

There's rumours of a Rome based side, which would offer more in terms of travelling support but hardly any regional rugby fans travel. I hope this starts to change as the main difference for me, is the off field crowds, media and money in the other leagues.

At present, I'd say the best sides in the pro12 are equal to any English side, if not better. Saracens are formidable, but so are Munster etc...

The Pro12 could be a quality league if ALL sides take it more seriously and the bottom half of the league Buck up their ideas.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

that would mean some of them sides accepting they are shit and doing something about it.

With Newport and Cardiff that will never happen. History see,

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:43 pm
Youth Player

I don't know that everything is as rosy in Irish rugby as it might appear.
There is still quite a narrow base, (the player numbers are grossly inflated) and still too much reliance on the same dozen or so schools.
All seems a bit top heavy and liable to collapse. I hope I'm being unduly pessimistic.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:49 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

That's the same in every country, because they are the big rugby schools duuhhh, the likes of Sligo are starting to produce players regularly. Pessimism and realism are 2 different things.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

pythagoras wrote:
There is still quite a narrow base, (the player numbers are grossly inflated) and still too much reliance on the same dozen or so schools.
All seems a bit top heavy and liable to collapse. I hope I'm being unduly pessimistic.

At Leinster at least, their conveyor belt of producing home grown talent looks pretty healthy.

Quote:
Academy the engine which drives a production line second to none in European game..........The real growth area in Leinster rugby is the club and youths game."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.2908852

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:08 pm
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Cathalsmart wrote:
That's the same in every country, because they are the big rugby schools duuhhh, the likes of Sligo are starting to produce players regularly. Pessimism and realism are 2 different things.

That's great but just 9 schools entering teams in the Munster School's Cup still looks a bit on the low side given that there are about 180 secondary schools in the province.
(not allowing for girls only schools). 2 of the 6 counties in Munster enter no schools at all and 2 more only enter one school each.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

Llew wrote:
pythagoras wrote:

At Leinster at least, their conveyor belt of producing home grown talent looks pretty healthy.

Quote:
Academy the engine which drives a production line second to none in European game..........The real growth area in Leinster rugby is the club and youths game."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.2908852

Go the Blackrock College and get on the school team and you have a ridiculously good chance of becoming a professional rugby player.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:30 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Daf12 wrote:
Irish sides are fine. Glasgow are decent. Ospreys usually up there.

Scarlets, Blues, Dragons, Edinburgh, Traviso and Zebre are off the pace.

We (Welsh) complain about the standard of the league, that's one eyed. The problem is us, the Welsh regions. We have one strong side/region but the rest are poor and have been for many years. The Ospreys have dominated the Welsh representation in the league and only Welah side to win the league. Could do again this year.

The other three regions need to sort it out. Ospreys are by no means perfect, but are certainly ahead of the pack. I hope they all catch up and the games/league is better for it.

Edinburgh and the Italian sides are a lost cause, neither have offered anything and are constantly looked as at "an easy bonus point" which devalues the league.

There's rumours of a Rome based side, which would offer more in terms of travelling support but hardly any regional rugby fans travel. I hope this starts to change as the main difference for me, is the off field crowds, media and money in the other leagues.

At present, I'd say the best sides in the pro12 are equal to any English side, if not better. Saracens are formidable, but so are Munster etc...

The Pro12 could be a quality league if ALL sides take it more seriously and the bottom half of the league Buck up their ideas.

Just for the record, the Scarlets won the Celtic League in 2004, a year before the Ospreys' first league title, and depending on how things go could be in contention this year. Although the Blues have never won the league, they did come second several years in a row before play-offs were introduced in 2010, and around that time won the Anglo-Welsh Cup and the European Challenge Cup. The one region which has been indisputably useless and ill-managed has been the Dragons, which in its first two or three seasons actually did quite well, but over the years has squandered and overlooked a potentially big player base in Gwent - Newport, Ebbw Vale, Cross Keys, Bedwas and now Bargoed - in favour of crappy second-rate South Africans.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:47 am
Profile E-mail
Youth Player

In that article Llew referenced about Leinster rugby it mentions 155 schools in the system.
Looking at the Leinster schools' cup for 2016 it looks like just 16 schools participated. All were the usual suspects with 14 of the 16 being
from the Pale and all being fee-paying schools, afaik.
(Interestingly one of the two non-Pale schools is actually based in Munster, Roscrea, the beaten finalists.)

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:51 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next