It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Pro 12 League Table 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pro 12 League Table
Llew wrote:
The Ospreys game against the Blues, now takes on a huge significance. This is a must win, with no room for error here, or they're in danger of dropping off the top four. I'd tip Scarlets to get maximum points against the dismal Dregs. That leaves Munster v Ulster. It'll be interesting see what team Munster put out here, as they have a massive home game the following week against Saracens in the CC Semis. Ulster could well win this one. All are key games, but it has to be Scarlets in the box seat now.

Yep! Judgement day couldn't be better named this year.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

1 Leinster 20 17 79
2 Munster 20 17 76
3 Scarlets 20 14 67
4 Ospreys 20 13 65
5 Ulster 20 13 64
6 Glasgow 20 11 57
7 Blues 20 9 45
8 Connacht 20 9 44
9 Edinburgh 20 4 23
10 Dragons 20 4 21
11 Treviso 20 4 19
12 Zebre 20 3 18

Glasgow still mathematically can reach the play-offs, depending on how Ulster and Ospreys do in the final two rounds, but it is unlikely. Scarlets can also mathematically reach second place and have a home semi-final, though given Munster's form that is even more unlikely still. What is also interesting is how the gap between the top and bottom halves of the table is bigger than at this time last season, where it really did go to the wire in the final round.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ospreys (67) :

W,L,L,L,L

Ospreys v Ulster
Scarlets v Ospreys

Ulster (65) :

W,W,W,D,L

Ospreys v Ulster
Ulster v Leinster

Scarlets (64) :

W,L,W,W,W

Connacht v Scarlets
Scarlets v Ospreys

Which two of these three make it to the play offs is on a knife edge. Difficult to choose between them, although based on current form and remaining games, Scarlets are in the stronger position. Ospreys on the other hand have it all to do, and are in meltdown at what is the business end of the season. They've literally fallen off a cliff this past month. This is going down to the wire, at PYS.

Blues still have a route to the CC though what will be a difficult play off route. The Dregs are beyond bad, and I expect one of the Italians to overhaul them.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:53 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Scarlets, Ospreys and Ulster are all capable of winning or losing their remaining games. So its all to play for for all three teams. Nothing is decided yet for those three.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 am
World XV Player

I think your there Rob, Ulster not getting the rub of the green like your lot and the O's have imploded.

Do Connacht fancy a RCC playoff though? Could be tough game for you if they do.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Fids the Blindside wrote:
I think your there Rob, Ulster not getting the rub of the green like your lot and the O's have imploded.

Although this doesn't at all justify their really bad performances of late, quite apart from losing AWJ and now Biggar the Ospreys are really short of wings and props atm. As for your point about Connacht, both they and the Blues will go in for Champions Cup play-offs anyway - they involve two Pro 12 teams, a Top 14 team and an Aviva Premiership team. But yes, while they are not the force of last season by any means, Connacht are still far from being pushovers especially at home.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:

Connacht will be tough fids and I'm more concerned about that game than the Os game at PyS to be honest. I think Scarlets could quite easily slip up against Connacht. Ulster are looking ok and if they beat the Os at the Liberty I can see them qualifying. Os are really struggling and will face a full strength Ulster team at the Liberty.

Way to close to call.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 am
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
1 Leinster 20 17 79
2 Munster 20 17 76
3 Scarlets 20 14 67
4 Ospreys 20 13 65
5 Ulster 20 13 64
6 Glasgow 20 11 57
7 Blues 20 9 45
8 Connacht 20 9 44
9 Edinburgh 20 4 23
10 Dragons 20 4 21
11 Treviso 20 4 19
12 Zebre 20 3 18

Glasgow still mathematically can reach the play-offs, depending on how Ulster and Ospreys do in the final two rounds, but it is unlikely. Scarlets can also mathematically reach second place and have a home semi-final, though given Munster's form that is even more unlikely still. What is also interesting is how the gap between the top and bottom halves of the table is bigger than at this time last season, where it really did go to the wire in the final round.

The Scarlets have 15 wins, not 14.. ;)

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:02 pm
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Ospreys (67) :

W,L,L,L,L

Ospreys v Ulster
Scarlets v Ospreys

Ulster (65) :

W,W,W,D,L

Ospreys v Ulster
Ulster v Leinster

Scarlets (64) :

W,L,W,W,W

Connacht v Scarlets
Scarlets v Ospreys

Which two of these three make it to the play offs is on a knife edge. Difficult to choose between them, although based on current form and remaining games, Scarlets are in the stronger position. Ospreys on the other hand have it all to do, and are in meltdown at what is the business end of the season. They've literally fallen off a cliff this past month. This is going down to the wire, at PYS.

Blues still have a route to the CC though what will be a difficult play off route. The Dregs are beyond bad, and I expect one of the Italians to overhaul them.

Another with the table incorrect! :D

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Bearing in mind my complacency has no effect on the team's performance I'd say we're nailed on in the top 4 now. Osps/Ulster battling for the last spot

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:34 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

wasp wrote:
Bearing in mind my complacency has no effect on the team's performance I'd say we're nailed on in the top 4 now. Osps/Ulster battling for the last spot

I cannot see the O's winning at the PYS based on the way they are playing right now. They were 35-3 down on Saturday.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:00 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:

Another with the table incorrect! :D

Oops :oops: :D

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail

Langland Exile wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
1 Leinster 20 17 79
2 Munster 20 17 76
3 Scarlets 20 14 67
4 Ospreys 20 13 65
5 Ulster 20 13 64
6 Glasgow 20 11 57
7 Blues 20 9 45
8 Connacht 20 9 44
9 Edinburgh 20 4 23
10 Dragons 20 4 21
11 Treviso 20 4 19
12 Zebre 20 3 18

The Scarlets have 15 wins, not 14.. ;)

Sorry, my mistake. Anyway, the top six are already guaranteed Champions Cup rugby next season. Leinster have a guaranteed home SF and probably Munster shall too. Therefore, the two remaining points of contention in the regular season are the away SF spots and which Italian no hoper (wrongly) gets a Champions Cup place. In fact, IMO the reformed Champions Cup rules should have gone further and said top seven teams regardless of country of origin and that's it.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail
Schools District Player

If we finish in the top four, I'd prefer to play Munster. Would love to go to Thomond Park. Went to Limerick 11 years ago on a junior rugby tour and even at 8 years old I could tell just what a great rugby place it is. Also, we've already beaten them at Thomond this season! (With a weakened Munster, I know.)

Fingers crossed!

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

The other minor element to be sorted out is the 20th qualifying spot for the Champions Cup.

The Top 6 all qualify automatically. The 7th ranking spot will go to either Zebre or Treviso - likely to be decided in the final round in their Italian derby. The top 6 can't be overtaken at this point.

Teams ranked 8th and 9th - Cardiff and Connacht - will play off against 7th placed teams in Top 14 and Premiership (unless one of them is the Challenge Cup winner who takes the spot instead.)

Playoff 1 - PRO12 9th rank plays 7th Premiership team away. e.g. currently, Harlequins v Connacht
Playoff 2 - PRO12 8th rank plays 7th Top 14 team away. e.g. Lyon v Cardiff

Winner of Playoff 1 then plays Winner of Playoff 2 at Home.

So currently, you could argue that it suits Connacht to be ranked below Cardiff. They can't be caught by Edinburgh, so they could afford to rest players, albeit there is a two week gap between Round 22 and the play off matches on 21/22 May.

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next