It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
Pro12 Growth 
thread ruining clique

Post Re: Pro12 Growth
Of course, the other obstacle to a B+I league is who would administrate and run it? Given PRL's anti union stance and PRW's vast over confidence in its own abilities, I'd guess those two would be full of bustle about it being a strictly club run venture. But then the WRU - like it or not - still have a massive amount of say in what the regions can and cannot do, and the Irish are union entities in entirety.

So, should PRL turn it's back on all the work it has done to get the RFU over a barrel, and open the doors to a load of whinging unions to come swarming into its private member's club, or should it just carry on down the highly lucrative and successful path it has carved for itself and not spend too much time worrying about the problems of four failed experiments from another country?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:41 am
World XV Player

The problem is one of the balance of power. 10 years ago, it wouldn't have been unthinkable for Ospreys to win the HC. Not likely, I admit but still possible. Now, the who balance is only going to concentrate. Efforts should be made to ensure that the balance is kept even as I don't think there will be the sustainability on rugby that football has. I could never imagine kids from Cardiff or Cornwall becoming massive Toulon fans.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Club rugby just isn't as popular as it used to be in Wales. The clubs could do with waking up to this fact instead of seeking to blame everyone and everything else.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:10 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Club rugby just isn't as popular as it used to be in Wales. The clubs could do with waking up to this fact instead of seeking to blame everyone and everything else.

Its thought of as a lost cause though.... rugby downward spiral :dontknow: :dontknow:
Appoint a guy who as only really ever been a professional sportsman like Ryan Jones as head of Head of Rugby Participation. Why dont we pick someone who is excellent at marketing and promoting the game as inside centre instead of Jamie Roberts :D

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Cymru am byth wrote:
The problem is one of the balance of power.............Efforts should be made to ensure that the balance is kept even as I don't think there will be the sustainability on rugby that football has......

That's a good point, clearly on show in the Franglais cup, where the differences in the teams' assets are massive. How you level the field though is not easy. The Franglais both use salary caps in an attempt to keep the brakes on some of the big power brokers. How effective that is in the manner it's policed is another contentious issue. The recent mess PRL made of trying to instigate it recently, highlights how difficult it is to control. And while they drive the market ever further forward, the rest are desperately trying to keep up. Your point though is valid, how long can it be kept up, and is it sustainable ? Everything has a tipping point. I don't know the answer, other than some form of NFL type system across Europe ? But, I really can't see any of the big guns entertaining any such step down to a level field. Why would they ?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:
The problem is one of the balance of power.............Efforts should be made to ensure that the balance is kept even as I don't think there will be the sustainability on rugby that football has......

That's a good point, clearly on show in the Franglais cup, where the differences in the teams' assets are massive. How you level the field though is not easy. The Franglais both use salary caps in an attempt to keep the brakes on some of the big power brokers. How effective that is in the manner it's policed is another contentious issue. The recent mess PRL made of trying to instigate it recently, highlights how difficult it is to control. And while they drive the market ever further forward, the rest are desperately trying to keep up. Your point though is valid, how long can it be kept up, and is it sustainable ? Everything has a tipping point. I don't know the answer, other than some form of NFL type system across Europe ? But, I really can't see any of the big guns entertaining any such step down to a level field. Why would they ?

You would have to be realistic then and aim to produce far more players of a higher standard, 10 year plan at least. Possibly only two major regions or clubs that in reality can afford to pay a over all wage bill that competes. More players mean we absorb and replace the players that go for the final payday abroad and the standard of more players, with less clubs should attract people who want to see meaningful contest against top teams in Europe. The would/may also be there for some TOP overseas players.

Even if football tripled its appeal in Wales and the rest of the UK stayed the same, could anyone imagine 3 Welsh teams in the Premiership. Before long there may well be none.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Llew wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

You would have to be realistic then and aim to produce far more players of a higher standard, 10 year plan at least. Possibly only two major regions or clubs that in reality can afford to pay a over all wage bill that competes. More players mean we absorb and replace the players that go for the final payday abroad and the standard of more players, with less clubs should attract people who want to see meaningful contest against top teams in Europe. The would/may also be there for some TOP overseas players.

Even if football tripled its appeal in Wales and the rest of the UK stayed the same, could anyone imagine 3 Welsh teams in the Premiership. Before long there may well be none.

That would require greater investment at the bottom of the game, to increase the volume and quality on the conveyor belt. ( Something I totally agree with you on ). But what actually happens when more money is poured in to the game via TV deals for example. How much of it actually filters to the bottom, and how much of it stays at the top end of the game. Everyone is chasing more money to compete at the top, and keep up with the French & English. It goes around and around in circles. What Alan Sugar calls the prune juice effect, when he commented on that massive football tv deal. Rugby union is nowhere near those figures, but the model it seeks to copy, is the football model.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Llew wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

That would require greater investment at the bottom of the game, to increase the volume and quality on the conveyor belt. ( Something I totally agree with you on ). But what actually happens when more money is poured in to the game via TV deals for example. How much of it actually filters to the bottom, and how much of it stays at the top end of the game. Everyone is chasing more money to compete at the top, and keep up with the French & English. It goes around and around in circles. What Alan Sugar calls the prune juice effect, when he commented on that massive football tv deal. Rugby union is nowhere near those figures, but the model it seeks to copy, is the football model.

Thats about the way it is.... the only benefactors are average to lower end players not wanted by the French and the English, who are earning more and more money, as the regions compete with their services amongst each other, hardly anybody wants to watch them, nobody else wants them. But they keep getting better and better contracts ! laughable.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llew wrote:
Blindside wrote:
Llew wrote:
Cymru am byth wrote:

The football model has a different factor though that rugby doesn't. Namely that there are far more teams in football with a far greater history and support than rugby. There are loads of players as well.

If you look at the list of FA cup final winners almost all the teams from very early on still exist with strong support. With enough investment, a billionaire has good reason to think that they could invest in say Nottingham Forest and win the Premiership. There is good reason to think that they could do well. There are possibly 50 teams in English football alone with decent heritage. This is before you start including all of the other teams around the world.

Taking rugby, there are probably 6 or 7 really good teams in Europe. And around the rest of the world say, at most 18 good teams... so arguably only 20-25 really good teams around the world.

Ignoring New Zealand for a moment. Recent international results suggest that the best players the southern and northern hemisphere national teams produce are fairly equal. In most sports or distribution curves, it would imply that the quality underlying our best and their best must be fairly similar. Ergo, our league teams are fairly equal. Ergo the gap between pro and semi pro players everywhere must be fairly narrow.

Even if you wanted to created another 'Toulon' I don't think there are
enough world class players to do it to more than a handful of teams - I guess - 8 teams? I reiterate, I make the numbers up. Compare with football. You can create teams with the quality of Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Arsenal , half of the Premiership, half the German, Spanish and Italian teams and maybe a few French onem - all containing players that one of the other teams would like. There is decent reason to believe that each stand a reasonable chance of beating eachother. There Probably another hundred maybe more decent or good teams around the world. There must be thousands of shit hot players in football. In rugby, I doubt there are more than perhaps a hundred of the quality of the Toulon team.

The point I am making is that I don't think that you can expect to put lots of money into rugby and suddently see this massive increase the overall quality of rugby in more than a handful of sides. In a game that requires far more players in each team to work. What you might end up with is a few decent teams concentrating the players but no obvious supply of underlying decent replacements. I.e. you poach from one team, they can't simply 'buy in' a new player. The sustainability of this model is flawed. Toulon do well, The Dragons do shit, the game presumably fails? As much as top football teams want to be the best, they need their opposition to exist. Of rugby teams start going bankrupt, there is no game.

The key therefore, clearly, isn't to concentrate on the elite. Going back to New Zealand - they must do something different. Firstly, their retention of their players and the reluctance of their players to leave certainly reduces the impact of imports into Europe. But secondly, they must concentrate on grassroots more than other parts of the world?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:27 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
You obviously don't watch that many T14 or Aviva games

You really should.

You shouldn't believe all your told

All 3 leagues have good, indifferent and poor sides.

I agree. Worcester Warriors and Newcastle Falcons always seem to be on the brink of relegation for a start. As for the Top 14, from what I can tell it is more fluid than the Aviva Premiership in terms of winners and losers.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:23 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

The picture on PRO12 crowd attendance after Round 12 compared to Round 12 last year looks like this in summary by country:

Code:
Country. 2015/16  2016/17   Inc/Dec
Ireland   271,175   313,469   +42,294
Wales   161,505   177,522   +16,017
Scotland   91,868   75,333   -16,535
Italy   33,501   29,201   -4,300

Overall, PRO12 crowds are up by about 37,500 on last year.

Round 12 saw further New Year full houses at both the RDS and squeaking the last of them into the rafters at the Sportsground for their derby against Munster with an extra 2,000 than their normal full house. Based on comparing the same matches with last year, Irish crowds are up by 30,000 for the season so far with Munster, Leinster and Connacht making the most gains. Ulster's admirable consistent gate of 15,500 shows there's not much room for improvement although their derby games against Connacht and Munster got crowds of over 17,500.

Scarlets and Dragons increased their derby attendances on last year with their respective games against Cardiff and Ospreys on New Year's Day. However, Parc y Scarlets and Rodney Parade are losing punters overall so far - down 3,600 and 2,2721 for the season. Ospreys and Cardiff have grown their crowds and have contributed to the overall increase of 16,000 for Welsh home crowds so far.

Scottish crowds have dropped 16,000 compared to the same rounds last year - in part because the 1872 derby has been shifted to end of season for the final weekend, and not as many went to Murrayfield for the first leg. Glasgow are constrained by Scotstoun limits but so far when comparing the same matches as last year, they've increased slightly by 2,200 - they've played one less home game (5) than most other teams who've played 6. Edinburgh are down 2,000 in comparison to the same games last year. Things should balance up more over the next few rounds.

The Italians are down by about 4,500 although with their less than accurate or regular reporting of attendances, it's hard to make any accurate comparison.

That brings the current total to 595,000 through the gates so far this season with an average gate so far of 8,500 for the season compared to 7,750 last season in the same time period.

Team Average Gates

To date by Round 12, most teams have increased their average gate compared to their seasontotal achieved last year - some marginal gains, some substantial. Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Ospreys, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Treviso have increased. Cardiff, Dragons, Scarlets, and Zebre are down so far - but this may change as more rounds are played and crowds increase towards the latter end of the season in better weather and races for places heat up.
Code:

Home Team Attendance League - ranked by average crowd

Team    Home Att     Games    Average
Leinster   112,480   6   18,747
Ulster   78,457   5   15,691
Munster   78,572   6   13,095
Ospreys   60,430   6   10,072
Cardiff   48,226   6   8,038
Glasgow   36,370   5   7,274
Scarlets   40,430   6   6,738
Edinburgh   38,963   6   6,494
Connacht   43,960   7   6,280
Dragons   28,436   6   4,739
Treviso   19,700   6   3,283
Zebre   9,501   5   1900

Away Team Attraction League - ranked by average crowd

Team    Away Att     Games    Average
Munster   83,545   6   13,924
Connacht   45,966   4   11,492
Ospreys   56,789   6   9,465
Dragons   54,686   6   9,114
Leinster   53,588   6   8,931
Scarlets   50,769   5   8,462
Treviso   46,481   6   7,747
Ulster   45,890   6   7,648
Glasgow   51,491   7   7,356
Cardiff   39,164   6   6,527
Edinburgh    36,652   6   6,109
Zebre   30,504   5   6,101

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:57 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pot Hale wrote:
The picture on PRO12 crowd attendance after Round 12 compared to Round 12 last year looks like this in summary by country:

Code:
[color=#0000FF][b]Scotland   91,868   75,333   -16,535[/b][/color]

To date by Round 12, most teams have increased their average gate compared to their seasontotal achieved last year - some marginal gains, some substantial. Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Ospreys, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Treviso have increased.

Comparison of gross gates and average to date can be misleading because of # of games played as is the case for Sco (down in one and up in the other).

Comparison of current averages and comparison by date is interesting because e.g for Regions only Osps are currently above average for all of last Season.

The other 3 are a lot less and although Drags and Blues will make up due to Judgement Day swing the Scarlets will not.

Pot, this just an off the cuff remark you're ahead of my game cos I haven't updated to incl round 12 results but I believe my comments above are valid.

The Away attraction league is interesting I may ask you offline for some info to add to my stats portfolio. Maybe we can swap some detail and graphics?

PS cross league comparisons interesting too...

Regards

Tel

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Code:

To date by Round 12, most teams have increased their average gate compared to their seasontotal achieved last year - some marginal gains, some substantial. Connacht, Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Ospreys, Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Treviso have increased.

Comparison of gross gates and average to date can be misleading because of # of games played as is the case for Sco (down in one and up in the other).

Comparison of current averages and comparison by date is interesting because e.g for Regions only Osps are currently above average for all of last Season.

The other 3 are a lot less and although Drags and Blues will make up due to Judgement Day swing the Scarlets will not.

Pot, this just an off the cuff remark you're ahead of my game cos I haven't updated to incl round 12 results but I believe my comments above are valid.

The Away attraction league is interesting I may ask you offline for some info to add to my stats portfolio. Maybe we can swap some detail and graphics?

Regards

Tel

The Scarlets' mid-season attendance rate last season was boosted by their Boxing Day match against the Ospreys (14,586 people), whereas this time that match is in Round 22 in May. They should hopefully get a good crowd for that match and thus boost their average attendance rate to an extent.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Code:

Regards

Tel

The Scarlets' mid-season attendance rate last season was boosted by their Boxing Day match against the Ospreys (14,586 people), whereas this time that match is in Round 22 in May. They should hopefully get a good crowd for that match and thus boost their average attendance rate to an extent.

If the issue is will they achieve parity with last year or increase it, ....surely that is an indctment ? ...they have a modern ground, they have a relatively successful Season and they still dont achieve the break even point of 8k issued 10 yrs ago?

You're interested in stats ... or at least cherry picked ones, .....what are Scarlets gate record over the last 10 years or so ...? Stats are only meaningful when there is sufficient data......

Do you consider that this year's apparent Pro 12 healthy status is going to provide the long awaited springboard for tangible growth.

Osps could be, jury not even called on the others at the mo?

Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:46 pm
Junior Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Regards

Tel

Thanks for that Tel. Don't disagree with your comments. As well as Ospreys at this point in the season, Cardiff Blues are also doing better in attendances on the same matches as last year. Clearly they are very dependent on Judgement Day to boost their figures - 34,000 for that match last year. If they get the same or near enough, then the other matches will determine if they continue their current improvement. They increased against Dragons, but reduced against Scarlets. Interestingly, they increased against Leinster by nearly 3,000, which since Welsh sides generally don't have good attendances against the provinces, could buck the trend. They still have to play Connacht and Munster but those will be during the 6N. If they can hit an average of 6,000 approx or greater in their remaining matches and get at least 30k from JDay, then they will remain ahead for the season.

Scarlets, on the other hand, are down 4,000 approx already on matches played so far. they've dropped attendances in all matches bar one minor increase against Cardiff. They need a full house crowd against Ospreys, and a minimum average of 6,500 for remainder of their games just to break even with last season. Their remaining home matches are against Ulster, Zebre, Edinburgh, Treviso - none of them likely to be crowd pullers unless a big crowd turn up this Friday against Ulster given they both need a win - and Scarlets are on a good streak currently which might help put bums on seats. But I don't see it as likely and they'll hit 80,000 total for the season.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next