It is currently Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Pro12 Growth 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pro12 Growth
spinbreath wrote:
It's like me turning up at Buckingham Palace and telling the Queen she'd be loads better off with me in her family.
It's the delusion of a fantasist who cannot accept reality

Yep, the idea of Welsh teams playing in English leagues is pure fantasy. I mean it's not like it happens in pretty much every major sport played in this country. Absurd idea. I mean what will they come up with next, a Welsh side in English football's Premier League, arguably the largest commercial football league in the world?

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:13 pm
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

tom21 wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
It's like me turning up at Buckingham Palace and telling the Queen she'd be loads better off with me in her family.

Yep, the idea of Welsh teams playing in English leagues is pure fantasy. I mean it's not like it happens in pretty much every major sport played in this country. Absurd idea. I mean what will they come up with next, a Welsh side in English football's Premier League, arguably the largest commercial football league in the world?

:D :D

The Welsh are also exclusively in a domestic competition with the English run by PRL and BT Sport already. Pure Fantasy!

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The development cup thing?

FFS :D

Sean Spicer, Whitehouse press secretary 21/01/17

We've had Comical Ali we now have Deluded Sean

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 pm
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

The reasons for Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham ans Newport playing for the English league stretch back over 100 years I understand. It isn't as if they forced themselves into the system in its current form. I.e. their inclusion is pre the massive financial era of now.

The analogy you draw in football is more similar to Rangers and Celtic joining the English Premiership. The questions of which league they should start in, how big the league should be, ringfencing and the impact on the other Scottish teams are far closer. In short, I can't see them joining soon.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No one can join the AP because the clubs below would go apeshit, like they did when it was mooted during the RCC talks.

Its a completely new league like a B&I or nothing

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:48 pm
thread ruining clique

Sort of a catch 22, isn't it? The AP is the wonderful league we're all supposed to look up to, run by geniuses who stuck it to the unions. Yet in all their brilliance and success, they never invited the Welsh clubs to join.
So, they're either morons for turning down the golden opportunity of embracing the historic, wonderful regions, or else there's a good reason they didn't bother inviting the hobos to the disco.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Sort of a catch 22, isn't it? The AP is the wonderful league we're all supposed to look up to, run by geniuses who stuck it to the unions. Yet in all their brilliance and success, they never invited the Welsh clubs to join.
So, they're either morons for turning down the golden opportunity of embracing the historic, wonderful regions, or else there's a good reason they didn't bother inviting the hobos to the disco.

Pretty sure there was an offer made after the rebel season wasn't there?

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Nearly twenty years ago, not exactly relevant considering whats gone on since

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:06 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
No one can join the AP because the clubs below would go apeshit, like they did when it was mooted during the RCC talks.

Have to agree with that Fids. It would need a major overhaul of the current English system to accommodate four Welsh teams. I don't think there are many involved in English rugby who currently feel there is any need for such an overhaul (though there might be an expansion to 14 sides in the future). The only way I could see a need for change is if European competition ceased to exist.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:

Have to agree with that Fids. It would need a major overhaul of the current English system to accommodate four Welsh teams. I don't think there are many involved in English rugby who currently feel there is any need for such an overhaul (though there might be an expansion to 14 sides in the future). The only way I could see a need for change is if European competition ceased to exist.

Another point worth making Tom? Even the staunchest, most 'anti-regions' posters on here, would, I think, (if the offer was firmly on the table) consider it pretty dumb not to, at least, enter into negotiations with the English clubs? For me, (and I'm not for one minute suggesting I speak for anyone else?) would love to see at least 2 of our current regions competing against the English clubs on level terms!!
We could certainly dispense with the Dragons........ Let's be fair, they don't even have the ambition/cash/wherewithal, to be considered in any Anglo-Welsh competition, including the Aviva (if it were on offer?) At the opposite end, you have the Ospreys who, in my opinion, would be a very effective addition for many reasons, if they operated in the Aviva? In fact, if the Aviva were to be on 'offer' I'd imagine the English clubs if asked, would nominate them as an absolute must!!
That then, leaves just one-from-two? (We'd never get more than an offer of two Welsh entrants IMO!!) and for myriad reasons, I'd think that Cardiff would be the logical, obvious choice?

Thing is though, assuming we know which two could be 'in the frame' it still begs the obvious, that being, even the wildest optimist has yet to suggest (to me anyway?) why, how, If and when, such an offer would ever be made by PRL? I'd love it, but honestly, I just do not see it, sadly!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 pm
World XV Player

I've said for 5 or 6 years we only have the player base and resources for 2 sides to compete all season long at club level while supplying International players too.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:04 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
tom21 wrote:

Another point worth making Tom? Even the staunchest, most 'anti-regions' posters on here, would, I think, (if the offer was firmly on the table) consider it pretty dumb not to, at least, enter into negotiations with the English clubs? For me, (and I'm not for one minute suggesting I speak for anyone else?) would love to see at least 2 of our current regions competing against the English clubs on level terms!!
We could certainly dispense with the Dragons........ Let's be fair, they don't even have the ambition/cash/wherewithal, to be considered in any Anglo-Welsh competition, including the Aviva (if it were on offer?) At the opposite end, you have the Ospreys who, in my opinion, would be a very effective addition for many reasons, if they operated in the Aviva? In fact, if the Aviva were to be on 'offer' I'd imagine the English clubs if asked, would nominate them as an absolute must!!
That then, leaves just one-from-two? (We'd never get more than an offer of two Welsh entrants IMO!!) and for myriad reasons, I'd think that Cardiff would be the logical, obvious choice?

Thing is though, assuming we know which two could be 'in the frame' it still begs the obvious, that being, even the wildest optimist has yet to suggest (to me anyway?) why, how, If and when, such an offer would ever be made by PRL? I'd love it, but honestly, I just do not see it, sadly!!

Some interesting points Otto. Should the English decide to match the French and go to 14 sides, then that might present an opportunity. I have mentioned it before, but I think Cardiff and Ospreys in particular would be two strong candidates in that scenario, especially when put up against some of the teams currently in the Championship. It would be a big move, but I think it has to also be noted that the motivations of PRL and BT Sport may not be totally in line with those of others.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I've said for 5 or 6 years we only have the player base and resources for 2 sides to compete all season long at club level while supplying International players too.

Fair point and I think there is a reasonable argument for that set up, but that would surely impact on the development opportunities of younger players.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

tom21 wrote:

Fair point and I think there is a reasonable argument for that set up, but that would surely impact on the development opportunities of younger players.

Maybe in the pre-internet era when there was little mobility available?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:07 am
World XV Player

The best way I can think of stopping the development of talent is to stifle it we need more opportunities forcE A player's to play at higher levels not less.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:54 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next