It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Pro12 Growth 
World XV Player

Post Re: Pro12 Growth
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
eborr wrote:
I suppose they could logistically have chosen a more difficult place for European based franchises to get to, but it would be a struggle. The notion of a team flying for 12-13 hour's to get to Josie and them clearing immigration and going onto a 90 minute domestic flight in bonkers. I know that there are a lot of committed rugby fans in Bloem but I can't see large contingents of away supporters coming in from Newport or Llanelli.

The Southern hemisphere teams regularly travel long distance and have an exhilarating competition .. it is only our muddy boots that stand in the way of progress. As for travelling fans .. are you serious? Who in their right mind would have gone to inbred newport anyway? I did, even took my Wife, sat in the stands to be safe I thought .. bloody mongrels threatened us just because I shouted 'Dragons'. After that I never took her again but went on my own and met Steve Trow and Joe Cocker, good lad's both.

I admire The Scarlet's and don't think they should be mentioned in the same sentence as the other lot.

One of the reasons I enjoyed the Dragon's games was Percy thumping the ball off the roof.

I bow to your semantic precision? :D
(ref another conversation on this Board)

Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:02 pm
Site Admin

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/0 ... o-12-2018/

Washington it is then :)

Internet Marketing Consultancy - SEO Agony Uncle

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/07/05/washington-dc-reportedly-join-guinness-pro-12-2018/

Coached by Uncle Tom Cobbley presumably?

and to be called the Bertram Mills League(old timers may recognise)i

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm
World XV Player

Chris ScumV wrote:
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2017/07/05/washington-dc-reportedly-join-guinness-pro-12-2018/

Who is paying for it?

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 pm
thread ruining clique

I'm not sure the new league will be geographically diverse enough. Is there not a team in Siberia they could invite?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 am
Regional Player

spinbreath wrote:
I'm not sure the new league will be geographically diverse enough. Is there not a team in Siberia they could invite?

Ensei STM, Connacht drew them in the Challenge Cup a couple of years back. 6000km each way so the game went ahead at -20C. The plane broke down on the way back and it took the squad 3 days to get home.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:40 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Don't see the problem with SA and US sides joining. The league is ridiculed for being weak yet they are now being ridiculed for attempting to make it stronger and appeal commercially to a wider audience.

All good as far as I am concerned

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:41 am
Profile ICQ WWW
World XV Player

Andrew (Scum V) wrote:
Don't see the problem with SA and US sides joining. The league is ridiculed for being weak yet they are now being ridiculed for attempting to make it stronger and appeal commercially to a wider audience.

All good as far as I am concerned

I think it's a good idea and if they can seed the competition properly it will serve for the inevitable Club International growth with conferences.

I hope too that it will force authorities to have a comprehensive system that will include the developing countries in the seeding, .... something the EPRC promised but didn't deliver :angry4: ...the third level was exempted.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:37 pm
World XV Player

another SA team the Pro12 organizers can look at is the Steval Pumas.
Constantly a good Currie Cup performer. Ended way on top of the Kings. Have beaten the likes of the Bulls and Sharks.
Good players such as 7 stars Kwagga Smith and Rocco Specman although Kwagga moved to the Lions recently. Koch and Duane Vermeulen also products of the Steval Puma Currie cup pack.
Been treated unfair in sa when it came to international exposure very much like the Lions who are currently second on the combined S18 log

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 pm
World XV Player

from sa I would suggest
Kings , Cheetahs , Steval Pumas and Griquas
on a promo/rele basis with Currie cup teams

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:11 am
World XV Player

Griquas beat the Lions this weekend in the SuperSport RugbyChallenge semi-final 33-21. Will play Western province on Saturday in the final.
Lions having an off weekend in S18 were loaded with their S18 players
Last year Griquas beat the Lions in the Currie Cup. One of two teams to accomplish that, the other one the Cheetahs that will play in the Pro12

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:30 pm
Regional Player

If they can sort the travelling/stay times out - and there are obvious difficulties - it can only be a good thing. Be nice to see some new exotica in the league rather than the same old teams.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I'd rather have the flight to Europe than a 32 hour Australasia trip flying forward in time with less prep time

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:38 am
World XV Player

going to an away game will be interesting!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:
going to an away game will be interesting!

Not really, very few go to home games. I will be interested to see if the Scarlets' season ticket numbers go up after least season's successes.

I hope they do, but...I doubt it

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:13 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next