It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Is the pro 14 the best league in the world 
British & Irish Lions Player

Post Re: Is the pro 14 the best league in the world
AverageBBCjournalist wrote:
I’m not sure that we want to introduce relegation to the pro 14

Removing it promotes attacking rugby as opposed to the stodgy, do not lose mentality seen in England and France

The meritocracy in European qualification is important though

I don't see how relegation would be possible because there is nobody to promote. Which credible team is "knocking at the door"? The Pro14 doesn't even have a Bristol equivalent.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:

Removing it promotes attacking rugby as opposed to the stodgy, do not lose mentality seen in England and France

I don't see how relegation would be possible because there is nobody to promote. Which credible team is "knocking at the door"? The Pro14 doesn't even have a Bristol equivalent.

that is deliberate , so as (in Wales at least ) to protect the favoured 4 ,

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

jimcardiff wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:

Everywhere I think. You would basically have to rip it up and start again. You could not promote Merthyr, Melrose or Lansdowne and think you were improving the competition unless you engineered wholesale player movements from other clubs to make them competitive at the same time.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:44 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stockholm Blue wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
Stockholm Blue wrote:

Everywhere I think. You would basically have to rip it up and start again. You could not promote Merthyr, Melrose or Lansdowne and think you were improving the competition unless you engineered wholesale player movements from other clubs to make them competitive at the same time.

I don't think it is necessarily about protecting the 4 teams per se.

As I have mentioned else where (apologies if it is in this trhead):

- there problably aren't enough players in the 4 regions to support 4 teams.
- The quality of a team that was promoted at the expense of one of the current regions is therefore likely to have even poorer quality players.
- The better players from the relegated team would therefore either jump ship to the promoted team, or move to another club entirely, probably out of Wales.
- To entice players to play for the promoted team, you would probably have to pay more than the current wages, as the region is the most likely to become relegated (and therefore the least appealing). The chances are these would be foreign players.

The conclusion, is that quality would likely drop overall, as the relegated and promoted teams would more than likely always be swapping places. Wages would also be more expensive.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

The plan is to expand to 16 teams in the short term with SARU. American and European options have been long-fingered, according to Anayi.

Roux and Erasmus joining the board of PRO14 after first season is a sign of progress. SARU committed to having both teams’ squads with some test level players so next season will be interesting to see what they can achieve. Roux has previously indicated that they would look at having the Bok squad for November tests use players from PRO14 teams who would be familiar with playing in NH weather/pitches/tactics.

The current participation agreement with SARU is for six years with a midpoint review at end of 2019/20 season to assess progress and performance of Cheetahs and Kings and also to consider adding more SA teams if they expressed an interest in joining PRO14. That could be Stormers and Sharks or it could be teams like Griquas.

The Anglo Welsh will not last. B&I Cup is finished. A new B&I development comp at u23 level is likely to be considered involving Premiership teams as well. PRL have been asked about being involved in a new development comp and expressed interest but no commitment to anything yet. They have other changes to consider.

2020 is going to be a change point for a number of comps and structures in my view. European Cup agreement will need to be renegotiated. The Premiership may want to reduce the number of teams in Champions Cup if they ringfence and expand to 14. The SA teams will want to compete in it. There’s a New TV deal for European Cup organizers to negotiate during 2020/21 season. And, of course, the new global season starts with season ending in June 2020 and tests moving to July.

A new PRO16 Championship (it’s not a traditional H&A league any more) would allow for a shorter regular season of say 18 games plus finals, if desired, and clear the test windows for enlarged u23 comp to be played. But not all teams would be able to play each other particularly if derbies were to be maintained.

Lots of possibilities to be considered.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Pot Hale wrote:
The plan is to expand to 16 teams in the short term with SARU. American and European options have been long-fingered, according to Anayi.

Roux and Erasmus joining the board of PRO14 after first season is a sign of progress. SARU committed to having both teams’ squads with some test level players so next season will be interesting to see what they can achieve. Roux has previously indicated that they would look at having the Bok squad for November tests use players from PRO14 teams who would be familiar with playing in NH weather/pitches/tactics.

The current participation agreement with SARU is for six years with a midpoint review at end of 2019/20 season to assess progress and performance of Cheetahs and Kings and also to consider adding more SA teams if they expressed an interest in joining PRO14. That could be Stormers and Sharks or it could be teams like Griquas.

The Anglo Welsh will not last. B&I Cup is finished. A new B&I development comp at u23 level is likely to be considered involving Premiership teams as well. PRL have been asked about being involved in a new development comp and expressed interest but no commitment to anything yet. They have other changes to consider.

2020 is going to be a change point for a number of comps and structures in my view. European Cup agreement will need to be renegotiated. The Premiership may want to reduce the number of teams in Champions Cup if they ringfence and expand to 14. The SA teams will want to compete in it. There’s a New TV deal for European Cup organizers to negotiate during 2020/21 season. And, of course, the new global season starts with season ending in June 2020 and tests moving to July.

A new PRO16 Championship (it’s not a traditional H&A league any more) would allow for a shorter regular season of say 18 games plus finals, if desired, and clear the test windows for enlarged u23 comp to be played. But not all teams would be able to play each other particularly if derbies were to be maintained.

Lots of possibilities to be considered.

PH

In ny opinion fuller SA presence would involve a membership into the EPCR ...already muted (talks/ negotiations denied).

Inevitably, imo, this will lead to a Conference like set up with the franglais involved.

This would be a powerful step ahead for N Hemp rugby.

Your view appreciated ....

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:26 am