It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Birds 
World XV Player

Post Birds
Anyone else into them? I have my feeders out all year around and I love watching them come and feed, I'm in my garden just now and can hear them all singing their pre roosting stuff, it's marvelous. This year during the cold snap, I've had a Black Cap, a Reed Warbler and some Field Fares in the garden. It was unbelievable. I read an article in the paper that told me why, it was because at the usual feeding grounds there was little food, as simple as that. I keep a record of every new species I see. I do the RSPB survey every year. I've noticed that when I'm down in Cardiff it's so different to what we get here....Any other anoraks out there? I'm not holding my breath.. :)

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu May 03, 2018 7:49 pm
International Player

Post Re: Birds
Not all avian visitors seem competent to use the feeders. So we have a ground crew (hedge sparrows, chaffinches, house sparrows, robins, jays, magpies, etc) which cleans up all the seeds and whatnot dropped by the birds actually perching on the feeders.

We also have a pheasant (part of the ground crew) which has a running feud with the dog. Somehow or other, the dog always seems to know when the pheasant turns up and demands to be let out whereupon there follows a mad chase down the garden, a lot of noise and a triumphant reappearance of the dog. I almost have the impression that this is a game between the two of them since the pheasant is never gone for long.

Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I love watching the birds. Get lots of finches in the garden lately. There’s a great big wood pigeon nesting in a conifer tree next door; it makes the most undignified landing possible, just sort of falls into the tree. I always shout G’wan Fatty when I see him, and he looks around all embarrassed.
I’ve recently learned the difference between a sparrow and a dunnock, which is my proudest achievement to date.

Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
I love watching the birds. Get lots of finches in the garden lately. There’s a great big wood pigeon nesting in a conifer tree next door; it makes the most undignified landing possible, just sort of falls into the tree. I always shout G’wan Fatty when I see him, and he looks around all embarrassed.

I’ve recently learned the difference between a sparrow and a dunnock, which is my proudest achievement to date.

Keep feeding because the horny little devils need all their energy.

Don't listen to "experts" advising us to let the birds eat naturally because the weather is so unpredictable that they need our help - sunflower hearts are universally popular down here.

:thumbup:

Fri May 04, 2018 8:39 am
World XV Player

Post Avian gflu
We're avid nature and animal welfare supporters!

Loved bird watching as a youngster and have continued to a large extent.

We have usually lived in a country environment. Moved into french town living 16 years ago having passed the previous 10 years in somewhat isolated french country circumstances before (circumstance obligated).

We keep a garden in the best nature support aspect that we can achieve (high walls clad with ivy, shrubs which provide protection and fruit (pyro canthus etc)) in the circumstances .... have a host of house sparrows that nest, finches, redstarts, tits and regular blackbirds that nest too.

We keep a large ornate drinker and have very regular visit from collared doves and the bath time there is very entertaining.

Love it.

We live within a close radius of a nuclear centre (par for the course in France and UK if you consider their presence on the North Coast of France :D ), haven't noticed any fall off but the incidence of Swallow and Martins arrivals have reduced markedly.

The arrival of V formation Cranes always exciting.

The incidence of avian flu has had a dramatic effect!
We live in the epicentre of poultry products and the Region is highly dependent on that Industry. We used to visit a larrge local lake and walking area ... the bird population was huge and vried, water birds a speciality and some very rare visitors from Siberia and the like. Commarants were everywhere and the cacophony of bird sounds outstanding.

Avian flu arrived and there were lots of restrictions. When we visited the next time ....silence! All had presumably been culled.

Years later it is still poorly clad with wildfowl :angry4:

Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 pm
thread ruining clique

There's an absolutely incredible hide at Lake Vyrnwy. Just past the dam, looks like an ordinary shed from the outside, but there's a window looking out over a chasm and a dozen feeders hanging up. You'll see every bird you never thought you'd see, flitting around three feet in front of your face. Fortunately, the RSPB have identification charts to hand, so you'll know what you're looking at.

Fri May 04, 2018 12:50 pm
World XV Player

My garden used to be an Oasis for birds I was well chuffed.

My Right neighbour took a dislike and put out nails and poison and I ended up getting arrested for objecting, nothing followed because it was unjust but I do wonder how on times our officers are so dumb!

Next door to the left the new people chopped down their trees thus denying the birds sanctuary.

My garden now is a desert.

I could get angry about this but one time in the clink is enough for me.

Sat May 05, 2018 4:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I watched out his morning. 3 Magpies, 3 Blackbirds, 3 pigeons, A young Robin, a Great Tit and two Long Tailed Tits. I don't count the high soaring sea gulls or the racing pigeons. Oh and a Dunnock. This was over the space of 2 hours with them all seemingly rotating around the local area, our place being on their list of places to visit. I'll put more food out and fresh water and see if I can't improve their experience :-)

Sat May 12, 2018 11:41 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
I watched out his morning. 3 Magpies, 3 Blackbirds, 3 pigeons, A young Robin, a Great Tit and two Long Tailed Tits. I don't count the high soaring sea gulls or the racing pigeons. Oh and a Dunnock. This was over the space of 2 hours with them all seemingly rotating around the local area, our place being on their list of places to visit. I'll put more food out and fresh water and see if I can't improve their experience :-)

We try to dicourag Magpies, they raid nests and kill young.

Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 pm
World XV Player

There used to be a lot of swallows where i work , then about 5 years ago it was decided the were a risk to health and safety , so a falconer was employed to discourage them , then all the out buildings were sealed off so they could not nest, very sad I got told to shut up complaining as I wasnt helping.

Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

My mother is in a nursing home, and like me is not a big TV watcher. They have just put one of these 'multi story' bird table things outside her window.

Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 pm
Profile E-mail