It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 am

The perils of Ancestry........ 
World XV Player

Post Re: The perils of Ancestry........
Gaelic is Goedelic Welsh is Brythonic ... different peoples.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:07 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Very informative thread.

Probably worthy of its own thread but how come as near neighbours Irish and Welsh language are so different? Surely we had regular interactions with each other. Irish, Manx, Scots Gaelic I believe can be understood by the speakers of each of the other two to a great degree but Welsh is another matter.

We never did like foreigners :twisted: .

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
They'll have probably heard of Alfred The Great and Wessex, a great King who the english take as one of their own ... but england didn't exist then so their theft is just Norman nonsense.

As things turned out, in those days, South Wales had more in common with Wessex than with North Wales. Based on what criteria?

You only have to listen to the Cardiff and Bristol accents on tv shows to realise the commonality of our folks. Using accents as evidence for that is dodgy. Especially as until half way through the industrial revolution the overwhelming accent in South Wales would have been accents spoken in the Welsh language and not in English.
They just happen to have to pay to come home over the bridge is all.

Folks coming in to a place tend to adopt the local accent so as to be understood. If you can't understand the concept of an estuary accent then that's fine ... it doesn't alter the fact though.

That you know nothing of Asser surprises me not a little.

Read more and argue less.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:24 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
eog wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
They'll have probably heard of Alfred The Great and Wessex, a great King who the english take as one of their own ... but england didn't exist then so their theft is just Norman nonsense.

As things turned out, in those days, South Wales had more in common with Wessex than with North Wales. Based on what criteria?

You only have to listen to the Cardiff and Bristol accents on tv shows to realise the commonality of our folks. Using accents as evidence for that is dodgy. Especially as until half way through the industrial revolution the overwhelming accent in South Wales would have been accents spoken in the Welsh language and not in English.
They just happen to have to pay to come home over the bridge is all.

Folks coming in to a place tend to adopt the local accent so as to be understood. If you can't understand the concept of an estuary accent then that's fine ... it doesn't alter the fact though.
Any similarities between the ENGLISH accents spoken in South Wales and the West country in modern times is absolutely irrelevant to your argument for the similarites between South Wales and Wessex over a THOUSAND years ago. :roll:
That you know nothing of Asser surprises me not a little.
What do you know about what I know. :roll: You asserted that "..South Wales had more in common with Wessex than with North Wales."
I asked you to justify that.
You haven't.

Read more and argue less.

I'd like to read your reasons why you think South Wales had more in common with Wessex than with North Wales.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:

According to the most recent genetic research it's same people but different languages.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

According to the most recent genetic research it's same people but different languages.

A lot of Irish families come from the Welsh that went over with the Normans, the Walsh, Wogans, Taafes,etc plus the cambro-Norman’s mixes Gerald’s and Fitzgerald’s.

God promised the end of all wicked people, Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't know about you but I don't see any ice giants.
-- Are You a Wealthy Affiliate Yet? - Get Started Here --
Subscribe Advertise and Make Money

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

cottontop wrote:
eog wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

A lot of Irish families come from the Welsh that went over with the Normans, the Walsh, Wogans, Taafes,etc plus the cambro-Norman’s mixes Gerald’s and Fitzgerald’s.

Where I live its rural Dublin and has its own unique country accent, now sadly dying out as the D4 accent spreads ever more north in Dublin. A few hundred years ago it had its own language which was thought to have derived from Middle English. When I was growing up the older people use to pronounce the surname Walsh "Welsh" which always struck me as strange but it appears they were correct.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
cottontop wrote:
eog wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Where I live its rural Dublin and has its own unique country accent, now sadly dying out as the D4 accent spreads ever more north in Dublin. A few hundred years ago it had its own language which was thought to have derived from Middle English. When I was growing up the older people use to pronounce the surname Walsh "Welsh" which always struck me as strange but it appears they were correct.

Depending on who you read, the name/term Welsh actually means foreign old English ( which was several languages ) so it could have been people from anywhere really. Depending on when the name was used/given I suppose?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

No.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
No.

You are just saying that.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

;)

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:22 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
;)

What you should have said is that ones knowledge of one's name comes from family and community not a bunch of ancient foreigners.

It doesn't depend upon how you read a name .. it depends upon how a person answers.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:14 pm
Profile E-mail