It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 pm

How do you describe your national identity? 

Welsh 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
British 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Both equally 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

World XV Player

Post How do you describe your national identity?
Do you prefer to say you are Welsh or British?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Welsh by choice butbindonuse a British passport , cos I got no choice in it.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I would prefer a European Welsh option, but thats up the swannee now.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

He stopped using his questioning style of header for a while.

Ah well ...

:yawn:

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

PS why the question?

The Spanish think they are a pain in the groin too

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:13 am
International Player

loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D

It's not down to Japan or other host countries.
The problem lies with the UK (contents 90% England). It has provided the official UK translation of "British Embassy" as "English Embassy" to quite a few countries.
If you ask why it's not corrected, the answer boils down to - Johnny Foreigner would get confused if we changed it.
If you point out that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to have had no problem with changes such as Ceylon to Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe or USSR to Russian Federation they don't have a coherent never mind a convincing argument.

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

PS why the question?

The problem lies with the UK (contents 90% England). It has provided the official UK translation of "British Embassy" as "English Embassy" to quite a few countries.
If you ask why it's not corrected, the answer boils down to - Johnny Foreigner would get confused if we changed it.
If you point out that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to have had no problem with changes such as Ceylon to Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe or USSR to Russian Federation they don't have a coherent never mind a convincing argument.

But there is Grande Bretagne (les britanniques), Royaume Uni Les Celtes, Psys de Galles, Ecosse , L'Irlande ....

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:50 pm
World XV Player

Flawed Poll.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:39 am
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:
eog wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

PS why the question?

But there is Grande Bretagne (les britanniques), Royaume Uni Les Celtes, Psys de Galles, Ecosse , L'Irlande ....

But what is your point?

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
eog wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

PS why the question?

But what is your point?

I think you overcook the English Embassy aspect, British Embassy dominates.

Ref my comment on french translations there are multiple opportunities to recognise the other countries within the UK, e.g the area which I live is very Rugby oriented and the french recognise the separate entities very well but still inexplicably often refer to les Anglais as a generic :scratch: ... Wartime also emphasised the British/Britannique aspect.

The Bretons refer proudly to membership of Les Celtes and celebrate a huge Celtic festival there where the Welsh, Scots Irish are well recognised as separate entities.

It is too easy just explain it away as a big % aspect.

The different identity of english/anglais as Anglo Saxon is also readily recognised.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:27 pm
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:
I think you overcook the English Embassy aspect, British Embassy dominates.

Ref my comment on french translations there are multiple opportunities to recognise the other countries within the UK, e.g the area which I live is very Rugby oriented and the french recognise the separate entities very well but still inexplicably often refer to les Anglais as a generic :scratch: ... Wartime also emphasised the British/Britannique aspect.

The Bretons refer proudly to membership of Les Celtes and celebrate a huge Celtic festival there where the Welsh, Scots Irish are well recognised as separate entities.

It is too easy just explain it away as a big % aspect.

The different identity of english/anglais as Anglo Saxon is also readily recognised.

I think you're missing the point. This is not about how other countries officially or popularly refer to the UK or any part or parts of it or it's people. It's about the UK in some countries providing "English Embassy" as the official translation into the local language.

It's just one of the ways that British nationalism aka Unionism reveals its Anglocentric nature and in this case it goes as far as to imply that all the other bits of the UK are parts of England!

Personally I'd like it if every British Embassy were an English Embassy and the name was accurate. ;)

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail