It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:27 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
How do you describe your national identity? 

How do you describe your national identity?
Welsh 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
British 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Both equally 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

How do you describe your national identity? 
Author Message
World XV Player

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 pm
Posts: 3006
Post How do you describe your national identity?
Do you prefer to say you are Welsh or British?


Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm
Posts: 7129
Location: rhondda
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Welsh by choice butbindonuse a British passport , cos I got no choice in it.

_________________
To be born Welsh is a privilege, not with a silver spoon in your mouth but a song in your heart and poetry in your soul.


Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 5005
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
I would prefer a European Welsh option, but thats up the swannee now.

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:32 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13708
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45504
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?


He stopped using his questioning style of header for a while.

Ah well ...

:yawn:


Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 5005
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?


The Spanish think they are a pain in the groin too

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 am
Posts: 15515
Location: Japan
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D

_________________
Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one, and fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around,
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.


Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:13 am
Profile
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1238
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D


It's not down to Japan or other host countries.
The problem lies with the UK (contents 90% England). It has provided the official UK translation of "British Embassy" as "English Embassy" to quite a few countries.
If you ask why it's not corrected, the answer boils down to - Johnny Foreigner would get confused if we changed it.
If you point out that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to have had no problem with changes such as Ceylon to Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe or USSR to Russian Federation they don't have a coherent never mind a convincing argument.


Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13708
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
eog wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D


It's not down to Japan or other host countries.
The problem lies with the UK (contents 90% England). It has provided the official UK translation of "British Embassy" as "English Embassy" to quite a few countries.
If you ask why it's not corrected, the answer boils down to - Johnny Foreigner would get confused if we changed it.
If you point out that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to have had no problem with changes such as Ceylon to Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe or USSR to Russian Federation they don't have a coherent never mind a convincing argument.


But there is Grande Bretagne (les britanniques), Royaume Uni Les Celtes, Psys de Galles, Ecosse , L'Irlande ....

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:50 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm
Posts: 45504
Location: Llanharan
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Flawed Poll.


Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:39 am
Profile
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1238
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Tony Panties wrote:
eog wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D


It's not down to Japan or other host countries.
The problem lies with the UK (contents 90% England). It has provided the official UK translation of "British Embassy" as "English Embassy" to quite a few countries.
If you ask why it's not corrected, the answer boils down to - Johnny Foreigner would get confused if we changed it.
If you point out that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to have had no problem with changes such as Ceylon to Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe or USSR to Russian Federation they don't have a coherent never mind a convincing argument.


But there is Grande Bretagne (les britanniques), Royaume Uni Les Celtes, Psys de Galles, Ecosse , L'Irlande ....


But what is your point?


Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 13708
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
eog wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
eog wrote:
loosechange wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Often no choice in official documentation e.g visa application etc....british

Here in Fra I'm always welsh (gallois) 'cos the french have the habit of calling the british ´les anglais' which translates to 'english' :kermit:

PS why the question?

Interesting. Here in Japan the Japanese translation of British is Igirisu, or English. :D


It's not down to Japan or other host countries.
The problem lies with the UK (contents 90% England). It has provided the official UK translation of "British Embassy" as "English Embassy" to quite a few countries.
If you ask why it's not corrected, the answer boils down to - Johnny Foreigner would get confused if we changed it.
If you point out that "Johnny Foreigner" seems to have had no problem with changes such as Ceylon to Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe or USSR to Russian Federation they don't have a coherent never mind a convincing argument.


But there is Grande Bretagne (les britanniques), Royaume Uni Les Celtes, Psys de Galles, Ecosse , L'Irlande ....


But what is your point?


I think you overcook the English Embassy aspect, British Embassy dominates.

Ref my comment on french translations there are multiple opportunities to recognise the other countries within the UK, e.g the area which I live is very Rugby oriented and the french recognise the separate entities very well but still inexplicably often refer to les Anglais as a generic :scratch: ... Wartime also emphasised the British/Britannique aspect.

The Bretons refer proudly to membership of Les Celtes and celebrate a huge Celtic festival there where the Welsh, Scots Irish are well recognised as separate entities.

It is too easy just explain it away as a big % aspect.

The different identity of english/anglais as Anglo Saxon is also readily recognised.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:27 pm
Profile
International Player

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1238
Post Re: How do you describe your national identity?
Tony Panties wrote:
I think you overcook the English Embassy aspect, British Embassy dominates.

Ref my comment on french translations there are multiple opportunities to recognise the other countries within the UK, e.g the area which I live is very Rugby oriented and the french recognise the separate entities very well but still inexplicably often refer to les Anglais as a generic :scratch: ... Wartime also emphasised the British/Britannique aspect.

The Bretons refer proudly to membership of Les Celtes and celebrate a huge Celtic festival there where the Welsh, Scots Irish are well recognised as separate entities.

It is too easy just explain it away as a big % aspect.

The different identity of english/anglais as Anglo Saxon is also readily recognised.

I think you're missing the point. This is not about how other countries officially or popularly refer to the UK or any part or parts of it or it's people. It's about the UK in some countries providing "English Embassy" as the official translation into the local language.

It's just one of the ways that British nationalism aka Unionism reveals its Anglocentric nature and in this case it goes as far as to imply that all the other bits of the UK are parts of England!

Personally I'd like it if every British Embassy were an English Embassy and the name was accurate. ;)


Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile E-mail
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: