It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:46 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Books! 
thread ruining clique

Post Re: Books!
American Tabloid by James Ellroy is the best book of all time, IMO.
And I can heartily recommend a little known North Walian author called SJ Smith.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:30 pm
World XV Player

I go for Biographies like Orwell, Camus and their novels/short stories.

I love the Emile Zola books in English e.g l'Assomoir, Germinal, La Bete Humaine, The Earth are really meaty reading ....

The Rougon-Macquart series follow a family tree will all sorts of consequences!
All available and popular in English, I would particularly recommend the 4 above

All available on Amazon etc ...

I have a first edition, signed 'What's Left of the Labour Party' by Woodrow Wyatt ... that could ruffle a few feathers to some on here or maybe not ;) ;)

I must admit that I read less and less novels and I concentrate more on current affairs and the history and futures thereof now ...

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 pm
thread ruining clique

Tony Panties wrote:

I love the Emile Zola books in English e.g l'Assomoir, Germinal, La Bete Humaine, The Earth are really meaty reading ....

Loved The Masterpiece. It completely ruined Zola's friendship with Cezanne, by all accounts.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:16 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
American Tabloid by James Ellroy is the best book of all time, IMO.
And I can heartily recommend a little known North Walian author called SJ Smith.

Wrong post .. corrected

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Loved The Masterpiece. It completely ruined Zola's friendship with Cezanne, by all accounts.

Spin, I confess not to have come across that one.

I just looked it up and it's the 14th in the Rougon M series. Zola was a prolific author, hundreds of books, here's the list
example :

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/4750._mile_Zola

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:34 pm
thread ruining clique

Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Spin, I confess not to have come across that one.

I just looked it up and it's the 14th in the Rougon M series. Zola was a prolific author, hundreds of books, here's the list
example :

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/4750._mile_Zola

It's the only one of his I read, and I came across it through my love of modern art. It's a real time portal into the post impressionist world.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:47 pm
World XV Player

I remember askin' this bloke in the kiosk at Cardiff Bus Station if he had any Moor *dinky doo* books ..he looked at me most offended and swore at me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

I was reading his stuff when all the other hippies were reading Tolkien.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Is she the one who used to run barefoot?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

tripped up some yanky!

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:56 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

soap wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Aye, that's her. French social critic who got British citizenship and tripped up Mary Decker.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:57 pm
World XV Player

When living in Kent in the late 70s I used to commute from Meopam station to Blackfriars.

Seems a commuter tradition but most people get to own a flagstone on the platform.

I became acquainted with the bloke on the next flagstone.
We became friendly. Later I was reading The Hobbit again and when asked by this chap I gave him a synopsis of it.
He continued for some days to ask how Bilbow was doing in an almost ridiculing manner. Like it was a fairy story.

Xmas arrived and I took the family to Wales for a fortnight …

On return, I missed my flagstone mate to London because I took a later train. On return he was there for the return journey;

“Finished with Bilbo over Xmas?” he asked…

As we sat in the carriage he asked again ‘did you finish with Bilbo over Xmas?’

I remembered that on hols I had left one of the kids books in my brief case when packing and had discovered it there that morning at work.

I went to briefcase and pulled out a Children's book entitled ‘Dans Naughty Tractor’ …and started to read it and told this chap about the story and giggled at some of the tales and offered to lend it to him when I'd finished it. :D

Next morning the flagstone on the platform next to me was vacant and although I saw him some distance away … we never spoke again !! :scratch: :D

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 pm
World XV Player

The mystery of lost friendship.

It is perplexing.

I remember going to a do with two mates ... the one didn't speak to me all night, the other said ..you dont mind looking after my wife for me do you?

Admittedly these were only work mates but it was a bloody surprise.

It is best not to invest friendship in strangers is all.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

But we're all strangers at some point.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
But we're all strangers at some point.

My point was being a stranger after the meeting .. that's what I never got ... I worked with those folks but inside work friendship counted for nothing outside it seems.

I am totally happy with reality just don't understand it.

I am like an archaeologist trying to understand human beings from their fossilised insults.

I really don't have a clue

:-)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I get it, very comfortable with people in a work environment and as soon as it goes extra curricular everyone gets on a career protecting/limiting mind-set and become introverted.

Not me, same in or out of work.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next