It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Books! 
World XV Player

Post Re: Books!
Berlin Warrior wrote:
But we're all strangers at some point.

I am quite strange most of the time.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Today is National book day folks as well as St Davids day!

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm
World XV Player

soap wrote:
I am quite strange most of the time.

....we know......

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:52 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
I get it, very comfortable with people in a work environment and as soon as it goes extra curricular everyone gets on a career protecting/limiting mind-set and become introverted.

Not me, same in or out of work.

Wysiwyg is rare ;)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:48 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
I get it, very comfortable with people in a work environment and as soon as it goes extra curricular everyone gets on a career protecting/limiting mind-set and become introverted.

Wysiwyg is rare ;)

I won't Tel William :-)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:

Wysiwyg is rare ;)

I won't Tel William :-)

Groan. :blackeye:

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:29 pm
World XV Player

'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' by Robert Tressell is a book I am quite fond of. One can get quite upset reading it because of the shear iniquity and simple inhumanity of man to man because they can. Nothing has really changed since its first release, we are still, most of us, just one pay cheque away from the bailifs ... it exposes a world where Britain is outside of Europe.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

One of my favourites is 'The Life and extraordinary adventures of Private Ivan Chonkin' by Vladimir Voinovich. A satire of one mans life in Russia in the pre war and war years. it's one of the funniest books I've ever read and illustrates with wit, imagination and absurdity how completely petty and ridiculous the entire autocratic Soviet system was.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 am
thread ruining clique

Probably blindingly obvious, but Catch 22 is well worth a read if you like that sort of thing. The notion of the Germans paying the Americans to bomb themselves, as it works out far more economical for all parties, is so ridiculous it seems almost plausible.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:02 pm
World XV Player

I used to read a lot and was one of those kids at school who was reading Tolkien at 10 and Tom Sharpe by 12, but after a string of shit books in my late teens early twenties, I gave up midway through several and eventually just didn't bother to pick up a book for years, and I didn't miss it

My nephews followed in my way and were advanced readers from a young age, and I used to read their books with them so we could talk about them, and consequently I re-found a love for reading from coming of age teenage and young adult fantasy novels!

I generally stick to Fantasy/sci fi stuff, really lets the brain do the imagining of the worlds, I've found though, that die hard fantasy and sci fi fans are a bit like music fans of certain groups, you aren't a real fan if you like the popular stuff.

Incidentally all my books (apart from a few reference books and biogs of idols) are on my phone, and I use it when in the gym most often, but Mrs CJ likes the paper stuff we've got about 800 books at any one time, but like many I guess she swaps with people and recycles to keep the collection fresh - and she will read absolutely anything.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Tom Sharpe! what an icon of literature ..super star! The only bad book he ever wrote they made in to a tv show with Del Boy! Crazy :-)

I recommend everyone reads his stuff except Porter House Blues.

Actually I recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riotous_Assembly to Berlin Warrior :kermit:

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
I used to read a lot and was one of those kids at school who was reading Tolkien at 10 and Tom Sharpe by 12, but after a string of shit books in my late teens early twenties, I gave up midway through several and eventually just didn't bother to pick up a book for years, and I didn't miss it

My nephews followed in my way and were advanced readers from a young age, and I used to read their books with them so we could talk about them, and consequently I re-found a love for reading from coming of age teenage and young adult fantasy novels!

I generally stick to Fantasy/sci fi stuff, really lets the brain do the imagining of the worlds, I've found though, that die hard fantasy and sci fi fans are a bit like music fans of certain groups, you aren't a real fan if you like the popular stuff.

Incidentally all my books (apart from a few reference books and biogs of idols) are on my phone, and I use it when in the gym most often, but Mrs CJ likes the paper stuff we've got about 800 books at any one time, but like many I guess she swaps with people and recycles to keep the collection fresh - and she will read absolutely anything.

Ben Aaronovich is a relatively recent Fantasy discovery. You may have read this series but if not here's a link. I'm at ther bookshoop as soon as the paperback is out.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/51937-peter-grant

I don't know why I wasn't into Neil Gaiman either until later on in life but I like it that I still have a few of his left to read. I love 'The Ocean at the end of the lane'. David Mitchell as well, his last two, I think they were are both of the fantasy genre. 'The Bone Clocks' and 'Slade House', both very very good indeed.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:09 pm
World XV Player

Hey! Alright Luv :wave: one of my favourite books is cloud atlas by David Mitchell, I love how it jumps forward and backwards in time between the different but linked characters, I liked bone clocks but not enough to read Slade house. Nutshell and Solar by Ian McEwan are a good read, quite humorous. The buried giant by Kazuro Ishiguro I'd also recommend.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:53 am
World XV Player

Jo_Blue wrote:
Hey! Alright Luv :wave: one of my favourite books is cloud atlas by David Mitchell, I love how it jumps forward and backwards in time between the different but linked characters, I liked bone clocks but not enough to read Slade house. Nutshell and Solar by Ian McEwan are a good read, quite humorous. The buried giant by Kazuro Ishiguro I'd also recommend.

Hello stranger, how lovely to see you here. Where's the kisses smilie when I look for it? :pirate: We have very similar tastes. I've read all of the novels you've written about above. I could not get on with Nutshell, beautiful language but a bloody daft premise. I still don't know what 'The Buried giant' was about. Give me a clue.....The thousand autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell is a good read if you haven't alerady. He's one of my favourites. Read any Matthew Kneale? Reckon you might enjoy 'English Passengers' Jo. it's in my top ten.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm
World XV Player

Thanks for the book recommendations Si, I could do with reading more so have ordered both, see what a good influence you are! The last book I read and enjoyed was a couple of weeks ago, 'The hearts invisible furies' by John Boyne.
I thought The Buried Giant was both futuristic and of an old time, a story of love, betrayal, dependency, acceptance but not forgiveness at the end. It was beautifully written, especially the husband's tenderness with his wife, even though he could vaguely remember a time when he was bitter towards her. There seemed to me parallels with getting old, the way they were edged out by their group and were no longer valued, the forgetfulness and confusion. the journey and the crossing to the Island also with 'passing' over.
And WoW you have a top ten! that is serious reading :-) I've never really thought of mine

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next