It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Books! 
World XV Player

Post Books!
Anyone read apart from what's written on here? I'm what they call a voracious reader and am always on the lookout for new authors that I haven't discovered yet so any recommendations folks? Fids started the longest running thread here with 'What are you watching?' Still going strong after what seems a millennium. I have little expectation that this will be the same.

I'm currently reading the Mick Herron series latest. London Calling. A Jackson Lamb spy thriller, who is essentially a lazy fat horrible b'stard who binge eats junk food and swears at and demeans his employees and superiors, non pc, cold war vet who doesn't give a feck and has been booted out of MI5 to run a sub team of other MI5 misfits who are equally useless. They say, the posh papers, that it's the George Smiley of our day. Snide references to a fictional Boris in the book are piss your pants laughing. Highly recommended.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Books!
Do you have an Ebook?
I currently have 2000 odd titles on mine. If you like si-fi there is a free series on a link from Isaac Arther most weeks, but I have a tablet set up so it does not matter if I need to wipe and reinstall and get hundreds of books from :pirate: you know where.

If you have not read the Clive Cussler books that is a good start. About 30 in one series and half that in another series all good.

The book you mention, is it the free one from amazon? sounds like the description of it.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
Do you have an Ebook?
I currently have 2000 odd titles on mine. If you like si-fi there is a free series on a link from Isaac Arther most weeks, but I have a tablet set up so it does not matter if I need to wipe and reinstall and get hundreds of books from :pirate: you know where.

If you have not read the Clive Cussler books that is a good start. About 30 in one series and half that in another series all good.

The book you mention, is it the free one from amazon? sounds like the description of it.

No Ebooks. I like to see the paper of them on the many shelves and bookcases and revisit them. They are a history. I've read some Clive Cussler but not for many a year.

I paid £12.99 for a hardback copy of the latest Mick Herron one with another half price that the fella behind the counter recommended. If you can get it for free go for it. It's brilliant.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:23 am
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
soap wrote:
Do you have an Ebook?

No Ebooks. I like to see the paper of them on the many shelves and bookcases and revisit them. They are a history. I've read some Clive Cussler but not for many a year.

I paid £12.99 for a hardback copy of the latest Mick Herron one with another half price that the fella behind the counter recommended. If you can get it for free go for it. It's brilliant.

The amount I read I cannot afford to buy :D
I always have my 'main' book by my bed and a very small Kobo mini in my pocket whenever I go anywhere and they synchronize so are always on the same page.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:29 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
simondavis wrote:
soap wrote:
Do you have an Ebook?

The amount I read I cannot afford to buy :D
I always have my 'main' book by my bed and a very small Kobo mini in my pocket whenever I go anywhere and they synchronize so are always on the same page.

Wush. That's the sound of the Kobo mini book made in my brain. No idea! I have friends who swear by Ebooks. Love them, but I'm a traditionalist. Sadly I think I have 7 or 8 in the bed area. Main book, second choice book, third choice that you're kind of not bothered about but hope will get better, the Lakes sheep farming one that was bought for a Xmas, strangely not compelling. That'll be the number 8.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:40 am
World XV Player

I used to read voraciously, but lost the reading mojo a while back, have tried to get back into it with authors I used to love reading but not there yet.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:40 am
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
I used to read voraciously, but lost the reading mojo a while back, have tried to get back into it with authors I used to love reading but not there yet.

What do you like? I'm a complete anorak in so many genres.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 am
International Player

I use to read Clive Cussler but didn't they become co author books later on? Usually a bad sign imo do James Patterson seems to be making an industry out of it. The last Cussler book I read was Sahara which was a little meh compared to his earlier work.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

soap wrote:
Do you have an Ebook?

Any Sci-fi recommends?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:

What do you like? I'm a complete anorak in so many genres.

I was an avid Tom Clancy reader but since his passing the new stuff under his name just doesn't cut the mustard. I like Dan Brown also, I really enjoy Stephen Hunter the Bob Lee Swagger sniper books. In and out of non-fiction a bit also with Richard Feynman, Brian Cox and Lawrence Krauss. I was well into Bryce Courtney (The Power of One) loved his story telling skill but can't seem to find any of his newer stuff locally.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:55 am
World XV Player

Ian rankin and lee childs are my do to authors at the moment , Tom sharp was a favourite of mine along with terry pratchet, along with Anne McAfferey, using a lot of spoken word now, so I got to find an author I like and a voice I can listen to

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
soap wrote:
Do you have an Ebook?

Any Sci-fi recommends?

Anything by Iain Banks. I have all of his Sci-fi. My favourite is 'Excession'. The Brian Aldiss 'Heleconia' trilogy is very good as well though suspect it may only be available on line.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 am
World XV Player

For some reason, i only really read novels on holidays abroad, which is a shame because i used to love reading as a kid and early in my adult life.

My favourite book is probably Nick Hornby, High Fidelity.

I used to love ready Alexander Cordell and his stories based at the time of the industrial revolution in Wales.

Really enjoyed Conn Iggulden books based at the time of the **offensive word removed*** Empire.

Weirdly i also read and really enjoyed the Duncton Chronicles, (William Harwood) which was based on moles, kind of Watership down type of books, Watership Down was a great book.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Right, get the anoraks out is it? Who remembers their first book?

Well, I say my first book, but the local library would not issue tickets to kids under 5, and then for children's books only.
I had a few 'on my mothers ticket' but I still recall the thrill of having my own ticket and being able to chose my own book :D

It was called 'the soap bubble millionaire, by Gunter Spang'. Thats how sad I am, it was 60 years ago.

I just googled it :clown:

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
For some reason, i only really read novels on holidays abroad, which is a shame because i used to love reading as a kid and early in my adult life.

My favourite book is probably Nick Hornby, High Fidelity.

I used to love ready Alexander Cordell and his stories based at the time of the industrial revolution in Wales.

Really enjoyed Conn Iggulden books based at the time of the **offensive word removed*** Empire.

Weirdly i also read and really enjoyed the Duncton Chronicles, (William Harwood) which was based on moles, kind of Watership down type of books, Watership Down was a great book.

I remember those very well
The trilogy : Rape of the Fair Country/Hosts of Rebecca, Song of the Earth

and others like, The Fire People and Sweet Bitter Earth ...

Parthian, Library of Wales have a fine selection on line of Welsh Authors in English ...and relatively cheap

https://www.parthianbooks.com/collectio ... y-of-wales

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:30 pm