It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:21 pm

Snow 
World XV Player

Post Snow
What is wrong with this country? We get a small flurry of snow and it's like we're being told by the media to prepare for a nuclear holocaust!! This never ceases to amaze me. Do they want us to live in a constant sate of worry and fear? Why do they have to sensationalise everything? Trains are shutting down, schools are closing, the meals on wheels can't go out, people being told to wrap up and stay warm, doh...roads impassable, stock up your groceries, be careful when you go out, don't go out unless you have to cause your *nobby* might fall off. It's ridiculous. A maximum of 10cm of snow, 4 inches in old money. Cut to a bloke on the BBC news reporting a snow shower outside Lincoln Cathedral. Police and emergency services being interviewed on the local news, reporters at the gritting depot. Will we run out of grit. They've even said the Red Arrows will be grounded. Does this mean that the countries entire air defence is grounded?
FFS. It's a bit of snow!!!!! It's pathetic.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:48 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Snow
It's because the NHS is so fwced that it couldn't cope should there, god forbid, be masses descending on A&E.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:52 pm
World XV Player

Nah. It's Brexit.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 pm
World XV Player

When I was a kid we used to have snow up to my chest every year.

Mind, I was only 2ft 6in high

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:03 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Half the problem seems to be the new BBC weather forecasts. Every time it comes on it scares the crap out of my 85 yr old mother, so much so she went out on Sunday bought 3 loaves of bread (she only uses 2 slices a day for toast) long life uht milk and loads of tinned food, "Just in case". We had better have a couple of feet all over the country to justify all this scaremongering

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

And wet windy days have been renamed to 'Storm whatever' now. We can not just have bad weather anymore. (or whether either)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

TV News costs a lot of money if done properly. Background research and investigation has been ditched to a great extent and TV now relies on input that's cheap or free:-
Rent a gob politicians who can be relied upon to say something contrary or controversial.
Press releases from Public Relations people.
Vox pops from the great uninformed British public.
And now more and more the weather which provides an easy way to fill 5-7 minutes of half hour news prog.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:18 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
TV News costs a lot of money if done properly. Background research and investigation has been ditched to a great extent and TV now relies on input that's cheap or free:-
Rent a gob politicians who can be relied upon to say something contrary or controversial.
Press releases from Public Relations people.
Vox pops from the great uninformed British public.
And now more and more the weather which provides an easy way to fill 5-7 minutes of half hour news prog.

Much of it is bone by ,bots, programs that look what people are looking at and talking about and give them score.

Once the score reaches a target it becomes an item and is sometimes written automatically too.

What winds me up is News24. News my arse, its a woman reading out peoples email opinions.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:40 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Mercifully my boss, who is also my my nephew, said it is too cold to work till next week, so a trip to Morrison's to stock up and I will NOT be venturing out till next Monday. So bring it on and do your worst
BTW Morrison's had run out of spuds and apples WTF???

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We just had a thousand snowflakes in our garden.

The birdees loved it and there's more to come.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:26 pm
World XV Player

Who else had a washing line up in the classroom in junior school to dry your stuff after snowballing all the way to school? Hang on that sounded better in my head :D

I was up Llanwrtydd Wells this morning one customer said laughing quick boy get out before we turn into Brigadoon, we've not seen a gritter since 1996

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:04 pm
World XV Player

I looked out the window and it looked as if someone had blown a dandelion clock. That was it :bootyshake:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:17 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have approximately two inches of settled snow in my garden. No drama, the bird feeders are all full. I went to Morrisons earlier, 11am, and am struggling to remember the car park being so quiet. People smiling at each other in the store, the blitz spirit. How brave we all are. Honestly. The media are complete tits.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:38 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
I have approximately two inches of settled snow in my garden. No drama, the bird feeders are all full. I went to Morrisons earlier, 11am, and am struggling to remember the car park being so quiet. People smiling at each other in the store, the blitz spirit. How brave we all are. Honestly. The media are complete tits.

and so are the railways and other transport organisations that are disrupted to significant levels.

It's not just the media it is the incapability of the Country to successfully manage anything than the complete norm. .....Sorry they can't run that either. :D

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 pm
World XV Player

But let's real the rarity of significant snow means no infrastructure is put in place to cope with it , the lack of practice time also means we as a nation can't drive in the stuff or operate trains and planes .

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:03 am
Profile E-mail