It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 6:22 am

Elon Msk 
International Player

Post Re: Elon Msk
CymraegJanner wrote:
eog wrote:
It's about self promotion and self indulgence.

The solar system isn't going away any time soon. It will be there for exploring in fifty; a hundred; five hundred years time.
A planet that sustains a decent quality of existence for people is something we haven't got now and is something that's only getting worse. We need the investment and innovation for unglamorous and more difficult projects down here.

Rich men have expensive toys, it's the prerogative of wealth.
The admiration and adulation they get from some is no more justified than if it were given to a four year old driving a battery powered miniature Bentley.

You mean like driving forward the electric car industry?

If he were genuinely committed to addressing climate change he'd be driving forward electric public transport industries. However he's stated that he thinks public transport is a crap way to get around. Presumably he's working towards a future where billions of people zip about in pods running in vacuum tubes across Africa Asia etc.

Also there's his crap about setting up a colony on Mars in order to secure the future of the human species. If we can't secure the survival of the species on a blydi planet we've evolved to inhabit then, when you get down to it he must have a significant f@kwit component to his character to imagine we could do it in a few people in ecodomes on a planet with f@k all oxygen.

Look at me and my amazing ideas. Yes and they impress lots of people but they don't really solve the big problems we face. Lots of people are even impressed with the crap ideas as well especially if they produce something that goes whizz bang whoosh.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

CymraegJanner wrote:
eog wrote:

The solar system isn't going away any time soon. It will be there for exploring in fifty; a hundred; five hundred years time.
A planet that sustains a decent quality of existence for people is something we haven't got now and is something that's only getting worse. We need the investment and innovation for unglamorous and more difficult projects down here.

The admiration and adulation they get from some is no more justified than if it were given to a four year old driving a battery powered miniature Bentley.

If he were genuinely committed to addressing climate change he'd be driving forward electric public transport industries. However he's stated that he thinks public transport is a crap way to get around. Presumably he's working towards a future where billions of people zip about in pods running in vacuum tubes across Africa Asia etc.

Also there's his crap about setting up a colony on Mars in order to secure the future of the human species. If we can't secure the survival of the species on a blydi planet we've evolved to inhabit then, when you get down to it he must have a significant f@kwit component to his character to imagine we could do it in a few people in ecodomes on a planet with f@k all oxygen.

Look at me and my amazing ideas. Yes and they impress lots of people but they don't really solve the big problems we face. Lots of people are even impressed with the crap ideas as well especially if they produce something that goes whizz bang whoosh.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
eog wrote:

The best way to conserve this planet is the same way as you conserve your garden. If you want something, either dig it up and plant, or go somewhere else and get it. Mars has plenty of oxygen btw, its in H20, or ice which is there in plenty. There is also trillions of ton of Aluminium in the regolith and as much silicone as anyone could ever need. The thin air also means that solar pannels get a lot more 'power' than available on earth.

That is by the by. Look at battery development driven by his products too.
No one is perfect, but some do the best for themselves, he at least seems to be somewhat of a philanthropist (even if he does make a buck out of it).

Ps his alternative to crap public transport is automated publicly owned cars. Driver-less, but see his thoughts on UBI.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:09 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

His real problem seems to be that he has a number of balls in the air at the moment any of which if they come crashing down could cause substantial damage to his finances. At the moment the sun shines out of his arse so he is able to rustle up finances but if one of those projects takes a hit it will be interesting to see if he can keep the other balls in the air when his backers start having second thoughts about his abilities to deliver. From what I read his Tesla plant is a real hell hole of an operation. Has he hit his Tesla production targets yet?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:35 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
His real problem seems to be that he has a number of balls in the air at the moment any of which if they come crashing down could cause substantial damage to his finances. At the moment the sun shines out of his arse so he is able to rustle up finances but if one of those projects takes a hit it will be interesting to see if he can keep the other balls in the air when his backers start having second thoughts about his abilities to deliver. From what I read his Tesla plant is a real hell hole of an operation. Has he hit his Tesla production targets yet?

I think that is his main fault. He is always far too optimistic with his targets and way to short with his times. So far though he has not buggerd off and left someone else holding the baby for his misjudgement. (as far as I know :D )

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

He hit some turbulence yesterday ....

Elon Musk came back to Earth, dropping $1.1 billion in net worth after his Space Exploration Technologies Corp. successfully launched a Tesla Inc. sports car on a journey around the sun. Shares of Tesla, which he also leads, plunged 8.6 percent.

and he wasn't alone, you have to feel sorry for them .....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -s-richest

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 am
International Player

soap wrote:

The best way to conserve this planet is the same way as you conserve your garden. If you want something, either dig it up and plant, or go somewhere else and get it. Mars has plenty of oxygen btw, its in H20, or ice which is there in plenty. A ready made planet for subterranean ice breathers then. There is also trillions of ton of Aluminium in the regolith and as much silicone as anyone could ever need. The thin air also means that solar pannels get a lot more 'power' than available on earth. The answer to addressing our species' unsustainable consumption of resources on this planet is to rebalance consumption here and not import resources from another planet. Importing just makes this planet less sustainable and reduces the quality of life (all life) here.

No one is perfect, but some do the best for themselves, he at least seems to be somewhat of a philanthropist (even if he does make a buck out of it). Perhaps I've been too personal singling out EM. We (at least most of us) understand that having the whims and fancies of hereditary monarchs determining our lives and futures is not a good thing. Likewise we should understand that the same goes for the mega rich. Musk may be a good un but that will be down to our luck. There are plenty of instances when we are and will be unlucky.
Ps his alternative to crap public transport is automated publicly owned cars. So fifty automated publically owned cars instead of one automated publically owned bus. That's a big help. Driver-less, but see his thoughts on UBI.

UBI - Universal Basic Income. Now that's a subject and a half.
Ultimately it's just another system that ensures that money and therefore power continues to move to the rich. That it's backed by people who are "neoliberals" (not solely though) should set off a warning light.
To be effective it needs to be matched by UMI - Universal Maximum Income.
Money and therefore power is then much more evenly distributed. We all then get a say in whether we want to spend money on eg a colony on Mars or say contributing to a better environment on Earth.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

eog wrote:

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that it will be a much easier culture shift to get people into electric cars than to get them out of cars altogether. I agree that public transport is the most obvious solution to reducing transport emissions but I'm also aware that there is always going to be a market for individual transport. Also, the technology for electric public transport (trains and trolleybuses) is well established; electric buses would obviously be useful but that's basically the same technology as cars anyway (just an industry with far less money behind it).

Quote:

Actually I think a society that was in a much less friendly environment would be much more environmentally aware, but sure, if you want to dismiss the idea as being stupid out of hand, I guess that's your right.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Mars is a waste of time .. if you can't look after your own planet what idiocy thinks you can look after another?

If he had any sense he'd fund is money in getting rid of Trump and May.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
soap wrote:

The best way to conserve this planet is the same way as you conserve your garden. If you want something, either dig it up and plant, or go somewhere else and get it. Mars has plenty of oxygen btw, its in H20, or ice which is there in plenty. A ready made planet for subterranean ice breathers then. There is also trillions of ton of Aluminium in the regolith and as much silicone as anyone could ever need. The thin air also means that solar pannels get a lot more 'power' than available on earth. The answer to addressing our species' unsustainable consumption of resources on this planet is to rebalance consumption here and not import resources from another planet. Importing just makes this planet less sustainable and reduces the quality of life (all life) here.

No one is perfect, but some do the best for themselves, he at least seems to be somewhat of a philanthropist (even if he does make a buck out of it). Perhaps I've been too personal singling out EM. We (at least most of us) understand that having the whims and fancies of hereditary monarchs determining our lives and futures is not a good thing. Likewise we should understand that the same goes for the mega rich. Musk may be a good un but that will be down to our luck. There are plenty of instances when we are and will be unlucky.
Ps his alternative to crap public transport is automated publicly owned cars. So fifty automated publically owned cars instead of one automated publically owned bus. That's a big help. Driver-less, but see his thoughts on UBI.

UBI - Universal Basic Income. Now that's a subject and a half.
Ultimately it's just another system that ensures that money and therefore power continues to move to the rich. That it's backed by people who are "neoliberals" (not solely though) should set off a warning light.
To be effective it needs to be matched by UMI - Universal Maximum Income.
Money and therefore power is then much more evenly distributed. We all then get a say in whether we want to spend money on eg a colony on Mars or say contributing to a better environment on Earth.

I think you would have been happier gathering nuts and fruit and death by 30. Far better for 'the planet' if Humans should never have been let out of the trees. The only proven way to use less resources is technology. Profit is the driver not to waste as it does not earn.

Perspective, in London 100 years ago, you would be knee deep in horse crap and swiming in horse pee

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:14 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Figaro wrote:
eog wrote:

I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that it will be a much easier culture shift to get people into electric cars than to get them out of cars altogether. I agree that public transport is the most obvious solution to reducing transport emissions but I'm also aware that there is always going to be a market for individual transport. Also, the technology for electric public transport (trains and trolleybuses) is well established; electric buses would obviously be useful but that's basically the same technology as cars anyway (just an industry with far less money behind it). Exactly. It's an easy option an easy sell which results in more resources and energy being used. Unless of course these vehicles are going to be rationed with only those on the planet that really need them having access to them. I imagine neither EM or you imagine that's the point of developing them.
Quote:

Actually I think a society that was in a much less friendly environment would be much more environmentally aware, but sure, if you want to dismiss the idea as being stupid out of hand, I guess that's your right.

I've a right to an opinion same as you. However opinions are not equally correct. Mine is based on the fact that a species with a very large population inhabiting a huge heterozygous habitat, ie the Earth, is in the long term much less likely to go extinct due to perturbations(foreseen and unforeseen) than a very small population inhabiting a very small and homozygous habitat ie Ecohomes on Mars. Basically it's about extinction rates and ultimately down to the maths. Although people might think that their idea is good it's the maths that determine if it's "stupid".

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:50 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

soap wrote:

I think you would have been happier gathering nuts and fruit and death by 30. Far better for 'the planet' if Humans should never have been let out of the trees. Well you think wrong. As well as not understanding what a 30 year average life span doesn't mean that you drop dead aged 30 and that humans never lived in the trees. ;) The only proven way to use less resources is technology. Really so if someone cycles to work or shares a bus with twenty other people instead of driving to work that in your view that isn't a proven way to use less resources. :roll: Profit is the driver not to waste as it does not earn. Plastic in the oceans is currently a hot enviro issue. it's there because for generations we've been turning oil into plastics then throwing them away. Profit was the driver for this and it will continue until penalties/laws/regulations/consumer behaviour make it sufficiently less profitable so that it stops.

Perspective, in London 100 years ago, you would be knee deep in horse crap and swiming in horse pee

No I wouldn't because there was a whole industry involved in clearing the sh1t up.
Either because there was profit to be made out of horse crap or public money was used to clear it up.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:
eog wrote:

Eog...When you said that the solar system will still be here in 100 years, 500 years and so on.....Have you ever thought that a blink in the lifetime of a human would equate to less than a nanosecond in the lifetime of the Universe. Apologies. I've been watching Professor Brian Cox. Again.

And he did provide a huge battery for storing solar power, the worlds biggest I believe, for a stupid some of money and said to the Aussies that if wasn't delivered on time and on budget then they could have it for free. I think it's fair to say that he's committed to renewables and is one of life's goodies.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:34 pm
International Player

simondavis wrote:
Eog...When you said that the solar system will still be here in 100 years, 500 years and so on.....Have you ever thought that a blink in the lifetime of a human would equate to less than a nanosecond in the lifetime of the Universe. Apologies. I've been watching Professor Brian Cox. Again.
We are absolutely irrelevant to the universe. The numbers relating to distances and time are just so mind numbingly large for me to get a grip on.
However I do think we are very relevant to the future of our species and the rest of our fellow passengers on this lump of rock.

And he did provide a huge battery for storing solar power, the worlds biggest I believe, for a stupid some of money and said to the Aussies that if wasn't delivered on time and on budget then they could have it for free. I think it's fair to say that he's committed to renewables and is one of life's goodies.

Most people are enthusiastic about technology and therefore technological solutions.

Someone who says use the bus not the car = journey per person now uses 8% of initial fuel resource = Anti freedom of choice human rights eroding Ecofascist
Someone produces a car that can go twice as far on half the fuel = journey per person now uses 25% of initial fuel resource = Hero of the people.
Someone produces a bus that can go twice as far on half the fuel and says use the bus = journey now uses 1% of initial fuel resource = Anti freedom of choice human rights eroding Ecofascist.

I'm not knocking those scientists that develop the batteries but getting the battery is not the difficult bit. The difficult bit is behavior - getting people to go on the bus.

This is an analogy of course I haven't got a thing about buses.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

eog wrote:
soap wrote:

I think you would have been happier gathering nuts and fruit and death by 30. Far better for 'the planet' if Humans should never have been let out of the trees. Well you think wrong. As well as not understanding what a 30 year average life span doesn't mean that you drop dead aged 30 and that humans never lived in the trees. ;) The only proven way to use less resources is technology. Really so if someone cycles to work or shares a bus with twenty other people instead of driving to work that in your view that isn't a proven way to use less resources. :roll: Profit is the driver not to waste as it does not earn. Plastic in the oceans is currently a hot enviro issue. it's there because for generations we've been turning oil into plastics then throwing them away. Profit was the driver for this and it will continue until penalties/laws/regulations/consumer behaviour make it sufficiently less profitable so that it stops.

No I wouldn't because there was a whole industry involved in clearing the sh1t up.
Either because there was profit to be made out of horse crap or public money was used to clear it up.

Until you get enough technological know how to post replies in the correct place I an not replying to any of your posts.
I understand you are special and unfettered and and a free spirit, but please at least give it a try.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm
Profile E-mail