It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Snow Joke 
World XV Player

Post Re: Snow Joke
soap wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
Does anyone use winger tyres in the UK?

As soon as the temp drops below 5°C you should be using winters.

Snow events seem to be becoming a regular event in UK so might be worth thinking about a set; in Canada our insurance goes down 5% if you have a full set of winters fitted for winter.

They work.

I see the sense of what you are saying, but how many tyres (and wheels) will 5% of your insurance cover? Probably not the cost of putting the tyres on the rims.

Not about saving money Soap, it's about staying safe.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:05 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
soap wrote:
Berlin Warrior wrote:
Does anyone use winger tyres in the UK?

As soon as the temp drops below 5°C you should be using winters.

Snow events seem to be becoming a regular event in UK so might be worth thinking about a set; in Canada our insurance goes down 5% if you have a full set of winters fitted for winter.

They work.

I see the sense of what you are saying, but how many tyres (and wheels) will 5% of your insurance cover? Probably not the cost of putting the tyres on the rims.

Not about saving money Soap, it's about staying safe.

I agree with you, its the 5% thing :D

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

This snow event is a rare thing , last couple of winters have hardly got below 5 degrees C , above which I understand the winter tyres wear out quickly .

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
This snow event is a rare thing , last couple of winters have hardly got below 5 degrees C , above which I understand the winter tyres wear out quickly .

They also have less grip on wet or dry roads, but in a country where you are liable to have snow after you have set out a price worth paying.
I don't think most of England and Wales would benefit though.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ref above, just looked it up and I am wrong. Those sold in UK are not low grip at above 7deg, we have a different standard now and do not have the same compound as those with real winters. ( which means they are not so good, but we do not get that bad winters)

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Snow Tyres are low temp compound tyres, effective below 5 degrees, wear out quickly above that temp, we don't have temps below 5 degrees consistently enough to warrant them, better you have good quality tyres on your vehicle.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Anyone tried 'snow socks'?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silknet-Snow-Socks-Awarded-Universal/dp/B009HP3RUE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512994612&sr=8-2&keywords=snow+socks

I wonder if its one of those things that take an hour to put on then fall off at every corner?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silknet-Snow-Socks-Awarded-Universal/dp/B009HP3RUE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512994612&sr=8-2&keywords=snow+socks

I wonder if its one of those things that take an hour to put on then fall off at every corner?

Have to be carefull with your insurance with things like that,

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
soap wrote:

Yeh, I should think if they came 'half off' and waved around they could do some damage, like Ben Hur's chariot :D

Anyone live close to the airport? what is the A48 like at 4am? is it always clear?
Have to get there tonight, just glad a taxi is picking up and not me driving.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

soap wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
soap wrote:

Yeh, I should think if they came 'half off' and waved around they could do some damage, like Ben Hur's chariot :D

Anyone live close to the airport? what is the A48 like at 4am? is it always clear?

Hope I'm not the bearer of bad news mate but, my mate picked us up, went through the lanes back to Llantrisant and took us almost 3 hours!! Seriously, you should have booked into that 'airport hotel' for the night, make sure like?

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:49 pm
World XV Player

My old man bought snow chains back in the 80's when we had a massive snow fall.

Since then, in plymouth, it has pretty much never snowed since, and those snow chains have never been touched.

I think us Janners have now come to the conclusion that if it snows in Plymouth, no point worring about anything as the apocolypse has actually arrived

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:31 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
soap wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:
soap wrote:

Hope I'm not the bearer of bad news mate but, my mate picked us up, went through the lanes back to Llantrisant and took us almost 3 hours!! Seriously, you should have booked into that 'airport hotel' for the night, make sure like?

You got me concerned, so I rang Forge, and they say everything is OK no warnings for tonight. Glad I did though, just in case like :D

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:49 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

All the slush froze solid overnight, so every road in town is like a skating rink. I've been creeping around in first gear, scared out my mind. Only had to dig myself out once though, and it was right by a council grit bin, which was very handy.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:07 pm
World XV Player

I'm of to Llanwrtydd Wells via Kington and Builth Wells tomorrow, -14 they are saying.

Can't wait.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
I'm of to Llanwrtydd Wells via Kington and Builth Wells tomorrow, -14 they are saying.

Can't wait.

That does not sound realistic. Maybe at a very high point in freezing mist, but sounds very extreme. The low temps usually cone after many days with frozen ground and wind from the Arctic, even then -14 sounds a lot (or a little or what ever)

Right, I have said that, now I am bound to freeze my nubs off tonight.
Anyway, I'm off to sunny Spain, enjoy it.; :thefinger:

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 pm
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next