It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:20 am

Aldi 
World XV Player

Post Re: Aldi
CymraegJanner wrote:
We've changed our shopping habits, we no longer go for the weekly shop. We pop into the shop on the way home from work and get what we need for the next day or two and that's it.

Is interesting to hear Tel say that the speed of Lidl checkout in France is good, I find it awful here in the UK

I have to drive passed one to get home, and would go in, but it's usually well in excess of a 25 minute queue at the checkout, which if I had £100 worth of shopping might be feasible, but when all you have is some bread, milk, basic vegetables, a pack of chicken, and some never to be used but extraordinarily good value toolkit addition, it just isn't worth it

Speed of checkout applies to more than 1 Lidl in the area, ... the technology zips the purchases through and I have difficulty keeping up! .. the queue management is excellent with pre-emptive announced new lane openings as they are required. The other suoper and hyper markets pale to insignificance in comparison.

I detest queuing and checkout and delays for one reason or another and failure of technology tp scan and 'lazy' checkout personnel.

No reasonable explanation CJ just personal circumstance and opinion!

I was thinking that Teutonic efficiency was widespread ;)

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:12 pm
World XV Player

I hate queuing too, hence why I don't got there very often.

The idea I believe is that they scan your stuff you throw it in your trolley and go to the back of the store to pack it.

Trouble is here in the UK customers don't do that, they stand there packing at the checkout which means it can't get scanned quickly enough and the operative is waiting for the purchaser to try and pack it to make space for scanned items on the small till area. (added to the fact that at least half the shoppers are trying to fit their stuff into boxes they've nabbed off the shelves that don't really fit the myriad of goods they've purchased)

This increases queue volume, and they never seem to have 'enough' operatives for the number of people in the queues. Most of the ones I've been in have 7-10 till points but very rarely more than two open, and queues block the isles.

I've found that if you do it properly they scan you through far quicker than your average tescos. I suspect they don't earn enough to tell your average Joe shopper to stop *fupping* about and pack at the back of the shop because they are holding the queue up.

That's just my experience of Lidl and Aldi in this country. Don't mind it so much if I have a trolley full of stuff, but we don't shop that way anymore, so I don't go in there very often other than to buy copious amounts of 'cooking' wine, or get multipacks of soft drinks bottles.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Never been to Lidel but the Aldi in Pengam/Fleur De Lys never seem to have enough check out staff which means I rarely go there . On the face of it the quality seems OK slightly cheaper than the equivalent in Tesco but I find you can get higher quality stuff in Tesco if you are prepared to pay for it

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:06 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

I detest queuing

Is there anyone who enjoys it?

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

I detest queuing

Is there anyone who enjoys it?

Somebody I knew at Uni used to go to the bank every Saturday morning to withdraw £20 at the counter. Said standing in that queue was the only time he ever got to think properly

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a serial killer to be honest

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:30 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

There's always Max Boyce's "...joined the crowd and ended up in Tesco's"

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm
International Player

Blindside wrote:
Theres no Aldis close to me, but i love Lidl's, they treat their employees well, you have a bit of a crack when you go in there with the workers. I was talking to the local doctor and he told me that the number of people with work-related stress working for Tescos is a scandal. Food is great and cheap at Lidl and Aldi, if you know what they do well. They deserve our support, its a shame the COOP didnt follow the same path.

I know a fella who transferred from Tesco UK to Ireland, it was a complete culture shock for him. Over in the UK they have 4 times the night staff they have here for the same sized store and very little day packers. Its not for nothing that Tesco call Ireland Treasure Island. I haven't noticed any decreases in Tesco UK produced products since the Euro started rising in value.

Aldi here has a good reputation for sourcing local Irish products.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

We got a big Aldis and a little Aldis, I have only been to the little one as I couldn't face a bigger one. We have 4 checkouts, at least one is staffed and when the queue gets long they tell folks form another line and send a carrier pigeon for the till person to come and attend. It is hopeless but then even Tesco and Asda minimally open their lines to save money on Gits.

The thing about Aldis is that they sling it through and you pack it after unless you are a knerd who wants to pack and as CJ says the staff are too scared to hurry along ... don't blame the staff for being in a shyte job though.

What I liked about Aldis before it became popular was walking in getting stuff cheap and 'man stuff' too ..gadgets and tools and things that'll be useful :-)

Lately its just become all work work work as they loose their virginity to the Tesco's of the world and become just another pain in the ass.

I find the new Co-ops are far more relaxed and sell decent jerky.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:10 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Theres no Aldis close to me, but i love Lidl's, they treat their employees well, you have a bit of a crack when you go in there with the workers. I was talking to the local doctor and he told me that the number of people with work-related stress working for Tescos is a scandal. Food is great and cheap at Lidl and Aldi, if you know what they do well. They deserve our support, its a shame the COOP didnt follow the same path.

We use Lidl, we did when we lived in Germany too. Finest frikadelle this side of the Danube.

As for out of date we've always gone the sniff test, best way of deciding if something is 'off'.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Blindside wrote:

We use Lidl, we did when we lived in Germany too. Finest frikadelle this side of the Danube.

As for out of date we've always gone the sniff test, best way of deciding if something is 'off'.

I did that on my Missus last week, told her she had passed her sell-by date! Divorce proceedings started!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 pm