It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Le Beaujolais est arrivé 
World XV Player

Post Le Beaujolais est arrivé
2017 Beaujolais Nouveau available today!

Just about to open a bottle of 'Duboeuf' a favourite of ours ...

Sadly a limit of 2 glasses a day .... I'll cheat on the size of the glass :D

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:49 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Le Beaujolais est arrivé
I'm a du-pape fan, so expensive here though, start at $40 a bottle so only indulge on special occasions.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:24 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
I'm a du-pape fan, so expensive here though, start at $40 a bottle so only indulge on special occasions.

Bloody strong !!

goes up to 14% sometimes plus, lovely rich dark wine though.

The region is good too ;)

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm
World XV Player

duplicate and I havent sipped any yet

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:30 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Any recommendations for a similar wine Tel?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Any recommendations for a similar wine Tel?

Du pape contain a hi % of black grenache grape and some Syrah ...others low %

Wines from the Southern Rhone would apply, e.g Cote du Rhone.

However, Du pape is somewhat unique hence the price as vineyards have a traditionally low yied.

They are relatively expensive here too.

Good to have some sampling ;) ...have a look at S Rhone etc ....

Let me know if you find any that you enjoy ...

Best

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Doesn't Japan go mad for this wine?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Never liked wine. Don't intent to start liking it either. Stick to the beer!

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Some french TOP 14 Presidents with wine interests are already active in preparation for the Japan W Cup and have been for a long time.

Japan and Asia are fertile markets for wine.

Racing and Bordeaux Presidents are 2 that are very active and using Rugby to promote their business interests.

THey are using H Kong as an entry with games as executive events

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:39 pm
World XV Player

Does older Beaujolais taste even better? Does even older Beau improve over the years?

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 pm
International Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Fingal wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Some french TOP 14 Presidents with wine interests are already active in preparation for the Japan W Cup and have been for a long time.

Racing and Bordeaux Presidents are 2 that are very active and using Rugby to promote their business interests.

Sales seem to be slipping

Japantimes
Quote:
The Beaujolais Nouveau 2017 vintage went on sale in Japan on Thursday, but with people’s tastes maturing, the traditional celebration of the French wine’s seasonal release is on the decline.

As imports of the wine from the Beaujolais region are expected to fall for the fifth consecutive year, the alcoholic beverage industry is studying various ways to boost demand.

“Now that the Japanese drink wine more frequently than before, the event (of celebrating the release of Beaujolais Nouveau) has become not so special,” an industry official said.

The volume of imports has almost halved since its peak in 2004 and has been on the decline since 2013, according to Mercian Corp., a unit of one of Japan’s largest beer makers, Kirin Holdings Co.

As part of efforts to promote the drinking of Beaujolais Nouveau with family and friends at home, Asahi Breweries Ltd. and Kirin have posted recommended accompanying meal recipes online.

Suntory Wine International Ltd. is intensifying promotions targeting companies, encouraging them to use the French wine at events where they want employees to build camaraderie.

Suntory Wine International is planning to enlist 11 companies, including Mitsubishi Electric Corp., in holding such events this year.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Fingal wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Sales seem to be slipping

Japantimes
Quote:
The Beaujolais Nouveau 2017 vintage went on sale in Japan on Thursday, but with people’s tastes maturing, the traditional celebration of the French wine’s seasonal release is on the decline.

As imports of the wine from the Beaujolais region are expected to fall for the fifth consecutive year, the alcoholic beverage industry is studying various ways to boost demand.

“Now that the Japanese drink wine more frequently than before, the event (of celebrating the release of Beaujolais Nouveau) has become not so special,” an industry official said.

The volume of imports has almost halved since its peak in 2004 and has been on the decline since 2013, according to Mercian Corp., a unit of one of Japan’s largest beer makers, Kirin Holdings Co.

As part of efforts to promote the drinking of Beaujolais Nouveau with family and friends at home, Asahi Breweries Ltd. and Kirin have posted recommended accompanying meal recipes online.

Suntory Wine International Ltd. is intensifying promotions targeting companies, encouraging them to use the French wine at events where they want employees to build camaraderie.

Suntory Wine International is planning to enlist 11 companies, including Mitsubishi Electric Corp., in holding such events this year.

It is true, once upon a time the nouveau beaujolais was a big fete!!... there were e .g races to bring the first nouveau to UK etc ...

It has waned and here in France there are now a lot of 'primeurs' ie early wines first released from the vineyards. In our Region e.g Gaillac.

Really it is a rough taste and it's fruitiness etc is just a one off and bit of a rip off .. I paid 6.95 euros / bottle today!.

¨Peoples tastes w/wide are beginning to become a lot more sophisticated and traditional markets are facing increased competition e.g S America and Eastern Europe.

Still a big market for the 'Grand crus' and the various classed growths, 1855 and all that, which have changed considerably and really of snobbish value and sometimes even questionable comparable quality.

The Japanese have bought into the french vineyards especially the prime level.

We buy a lot of AOC wines especially local. Wine drinking can be very snobbish and we pay 4 - 12 euros, ignore the following price band and then pay 20 euros + or ++ if the situation warrants it.

We brought a lot of Grand Cru wines with us and they were put in the cellar which had an earth floor. We had a big storm and some minor flooding in the cellar but sufficient to tip the rack and most if not all of them were broken ..... no insurance either 'cos in France one can only claim if the Mayor declares a 'sinistre' locally. He didn't. :angry4:

Can be a fascinating subject, my wife is the family expert, I'm just a pleb in that respect ;)

PS There's a popular beaujolais here called Pisse dru literally not complimentary although it is of reasonable quality. :D

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Does older Beaujolais taste even better? Does even older Beau improve over the years?

Beaujolais is not a wine to keep, Beaujolais Villages is the better quality.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 pm
World XV Player

SimplyRed wrote:

never liked alcohol in general, but very fond of the side effects like invulnerability, increased dance skills and resolving world issues.

Vodka is my preferred ability-booster.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:27 pm
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

never liked alcohol in general, but very fond of the side effects like invulnerability, increased dance skills and resolving world issues.

Vodka is my preferred ability-booster.

Excellent :thumbup: :D

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 pm