It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Abstinence 
World XV Player

Post Abstinence
Just wondering , have any of you blokes or blokesses out there, ever just stopped drinking booze , no wind down just bang sober , I stopped about 2 months ago , don't feel any better no weight loss or anything. Even went to the rugby club had to get there 11/2 before KO to pick up my season ticket and AI tickets, hung around for the game to start and discovered the first drink is the easiest to decline so still at it . Any similar experiences or different ones .

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:31 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Abstinence
I gave up smoking like that, didn't hurt me a bit ... bit scared about Beer though.

As God is my Judge, I wish I had refused that pint my Uncle offered me at 15, life would have been so different ..but he said go on Boy Drink It be a Man! so I did .. and henceforth have been addicted.

50 soddin' years for one simple mistake.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:36 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Only 48 for me , and I will probably start again when Mrs Jim gets better.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Mrs Oik is in my ear every day ..it takes just a look to ruin a weekend when waking up not knowin' what I did wrong last night. Every day starts special for me ..then I get the look and think oh shyte what I done now.

The thing is the backlash puts me back on the piss!

The cycle has to be broken and then never be fixed.

:occasion5:

(irony)

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I sometimes go a month or so without a beer and don't miss it. Once I have a beer, I always want more. Not to the exrent of getting pissed, but half a dozen.
What I find hardest is going to the bar and having a choice of WATER at £1:30 or a half a beer at the same cost. But then, I am tight.

The worst thing about not drinking, is waking up and knowing that's the best you are going to feel all day.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:13 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I had to stop drinking a while back as I simply couldn't afford it. Lost a huge amount of weight - dropped to a size 32" in trousers, which I hadn't been since I was sixteen - although that might have been partly down to the stress of the wife leaving me.
Back on it now, and nicely fat again, although I went a week at the beginning of the year as I was on antibiotics.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm
World XV Player

Ive stopped for a month on occasions, im not good in the morning after drink and find it quite a depressant.
The trouble i have is if i enjoy having 6 pints, i think i will enjoy twice as much having 12 :dontknow: Thats not the way it works though. I binge drink and subconsciously drink to get drunk. I will usually drink well into double figures in on Saturday and then a Sunday then not drink until Saturday, rarely drink in the house, then only wine. Drink is part of going out, my motivation for going out is to socialize and mix with people if it wasnt for that i wouldnt drink. Its an expensive habit though.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I had to attend several substance misuse seminars when I was in the Army. Theory was if they taught us what the signs were we could see it in our soldiers, especially the drugs.

The best one I attended was given by 2 ex junkies and a recovered alcoholic, all 3 were kicked out of the Forces for their addictions but were now employed to give these talks.

The most interesting fact passed on was alcohol is a mood enhancer, if your happy it will keep you happy, if your pissed off, you'll get more pissed off. Its something I've stuck too since, so if I'm bit down or tired I don't touch it. It works for me. We're all different though.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:54 pm
World XV Player

I was hoping for weight loss raised energy levels , the sort of thing that the female members of my family were blaming on the booze ,nothing doing ,don't even feel better in the mornings. Still more spending money for the wife and daughters.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:28 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Ill spent youth was excessive.

Pretty heavy in general but long travel spells and work commitments inhibited it getting too much.

Had voluntary spells completely off it, was surprisingly easy.

Mostly beer and whisky.

Moved to France to live 25 years ago and wine took over, more enjoyable and less of it.

Heart probs now limits significantly .. most 2 glasses wine a day and some spells without,
I have had the unfortunate experience to directly witness 3 instances of alcoholism with people I knew well.

It's horrific and very sad, very depressing to witness.

Wish I'd had been more temperate in the past.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:31 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

Pretty heavy in general but long travel spells and work commitments inhibited it getting too much.

Mostly beer and whisky.

Moved to France to live 25 years ago and wine took over, more enjoyable and less of it.

Heart probs now limits significantly .. most 2 glasses wine a day and some spells without,
I have had the unfortunate experience to directly witness 3 instances of alcoholism with people I knew well.

Do they specify what size glass you can have :drunken:

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:kermit:

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
I was hoping for weight loss raised energy levels , the sort of thing that the female members of my family were blaming on the booze ,nothing doing ,don't even feel better in the mornings. Still more spending money for the wife and daughters.

Thing is though Jim, you clearly weren't dependent on booze in any way? I'd go as far as to say, that dependence on alcohol brings about probably, the worst withdrawal symptoms/side-effects of any other drug-addiction? (My opinion?) The fact is, your body isn't screaming at you to get some stuff into your system so you aren't actually 'withdrawing' from something any worse than maybe a bad habit (matter of opinion that anyway?)

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:20 pm
World XV Player

soap wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Mostly beer and whisky.

Do they specify what size glass you can have :drunken:

Thks for opening the kimono ;)

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:46 am
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
jimcardiff wrote:

Thing is though Jim, you clearly weren't dependent on booze in any way? I'd go as far as to say, that dependence on alcohol brings about probably, the worst withdrawal symptoms/side-effects of any other drug-addiction? (My opinion?) The fact is, your body isn't screaming at you to get some stuff into your system so you aren't actually 'withdrawing' from something any worse than maybe a bad habit (matter of opinion that anyway?)

that is what I always said to myself , I'm a drunk not an alkie. the difference is I had a choice. so I said to myself .

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:02 pm
Profile E-mail