It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Are you Fit or Fat? 

How Fit and Fat Are (Aren't) you?
I run marathons, I do crossfit, I'm a vegan, people hate me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I workout daily or work a very physical job. I try to eat well all the time. I make my mates look fat. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I hit the gym a few times a week but I still like a few beers or a burger. I can still run 5km without having a heart attack. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I'm around my old playing weight but carrying a bit more around the middle. I'm your typical weekend warrior - I'll still throw a ball around. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I like a few beers and I enjoy eating. I'm a wee bit fat but not as fat as that guy over there. I try to avoid stairs. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Sweatpants are the best pants. They know me by name at the pub and at McDonalds. I reckon I'm still strong but it's getting hard to keep the gut sucked in all the time. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I love to eat and drink. I cant shop in normal stores anymore. People call me "Big [insert your name here]". I have to strategically plan how to tie my laces. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have to buy two seats on planes. Buffet restaurants hate me. Getting off the couch is hard work. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Are you Fit or Fat? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Are you Fit or Fat?
At peak fitness was 1.91m and about 90-92 Kg. Played Division One Rugby here at that size and was fit from playing A level squash and was quick for my position.

Now 1.91m and 108kg, 30+ years later. Still walk and carry my bag for 18 holes, but got a long lecture from my Mother during my recent visit to the UK, and had to tone out the narrative when I received my pint of Tomos Watkins.

I was mad enough to play a little beach rugby last year with the lads to help make up numbers here in training and it was totally embarrassing. Can catch and pass but that's it. It looks easy from the touchline but it isn't.

Just signed up for a 3 month training course at my Senior Health Club, 3 days a week at 6.30am. Let's give it one last go....may be more irritable than ever as a result ;)

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:14 pm
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
Played at about 13stone ,about 16 now everything hurts , like a lot of beers and alt of food , could not play ,I would not get up after the first contact, work is getting difficult , retirement is soon.

Just realised this needs editing, 13 st at the end of my playing days out if youth strapping 10 stoner.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:50 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Fit but fat? You're a fatty, or you're fit. You're not both.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... 5%EC%82%AC

Quote:
People who are obese run an increased risk of heart failure and stroke even if they appear healthy, without the obvious warning signs such as high blood pressure or diabetes, according to a major new study.

The findings, presented at the European Congress on Obesity in Porto, Portugal, may be the final death knell for the claim that it is possible to be obese but still metabolically healthy – or “fat but fit” – say scientists.

Several studies in the past have suggested that the idea of “metabolically healthy” obese individuals is an illusion, but they have been smaller than this one. The new study, from the University of Birmingham, involved 3.5 million people, approximately 61,000 of whom developed coronary heart disease.

The issue has been controversial. Obesity is usually measured by body mass index (BMI) – a ratio of weight against height. It is generally agreed to be imperfect because athletes and very fit people with dense muscle can have the same BMI as somebody who is obese.

The scientists examined electronic health records from 1995 to 2015 in the Health Improvement Network – a large UK general practice database. They found records for 3.5 million people who were free of coronary heart disease at the starting point of the study and divided them into groups according to their BMI and whether they had diabetes, high blood pressure [hypertension], and abnormal blood fats [hyperlipidemia], which are all classed as metabolic abnormalities. Anyone who had none of those was classed as “metabolically healthy obese”.

The study found that those obese individuals who appeared healthy in fact had a 50% higher risk of coronary heart disease than people who were of normal weight. They had a 7% increased risk of cerebrovascular disease – problems affecting the blood supply to the brain – which can cause a stroke, and double the risk of heart failure.

Dr Rishi Caleyachetty, who led the study, said it was true that weightlifters could be healthy and yet have a BMI that suggested they were obese. “I understand that argument. BMI is crude … but it is the only measure we have in the clinic to get a proxy for body fat. It is not realistic [to use anything else] in a GP setting or in the normal hospital clinic. We have to rely on BMI measurements, however crude they may be,” he said.

While BMI results for particular individuals could be misleading, the study showed that on a population level, the idea that large numbers of people can be obese and yet metabolically healthy and at no risk of heart disease was wrong.

Caleyachetty said: “The priority of health professionals should be to promote and facilitate weight loss among obese persons, regardless of the presence or absence of metabolic abnormalities.

“At the population level, so-called metabolically healthy obesity is not a harmless condition and perhaps it is better not to use this term to describe an obese person, regardless of how many metabolic complications they have.”

Last August a study from Sweden, which followed 1.3 million men over 30 years, found that those who were the fittest when they were 18 years old were 51% less likely to die prematurely than those who were the least fit. But if the men were obese, that cancelled out the advantage they had from their fitness in their youth.

Professor Peter Nordstrom, who led the study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, said at the time: “These results suggest low BMI early in life is more important than high physical fitness with regard to reducing the risk of early death.”

Professor Timothy Gill from the Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise and Eating Disorders at the University of Sydney, Australia, said that there would always be some people who remain healthy in spite of obesity, just as there are some lifetime smokers who do not get lung cancer.

“I think you can argue that there are still likely to be some people who are not going to suffer the ill-health consequences as much as other people just because of the distribution of risk,” he said.

The World Obesity Federation has this month officially recognised obesity as a disease because of the wide variety of health problems associated with it.

Susannah Brown, senior scientist at World Cancer Research Fund, said the study’s finding, “emphasise the urgent need to take the obesity epidemic seriously.

“As well as increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease, being overweight or obese can increase your risk of 11 common cancers, including prostate and liver. If everyone were a healthy weight, around 25,000 cases of cancer could be prevented in the UK each year.”

:( :crybaby:

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Can't we just declare that 'Fake News', Prysey? :D :thumbright:

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:32 pm
World XV Player

Since leaving the Army 8 years ago I go for a check up with the doc every 12 months. Something I urge everyone to do. They do all the usuals, weight, BP and a blood test.

Every year the blood test has revealed nothing of note, blood sugar, cholesterol, liver and kidney function all normal.

One issue I have had for years is my BP, as you know there are 2 readings, well, I have always had 1 normal and 1 high normal so I get a high normal reading over all.

I changed GP this year and had the check up as part of the joining process, since last year I've lost 10kgs and my BP is normal. I'll be the first to admit that 10kg is just the start and is by no means the end but its going the right way,I am over weight but everything seems to be working and indeed getting better.

Here's the thing, I had a wee meltdown last year, I and everyone else thought it was depression as I had things going on I couldn't cope with but I think it was just some anxiety as once the problem was solved I was back to myself. Solving that problem and what came next as a result put me and the Mrs in calm clear water for the first time in years and I think its that which has led to the weight loss (without trying btw) and my BP returning to normal.

So, just spare a moments thought that your physical issues could be rooted in your napper not being on straight.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Since leaving the Army 8 years ago I go for a check up with the doc every 12 months. Something I urge everyone to do. They do all the usuals, weight, BP and a blood test.

Every year the blood test has revealed nothing of note, blood sugar, cholesterol, liver and kidney function all normal.

One issue I have had for years is my BP, as you know there are 2 readings, well, I have always had 1 normal and 1 high normal so I get a high normal reading over all.

I changed GP this year and had the check up as part of the joining process, since last year I've lost 10kgs and my BP is normal. I'll be the first to admit that 10kg is just the start and is by no means the end but its going the right way,I am over weight but everything seems to be working and indeed getting better.

Here's the thing, I had a wee meltdown last year, I and everyone else thought it was depression as I had things going on I couldn't cope with but I think it was just some anxiety as once the problem was solved I was back to myself. Solving that problem and what came next as a result put me and the Mrs in calm clear water for the first time in years and I think its that which has led to the weight loss (without trying btw) and my BP returning to normal.

So, just spare a moments thought that your physical issues could be rooted in your napper not being on straight.

That's me fupped then.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Good to hear things are better! Mental space has a massive effect on the body.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm
World XV Player

I only played rugby in University, family is a soccer family.

I'm small, so I'm big here. :D Never been over 73kgs. Started a new job in April and lost about 5kgs in a few weeks because of walking and not driving.

Avoid shit food and you'll feel good most of the time.

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:15 pm
World XV Player

Very upright of you to post this, thanks Fids. Great advice and glad you're sorted :thumbright:

loosechange wrote:
Avoid shit food and you'll feel good most of the time.

That's me fupped then.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 am
World XV Player

Good job sorting out both the head and the body!

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 am
thread ruining clique

I'm 6' 2, so back in the day I was considered big enough to play lock. I'd be a dwarf there now.
I drink and smoke, so should be quite unfit, but I lead an active lifestyle. I have never exercised as I believe that sort of thing to be for homosexuals.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm
Site Admin

spinbreath wrote:
I'm 6' 2, so back in the day I was considered big enough to play lock. I'd be a dwarf there now.
I drink and smoke, so should be quite unfit, but I lead an active lifestyle. I have never exercised as I believe that sort of thing to be for homosexuals.
:D :D :D :D

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I was 5 foot 10 and kicked this winger as he ran past me, he was fast. I got the ball and ran like hell and this other bloke decked me. I was stunned. I got up, the game was way over there so I trotted up and decked him proper when no one was looking. A little later a huge maul was turning into a truck and trailer cos the ref was confused ..so I hit it hard from the side and turned it over like a gale on The Severn Bridge! .. I snook away silently looking all innocent :D

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:38 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I have a physical job with building work, I'm self employed and that keeps me fit...ish. I don't work out. I think that's a waste of time. I hate gyms, they smell of sweaty private parts and armpits and people look at each other, there are loads of posers in there as well. I Kayak, go hill walking and bike whenever I can. I also have an allotment and I like the digging. I'm 5' 11" high, 11 stone 12, a 32 waist and 56 years of age. My BMI is just about bang on. I was the worlds smallest inside centre when I played but I played anywhere in the backs. I'd love to be able to play again even now but I had a new right hip 14 years ago after a bad accident on an oil rig so can't. The surgeon laughed when I asked him if I could play again...I am a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic which is a bummer, sticking needles in 4 times a day or sometimes more but I eat well and the exercise keeps the weight off. Like Fids I get checked out regularly by the Docs cause I have to and so far fingers crossed nothing untoward. I drink too much wine, the odd gin or whisky and Guinness and smoke the occasional ciggie on my pub visits a couple of times a week or a spliff or two at home but I'm not serious about it. I need 9 hours sleep a night minimum and get up when I like. If I'm late for work I give myself another final written warning so all in all I can't complain... noticed I was the only so far to tick the second box down on the poll....You lot are sloths mun!

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 pm
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
I was 5 foot 10 and kicked this winger as he ran past me, he was fast. I got the ball and ran like hell and this other bloke decked me. I was stunned. I got up, the game was way over there so I trotted up and decked him proper when no one was looking. A little later a huge maul was turning into a truck and trailer cos the ref was confused ..so I hit it hard from the side and turned it over like a gale on The Severn Bridge! .. I snook away silently looking all innocent :D

You should have yourself checked thoroughly :D

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next