It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 am

Are you Fit or Fat? 

How Fit and Fat Are (Aren't) you?
I run marathons, I do crossfit, I'm a vegan, people hate me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I workout daily or work a very physical job. I try to eat well all the time. I make my mates look fat. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I hit the gym a few times a week but I still like a few beers or a burger. I can still run 5km without having a heart attack. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I'm around my old playing weight but carrying a bit more around the middle. I'm your typical weekend warrior - I'll still throw a ball around. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I like a few beers and I enjoy eating. I'm a wee bit fat but not as fat as that guy over there. I try to avoid stairs. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Sweatpants are the best pants. They know me by name at the pub and at McDonalds. I reckon I'm still strong but it's getting hard to keep the gut sucked in all the time. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I love to eat and drink. I cant shop in normal stores anymore. People call me "Big [insert your name here]". I have to strategically plan how to tie my laces. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have to buy two seats on planes. Buffet restaurants hate me. Getting off the couch is hard work. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Are you Fit or Fat? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Are you Fit or Fat?
Well obviously if you need a brand new knee you're probably past supplements!

It's been great for me though and it's so cheap there's no reason not to try it.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:04 am
Regional Player

I think it would be great if retiring players would pay attention to diet and supplements.

When I finished in my late 30s it was such a relief to be moving normally and without pain I thought everything would settle down.

My problems began in my mid 50s when I was doing a lot of cross-trainer work. Then a couple of years ago I had a pretty severe accident causing more twisting to my knee and ankle.

If I was a house I would be knocked down.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:
I hate gyms, they smell and are soulless industrial factories.

Soulless industrial factories.... really....? :scratch:

Yeah, cant stick em full of steroid narcissistic muppets. Its just me to be honest, cant stick em.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 pm
World XV Player

welshy34 wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Here's the thing, I had a wee meltdown last year, I and everyone else thought it was depression as I had things going on I couldn't cope with but I think it was just some anxiety as once the problem was solved I was back to myself. Solving that problem and what came next as a result put me and the Mrs in calm clear water for the first time in years and I think its that which has led to the weight loss (without trying btw) and my BP returning to normal.

So, just spare a moments thought that your physical issues could be rooted in your napper not being on straight.

I admire and respect your honesty Fids.

My missus had a similar experience with anxiety last year - she has a very stressful job and commute and anxiety has always been an issue.
Being brave enough to be honest about it is the first step to a happier life.
She has also been on a bit of a journey and spent a lot of time learning about Mindfulness and Meditation.
So much so, she is training to teach other people about.
It's a wonderful thing to hear the things I have been sharing with her for 15 years being reflected back at me :thumbright: ;)

So yes Fids I absolutely agree -

Mindfulness and meditation or as you more eloquently put it, 'setting your napper straight' , can and will, heal the body.

And if that doesn't work I always find 10 cans of Stella sorts it out.

Interesting, I have been using mindfulness for the last three years, cant go a day without it, sorted my issues out. Coming on a rugby board and being a knob has been sorted, I think :scratch:

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:56 pm
World XV Player

I been using cider and been minded to think for myself for quite a while now. It's the eeby geebies that get me though when I say I want eggs and I get toast from the Mrs'. I know I am loved but burnt bread with a spoon just don't do it for me any more. I remember when first married I ate pepper corns for the first time .. no one told us they had to be ground. Now I crunch them in fond memory. Daughter's hound, Gelert, is at my feet, growling bored ..he is my buddy :-)

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
I been using cider and been minded to think for myself for quite a while now. It's the eeby geebies that get me though when I say I want eggs and I get toast from the Mrs'. I know I am loved but burnt bread with a spoon just don't do it for me any more. I remember when first married I ate pepper corns for the first time .. no one told us they had to be ground. Now I crunch them in fond memory. Daughter's hound, Gelert, is at my feet, growling bored ..he is my buddy :-)

I find some of your post fascinating.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:46 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
TheSmurf wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

Yeah, cant stick em full of steroid narcissistic muppets. Its just me to be honest, cant stick em.

Not all gyms are like that, See my post on the previous page

Obviously if you go to a conventional weight lifting gym (there are loads around my way) then they'll usually be stacked full of the people you mention. You'll also find the odd one or two at one of the bigger main stream gyms, but they usually know *fupp* all, just ignore them and let them do their squats and bicep curls on the smith machines...

I'd say the fitness centres or cross fit type gyms are some of the friendliest environment to be in, that's what I've founds anyway.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

@ Blindside ...

Cheers buddy :-) Today is another day and me an Toby (Gelert) have been wrestling already (he had Dual Irish/Welsh nationality though from a farm in Pembroke). Yesterday was my retirement day but I cocked it up and signed on for another trip around the Sun hence the introspection and irrationality of late. It's a bit of a toughie growing up in the idealistic post war years to come near pulling up stumps and see how crap the Captains have led the game into ruin. Putin May Obama Erdogan, but Trump might well Kim us all. :D

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:
TheSmurf wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

Not all gyms are like that, See my post on the previous page

Obviously if you go to a conventional weight lifting gym (there are loads around my way) then they'll usually be stacked full of the people you mention. You'll also find the odd one or two at one of the bigger main stream gyms, but they usually know *fupp* all, just ignore them and let them do their squats and bicep curls on the smith machines...

I'd say the fitness centres or cross fit type gyms are some of the friendliest environment to be in, that's what I've founds anyway.

Being innocent here, how do local council gyms rate on the scale of things? Like mine has machines and apparatus and a weight lifting section. Folks' do their own thing and to be honest there isn't much interaction, the nearest folks get to sharing sweat is jumping into the pool afterwards. A young lad next to me in work eats supplements that cost a bomb and seems to grow taller each year whilst I change my diet for free and seem at last to have beaten Hay Fever. Suppleness and air breathing is what does it for me, to run through a field of corn like Barry John :-)

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I posted above ... use of fitbit and incentive it gives to improve performance.
Family bought one for me as a present and I loved it and it enticed me to better records !!

However, now a blip... almost literally !

I have a heart defect that has regular treatment, electric shock etc etc and I now take a very strong anti coagulant etc etc

A couple of years ago I used to put the mobile in a breast pocket but started to have 'funny turns' ... it transpired that the mobile phone in that position interfered with the natural electric pulsing of the heart and I was told not to use mobile near heart position.

Back to fitbit ... recently I've had v low diastolic heart beat levels ... I wondered whether it was the fitbit (ref previous prob with mobile phone) ... although it's measured on the wrist it measures pulse rate and other fitness factorsetc..

I've not used it for some days and the diastolic rate has improved... could be by chance etc ... but I've left it off 'till a rendezvous with the Cardiologist early Sept.

The fitbit was excellent .. especially in enticing me to increase my exercise levels ... walking distances etc ..

Anyway, I now know measure of set distance and intend to continue to try and improve them...

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 pm
World XV Player

With all due regard .. is it safe or not?

Your message isn't clear is all.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:
With all due regard .. is it safe or not?

Your message isn't clear is all.

It isn't clear ...just a suspicion for me and from me. quoting the previous mobile phone incident which was a problem.

As stated ..will wait for cardiolog input,

Don't want to set any hares running I'm sure that fitbit has been thoroughly tested, just a worry for me....that's all.

When one has that sort of problem one hopes for a tangible reason ;)

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:38 pm
World XV Player

Both my Wife and daughter are battery powered. When it first happened I beet the shit out of my Wife keeping her going one time until the two ambulances and the under cover drug squad arrived because it sounded more interesting. I saved her from drowning too once so I am always on guard no matter the locale. Long S syndrome they call it. Folks find this hard to believe but my daughters were in the local pool swimming and my eldest had 'a turn' and her Sister, Francesca, went to her aid and got electrical finger burns on her side from her Sister's hand. I know this as I was called from work to the local hospital to see them both giggling like fools as anxiety dripped away from me :-)

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
TheSmurf wrote:
Treforest Gump wrote:

In my 15+years of regular gymming I could probably count on two hands people who could have been seen as such.
The rest (myself included) seemed to just mind their own business and try reach whatever goal they'd set for themselves... Even minding their own business, people were not shy to help out if they saw someone struggling.

The gyms never smelled bad or dirty. People used towels and the gyms kept their places clean.

Guess I was just lucky.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:05 am