It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 am

Are you Fit or Fat? 

How Fit and Fat Are (Aren't) you?
I run marathons, I do crossfit, I'm a vegan, people hate me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I workout daily or work a very physical job. I try to eat well all the time. I make my mates look fat. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I hit the gym a few times a week but I still like a few beers or a burger. I can still run 5km without having a heart attack. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I'm around my old playing weight but carrying a bit more around the middle. I'm your typical weekend warrior - I'll still throw a ball around. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I like a few beers and I enjoy eating. I'm a wee bit fat but not as fat as that guy over there. I try to avoid stairs. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Sweatpants are the best pants. They know me by name at the pub and at McDonalds. I reckon I'm still strong but it's getting hard to keep the gut sucked in all the time. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I love to eat and drink. I cant shop in normal stores anymore. People call me "Big [insert your name here]". I have to strategically plan how to tie my laces. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have to buy two seats on planes. Buffet restaurants hate me. Getting off the couch is hard work. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Are you Fit or Fat? 
World XV Player

Post Are you Fit or Fat?
Come on boys, own up. Could you still play (let's take age out of the equation) your old position? Props - have you actually gotten any less fat since you stopped playing?

I'm doing http://toughmudder.co.nz/ in a few months and I've been training like mad to get back into decent shape. It's been hard work. Owning pubs ad restaurants for years hasn't been great for the waistline! But after cracking the big 40 a while back I decided to get my shit sorted out and not be a fat *Bar steward* anymore.

So far from my experience.

I still don't like distance running. I never liked it while I played, it's still boring as hell now. Wingers/fullbacks don't run distance.
I'm still pretty strong, which is nice. But my endurance is down a lot.
I'm stupidly inflexible. It's almost comical.
Exercise hurts more now, but I still recover quickly enough.

I reckon atm I'd be one of those fattish slow 12s. The type that could run a bit but usually just hits it up and shovels it on. Well either than or a surprisingly fast prop ;)

Going for a target weight of 95kg. Still got plenty of work to do!

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:56 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Are you Fit or Fat?
My fighting weight was 115kgs.
I'm 122kgs now, been like that for close on 5 years I think.
I played an old boys game about 3 years ago, held my own strength wise but fitness was horrific (understatement).
Since my back op last year, weight is the same, strength gone down the toilet.
Chose the wrong voting option, meant to choose #7, doh!

You gonna vote, mate?

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:36 am
World XV Player

When I started trying to get in shape I was probably between 6-7 but I put down 6 because I could still shop in normal stores!

Shit a playing weight of 115kg, you're a big *Bar steward*. I played at around 95kg, pretty standard for a back in those days.

The funniest (saddest?) thing these days is talking to people about playing and having them laugh when I tell them I was an outside back! Smart ****!

Just weighed in for the week and down another 3kg. I'm hitting it really hard so it' nice to see these results.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 am
World XV Player

115kgs was me gymming and training 4-5 times a week, and eating a shyte load of pretty much anything I could get my mouth to, plus shakes etc.
I was pretty hard into it. I would have gone pretty far if I wasn't mildly rubbish :D

I'd say without all of that, but still proper fit, I'd be in the 107-110kg range. I'm only 185cm so while I'd like to say I'm big boned...........

95kgs is still bloody solid by backline standards mate. Especially below any pro level.
Great to see you going at it FMY, best of luck on top of the hard work :thumbright:

Btw
Quote:
I have to strategically plan how to tie my laces.

really struck home :thefinger:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 am
World XV Player

What if we're both fit AND fat.... :D

(Best of both worlds)

Comfortably run 10 miles (9 minute miles) and can deadlift a decent amount (pb is 162) and still enjoy a double cheese burger or two......or six! Enjoy the gym/running/training but my downfall was and always has been food :D

Flexibility is horrendous though.... like really bad

I'm probably both fitter and stronger now than when I played last, but doubt I could take the bumps anymore. Usually takes me a while to get out of bed in the morning

Last time I weighed was a couple of weeks ago and was 16 stone on the money.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:27 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:
Usually takes me a while to get out of bed in the morning

Glucosamine is amazing and cheap. Quick and reasonably long lasting results. Once you've been on it 6 months you can even take a year off before you notice going back to being old and sore!

If I could only take one supplement now it'd be that.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 am
World XV Player

Played at about 13stone ,about 16 now everything hurts , like a lot of beers and alt of food , could not play ,I would not get up after the first contact, work is getting difficult , retirement is soon.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Four More Years wrote:
Prys#1 wrote:
Usually takes me a while to get out of bed in the morning

Glucosamine is amazing and cheap. Quick and reasonably long lasting results. Once you've been on it 6 months you can even take a year off before you notice going back to being old and sore!

If I could only take one supplement now it'd be that.

Cheers mate will look into it :thumbright:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Claiming the 5th :thefinger:

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 am
World XV Player

75 years old, 90 kg, 6' 1 trying not to cheat the fitbit regularly ~~~10k paces / day

Just changed the car after 3yrs (lease) and only 10k km on the clock.

No category for me to vote.... 'accelerating into the future' :D

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 am
World XV Player

I don't fit any of the votes!!!!!
could probably still ref but no more than that!
can get on the bike and do a short walk but no way I could play again or would want to with my back!!!

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Claiming the 5th :thefinger:

The 5th eh?
So
Quote:
I like a few beers and I enjoy eating. I'm a wee bit fat but not as fat as that guy over there. I try to avoid stairs.

:D

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:00 am
World XV Player

I recently started cycling, doing about 80 miles a week at the minute with an average 12 MPH over 3 rides, going to start running agani this week or next, got a wee niggle at the minute in my knee, as weight, hey it just a number :D

If you want to know how bad the roads are where you live get on bike :D

Can we have a travel ban on Americans until the government can work out what the hell is happening

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 pm
World XV Player

Fit but fat? You're a fatty, or you're fit. You're not both.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... 5%EC%82%AC

Quote:
People who are obese run an increased risk of heart failure and stroke even if they appear healthy, without the obvious warning signs such as high blood pressure or diabetes, according to a major new study.

The findings, presented at the European Congress on Obesity in Porto, Portugal, may be the final death knell for the claim that it is possible to be obese but still metabolically healthy – or “fat but fit” – say scientists.

Several studies in the past have suggested that the idea of “metabolically healthy” obese individuals is an illusion, but they have been smaller than this one. The new study, from the University of Birmingham, involved 3.5 million people, approximately 61,000 of whom developed coronary heart disease.

The issue has been controversial. Obesity is usually measured by body mass index (BMI) – a ratio of weight against height. It is generally agreed to be imperfect because athletes and very fit people with dense muscle can have the same BMI as somebody who is obese.

The scientists examined electronic health records from 1995 to 2015 in the Health Improvement Network – a large UK general practice database. They found records for 3.5 million people who were free of coronary heart disease at the starting point of the study and divided them into groups according to their BMI and whether they had diabetes, high blood pressure [hypertension], and abnormal blood fats [hyperlipidemia], which are all classed as metabolic abnormalities. Anyone who had none of those was classed as “metabolically healthy obese”.

The study found that those obese individuals who appeared healthy in fact had a 50% higher risk of coronary heart disease than people who were of normal weight. They had a 7% increased risk of cerebrovascular disease – problems affecting the blood supply to the brain – which can cause a stroke, and double the risk of heart failure.

Dr Rishi Caleyachetty, who led the study, said it was true that weightlifters could be healthy and yet have a BMI that suggested they were obese. “I understand that argument. BMI is crude … but it is the only measure we have in the clinic to get a proxy for body fat. It is not realistic [to use anything else] in a GP setting or in the normal hospital clinic. We have to rely on BMI measurements, however crude they may be,” he said.

While BMI results for particular individuals could be misleading, the study showed that on a population level, the idea that large numbers of people can be obese and yet metabolically healthy and at no risk of heart disease was wrong.

Caleyachetty said: “The priority of health professionals should be to promote and facilitate weight loss among obese persons, regardless of the presence or absence of metabolic abnormalities.

“At the population level, so-called metabolically healthy obesity is not a harmless condition and perhaps it is better not to use this term to describe an obese person, regardless of how many metabolic complications they have.”

Last August a study from Sweden, which followed 1.3 million men over 30 years, found that those who were the fittest when they were 18 years old were 51% less likely to die prematurely than those who were the least fit. But if the men were obese, that cancelled out the advantage they had from their fitness in their youth.

Professor Peter Nordstrom, who led the study published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, said at the time: “These results suggest low BMI early in life is more important than high physical fitness with regard to reducing the risk of early death.”

Professor Timothy Gill from the Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise and Eating Disorders at the University of Sydney, Australia, said that there would always be some people who remain healthy in spite of obesity, just as there are some lifetime smokers who do not get lung cancer.

“I think you can argue that there are still likely to be some people who are not going to suffer the ill-health consequences as much as other people just because of the distribution of risk,” he said.

The World Obesity Federation has this month officially recognised obesity as a disease because of the wide variety of health problems associated with it.

Susannah Brown, senior scientist at World Cancer Research Fund, said the study’s finding, “emphasise the urgent need to take the obesity epidemic seriously.

“As well as increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease, being overweight or obese can increase your risk of 11 common cancers, including prostate and liver. If everyone were a healthy weight, around 25,000 cases of cancer could be prevented in the UK each year.”

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:21 pm
World XV Player

Shit at rugby good at Karate, that's what I got my University colours in. It was all so mental, it was the only thing I was good at. A position on the field never happened except in school and pissing around. I am a real arm chair warrior I guess. Thought it best to be honest :-)

um they was Welsh Unerviersities so I was international at that level lol :D

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 pm
Profile E-mail