It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Are you Fit or Fat? 

How Fit and Fat Are (Aren't) you?
I run marathons, I do crossfit, I'm a vegan, people hate me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I workout daily or work a very physical job. I try to eat well all the time. I make my mates look fat. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I hit the gym a few times a week but I still like a few beers or a burger. I can still run 5km without having a heart attack. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I'm around my old playing weight but carrying a bit more around the middle. I'm your typical weekend warrior - I'll still throw a ball around. 16%  16%  [ 2 ]
I like a few beers and I enjoy eating. I'm a wee bit fat but not as fat as that guy over there. I try to avoid stairs. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Sweatpants are the best pants. They know me by name at the pub and at McDonalds. I reckon I'm still strong but it's getting hard to keep the gut sucked in all the time. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I love to eat and drink. I cant shop in normal stores anymore. People call me "Big [insert your name here]". I have to strategically plan how to tie my laces. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have to buy two seats on planes. Buffet restaurants hate me. Getting off the couch is hard work. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Are you Fit or Fat? 
World XV Player

Post Re: Are you Fit or Fat?
I'm too fat and reasonably fit.

My fighting weight as a coulda woulda shoulda at 18 was around 100kg as a prop.

After I had to stop playing I balloned to nearly 150.

I started playing dog shit level in 2003 against doctors advice and got it under control and fluctuate between 100 and 120.

My left knee gave up the ghost 5 years ago and I stopped front row and now play scrum half. I can feel the extra right now at 118 (mostly because my suits and shit don't fit!), but a few weeks of hard work and I'll bring it back to around 110 and when the season starts I'll be between 100 and 110 depending on how hard I play after the game at the weekends.

I'm a binger, I drink and eat far, far, far too much at weekends and live like a pariah during the week - eat sod all and gym 4 times at least

Long distance running has never been my game, struggled like *fupp* to get under 2 hours for a half. I'm all about the quick recovery, HIIT is a piece of piss to me and I can keep going all day long in pyramids at training or playing squash, mind you these days the rest of the boys will probably point out that's because my high intensity isn't exactly intense!

They might have a point!

Oh yeah I'm 5' 8 so I'm pretty much obese on most medical measures!

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:25 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
My fighting weight was 115kgs.
I'm 122kgs now, been like that for close on 5 years I think.
I played an old boys game about 3 years ago, held my own strength wise but fitness was horrific (understatement).
Since my back op last year, weight is the same, strength gone down the toilet.
Chose the wrong voting option, meant to choose #7, doh!

You gonna vote, mate?

Jesus smurfy, my fighting weight was 65Kg. That means it takes two of me to make one of you. :shock:

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:39 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
TheSmurf wrote:
I played an old boys game about 3 years ago, held my own strength wise but fitness was horrific (understatement).

You gonna vote, mate?

Jesus smurfy, my fighting weight was 65Kg. That means it takes two of me to make one of you. :shock:

In mind as well. :thefinger:

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:05 am
World XV Player

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog :D

That 115kg was me basically training professionally (although I was never a pro; faaaaaar from it).
I bankrupted myself during that period on gym, food and meal replacements.

Dropped down to just under 110kg when I ate relatively normally but still full on gym and rugby training.

If I was fit but no weight training I guess I'd be around 100kg, but I doubt I'll ever see under 110kg until age starts wasting me away...

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:10 am
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog :D

I was a dog, but I'll take your advice re: checking it out and all :D

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:17 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

TheSmurf wrote:
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
I was 5 foot 10 and kicked this winger as he ran past me, he was fast. I got the ball and ran like hell and this other bloke decked me. I was stunned. I got up, the game was way over there so I trotted up and decked him proper when no one was looking. A little later a huge maul was turning into a truck and trailer cos the ref was confused ..so I hit it hard from the side and turned it over like a gale on The Severn Bridge! .. I snook away silently looking all innocent :D

You should have yourself checked thoroughly :D

There is enough material with him for a medical convention

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm
Regional Player

6' 1" and 15st 11lb. I was about 15st at the end of my playing days 24 years ago. I am 62.

Knees crocked, as is my lower back, arthritis in lots of joints. Mobility getting worse year on year.

I started annual tests at the surgery when I was 50. Sugars, cholesterol, BP, PSA, etc etc. last year my PSA was up a bit and I was sent off for biopsies. (Not nice!) Prostate cancer was found, not very aggressive. Luckily the subsequent scans showed it had not spread. Had radiotherapy last Autumn and the follow up PSA in May this year was way, way down. Hopefully I will die of something other than prostate cancer.

I try and do some gym sessions, but my basic routine now is 2 dog-walks a day totalling 7 miles. I get to 20k steps most days. I do stretches every morning partic for knees, ankles, hamstrings and lower back.

Trying to eat and drink more sensibly. My diet is pretty good in terms of fruit and veg, just I eat way too much. Booze is under control pretty much.

Look after yourselves, keep moving, you get one chance only.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Hola,
Been away for a while. I dont fit into any of the categories but here goes: I do yoga at least three times a week, some resistance training with weights and a bit of cardio. I meditate everyday for my mental health as, as Fids has alluded to mental fitness and health is just as important as exercising your heart. I have suffered from stress in the past and only over the last 12 months have realised how it has impacted on my mental health and relationships in the past.

I dont drink as much as I once did, I used to consume about 2-3 glasses of wine 5/7 nights and on weekends topped up with lager and shorts. I went on hols last week and got fed up with drinking and have no desire to drink. I dont like drinking to be honest, since doing mindfulness regularly you just stop doing things habitually. I couldnt go a couple of days without a glass of wine, now I can take it or leave it, starting to question why I consume alcohol at all.

My diet is shit, I like bacon sarnies and chocolate, especially toblerone. I dont drink much caffeine. I have considered going veggie, but like sausages and bacon. Tonight I had pie and chips due to updating a property to sell, dont usually eat this. I will say, my downfall is food, I love chinese takeaways, curry, pizza but to be honest manage to keep my weight down by doing yoga.

Right off to bed, up early as it's yoga at 6.45. To be honest folks, I am hypocrite, I teach people how to manage their well being and eat shit!!
I hate gyms, they smell and are soulless industrial factories.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 pm
International Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
Here's the thing, I had a wee meltdown last year, I and everyone else thought it was depression as I had things going on I couldn't cope with but I think it was just some anxiety as once the problem was solved I was back to myself. Solving that problem and what came next as a result put me and the Mrs in calm clear water for the first time in years and I think its that which has led to the weight loss (without trying btw) and my BP returning to normal.

So, just spare a moments thought that your physical issues could be rooted in your napper not being on straight.

I admire and respect your honesty Fids.

My missus had a similar experience with anxiety last year - she has a very stressful job and commute and anxiety has always been an issue.
Being brave enough to be honest about it is the first step to a happier life.
She has also been on a bit of a journey and spent a lot of time learning about Mindfulness and Meditation.
So much so, she is training to teach other people about.
It's a wonderful thing to hear the things I have been sharing with her for 15 years being reflected back at me :thumbright: ;)

So yes Fids I absolutely agree -

Mindfulness and meditation or as you more eloquently put it, 'setting your napper straight' , can and will, heal the body.

And if that doesn't work I always find 10 cans of Stella sorts it out.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Traditional gyms, such as the leisure centre facility's, DW, JJB etc are pants and full of know it all, know nothing muppets

I recently (around 18 months ago) started at a new type of 'gym' (new to me anyway :D ) Not sure how best to describe it or what to call it tbh, a fitness centre perhaps? But, it's run by two PT's and involves either having one2one sessions, classes with around 5-10 other 'normal' people, or what is called group PT where around 2-5 people are in the 'gym' and the PT will write up a workout session for you

There are no running machines, cross trainers, mirrors etc. They have one excercise bike (for warm up), a rower and an assault bike (killer). Then it's mostly kettle bells, dumbells and a whole lot of body weight excersises. It's great and I'd definitely recommend that type of 'gym'.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Treforest Gump wrote:
I hate gyms, they smell and are soulless industrial factories.

Soulless industrial factories.... really....? :scratch:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 am
World XV Player

loosechange wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
TheSmurf wrote:

You gonna vote, mate?

In mind as well. :thefinger:

:thefinger:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:48 pm
World XV Player

welshy34 wrote:
Fids the Blindside wrote:
Here's the thing, I had a wee meltdown last year, I and everyone else thought it was depression as I had things going on I couldn't cope with but I think it was just some anxiety as once the problem was solved I was back to myself. Solving that problem and what came next as a result put me and the Mrs in calm clear water for the first time in years and I think its that which has led to the weight loss (without trying btw) and my BP returning to normal.

So, just spare a moments thought that your physical issues could be rooted in your napper not being on straight.

I admire and respect your honesty Fids.

My missus had a similar experience with anxiety last year - she has a very stressful job and commute and anxiety has always been an issue.
Being brave enough to be honest about it is the first step to a happier life.
She has also been on a bit of a journey and spent a lot of time learning about Mindfulness and Meditation.
So much so, she is training to teach other people about.
It's a wonderful thing to hear the things I have been sharing with her for 15 years being reflected back at me :thumbright: ;)

So yes Fids I absolutely agree -

Mindfulness and meditation or as you more eloquently put it, 'setting your napper straight' , can and will, heal the body.

And if that doesn't work I always find 10 cans of Stella sorts it out.
Anyone whose interested should read Phil Steele's book ' Nerves of Steele'. It's excellent on this topic.

http://www.ashleydrake.cymru/St%20David ... Story.html

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm
World XV Player

For all you old *bar stewards* (like me) with sore joints from thrashing yourself paying rugby for years can I just reiterate the benefits of glucosamine. Just get some. They put it in food for big dogs these days because it adds years to their lives - you don't have to get your mate put down for not being able to walk.

Get some for under $10 and try it for a month - I guarantee you'll notice a big difference - you'll suddenly notice just not being sore all the time. After taking it for 6 months you can even stop for a year or so before it all starts falling apart again. It's just a great supplement for old rugby players.

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:43 am
Regional Player

Four More Years wrote:
For all you old *bar stewards* (like me) with sore joints from thrashing yourself paying rugby for years can I just reiterate the benefits of glucosamine. Just get some. They put it in food for big dogs these days because it adds years to their lives - you don't have to get your mate put down for not being able to walk.

Get some for under $10 and try it for a month - I guarantee you'll notice a big difference - you'll suddenly notice just not being sore all the time. After taking it for 6 months you can even stop for a year or so before it all starts falling apart again. It's just a great supplement for old rugby players.

My knees and sacroiliac joints show a great deal of wear and arthritis. Nearly 30 years of scrum time and some bad knee twists have clearly not helped. I have tried glucosamine, turmeric, cod liver oil, all for months at a time to no benefit. I have recently come back from 2 weeks in 30+ deg and that made no difference either. I stretch and keep mobile. I have tried leg muscle build up to take pressure off the knees. Believe me, I would be shouting out loud if one of these did the trick for me.

I am now chasing the surgeon for a replacement knee. If that improves things I will try for the other one. I am sure my buggered knees make me strain my back and hips more than necessary.

I always wondered why old folks couldn't get out of chairs. I thought they must have led inactive lives. Little did I know.

Old age - you can't beat it!

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next