It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:53 am

BBC Pay 
World XV Player

Post Re: BBC Pay
Should the BBC follow or lead ...... should the money be spent on mindless bullshit like soaps etc etc etc etc etc. Or should it lead the way in informative and educational awareness. Should it supply the junk food people crave or the "healthy", informative and thought provoking issues and challenges that create a wider understanding of the world, of people and the forces and agendas that impact on peoples life and our planet in real ways. Is it about viewing figures or content and if it is about viewing figures, does it make any difference what they are viewing? Is the service aim merely providing what people want, no matter how pathetic?

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Should the BBC follow or lead ...... should the money be spent on mindless bullshit like soaps etc etc etc etc etc. Or should it lead the way in informative and educational awareness. Should it supply the junk food people crave or the "healthy", informative and thought provoking issues and challenges that create a wider understanding of the world, of people and the forces and agendas that impact on peoples life and our planet in real ways. Is it about viewing figures or content and if it is about viewing figures, does it make any difference what they are viewing? Is the service aim merely providing what people want, no matter how pathetic?

Moot, but for me I'll follow the trend where there's a vein of objective 'affairs' (for want of a better term) reporting following a democracy line of 'open' reporting.

Licence fee is another driver if the principle of 'shareholders' is to be honoured?

Bloody big Jo Public out there and, of course, there's always the bottom line significance ;)

Media wise .. cue the Newspaper press equivavent with some common denominatirs, cue Mr Murdoch ..

Bugger it, ....I'll get even more depressed . :D

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:15 pm
thread ruining clique

They certainly don't need to be following itv. ITV excels at mindless trash, because they are in tune with the audience for that type of output. The BBC aren't; every time they try it, it comes across like Stephen Hawking trying to run a karaoke night in a backstreet pub in Wigan.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:56 am
World XV Player

Planet Earth 2 was worth the licence fee alone and thats before Blue Planet 2 later in the year.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 pm
thread ruining clique

They do still make a few good programmes. Trouble is, you can count them on one hand these days.
I've watched the six nations, bits of Wimbledon and the odd pro 12 game so far this year. I'll also watch the AIs. That will cost me £147, so probably five quid every time I turn the BBC on.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:49 pm
World XV Player

do you listen to the radio?

You can't miss Popmaster, its the law

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:57 pm
thread ruining clique

I put radio six on now and then. They play cool new stuff that wouldn't get played anywhere else.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 pm
World XV Player

I used to listen to Radio 4 in the morning on the way to work, an hour's drive. Humphries just killed it for me with his belligerence and the way 'the females' seem now to be adopting 'it' as 'house style'. "So! that is why? it is shyte".

It has simply decayed beyond even archeological resurrection.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:44 am
Profile E-mail