It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Grenfell House Fire 
World XV Player

Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
They mentioned on the news last night that a fire crew showed up at the building and put the initial fire out.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
I dont think that any lethargy or sidestepping will be tolerated on this issue.

What is the alternative to a legal and defined process?

But, aid and swift action to address rehousing and treatment of obvious direct consequential requirements could and should be addressed now and with priority and haste. .

This has to be treated with prompt, visible, measured action but within law and actions of some restraint the reason for which are increasingly evident.

The Political general aspects are, imo, underway .. e.g degradation of the current Govt standing.

The other trauma .. terrorism, sectarian issues, vigilantism all a tinderbox which, imo, underlines the need for sensible restraint and considered rhetoric ...

When the system and all it's institutions are rigged in the favour of the tiny ruling 'elite' minority then the need for sensible restraint goes out the window tbh.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:06 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
I dont think that any lethargy or sidestepping will be tolerated on this issue.

What is the alternative to a legal and defined process?

But, aid and swift action to address rehousing and treatment of obvious direct consequential requirements could and should be addressed now and with priority and haste. .

This has to be treated with prompt, visible, measured action but within law and actions of some restraint the reason for which are increasingly evident.

The Political general aspects are, imo, underway .. e.g degradation of the current Govt standing.

The other trauma .. terrorism, sectarian issues, vigilantism all a tinderbox which, imo, underlines the need for sensible restraint and considered rhetoric ...

When the system and all it's institutions are rigged in the favour of the tiny ruling 'elite' minority then the need for sensible restraint goes out the window tbh.

To what degree?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm
World XV Player

Manslaughter charges probably pending and amount of deaths likely higher, ...some families may be afraid to declare missing people of unknown immigration status ...BBC News today

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:50 pm
World XV Player

They've announced an amnesty on illegal immigrants and sub letters just to get the actual number of fatalities finalised.

Police also announced they are considering charges, which means there is evidence of some kind.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 pm
Regional Player

5 Tower blocks being evacuated in Camden.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40389148

Anyone got any idea of the cost of this if it starts to balloon as it appears to about to do? Removing and replacing the cladding on all those tower blocks and buildings, then housing the residents while work is carried out, extra fire safety precautions such as fire sprinklers and the cost of dealing with other Fire Safety issues. With Brexit around the corner the ever expanding costs of this could seriously damage the Tories fiscal responsibility image.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:

Anyone got any idea of the cost of this if it starts to balloon as it appears to about to do? Removing and replacing the cladding on all those tower blocks and buildings, then housing the residents while work is carried out, extra fire safety precautions such as fire sprinklers and the cost of dealing with other Fire Safety issues. With Brexit around the corner the ever expanding costs of this could seriously damage the Tories fiscal responsibility image.

Scrape the outside off and paint it Tory Blue ... cheapest way forward.

On a more serious note I would make it an Imperative to move people as quickly as possible no matter the cost.

We live in dangerous times.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:

Grenfell House was about 70m tall and say 15m by 15m which gives a surface area of 4,200sqm. Let's say half that area was windows giving 2,100sqm of surface area.

Cladding at £22 per sqm gives us a cladding alone cost of nearly £50k, double it for fixtures fittings and labour then add the cost of removing and disposing the existing and you're probably looking at £150k to £200k.

Lots of assumptions here, but re cladding 600 buildings could cost over a £billion

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:03 pm
Site Admin

ICEverything wrote:
Fingal wrote:

Grenfell House was about 70m tall and say 15m by 15m which gives a surface area of 4,200sqm. Let's say half that area was windows giving 2,100sqm of surface area.

Cladding at £22 per sqm gives us a cladding alone cost of nearly £50k, double it for fixtures fittings and labour then add the cost of removing and disposing the existing and you're probably looking at £150k to £200k.

Lots of assumptions here, but re cladding 600 buildings could cost over a £billion
£22 a ms for cladding is cheap so shows how little is spent on these buildings, flame retardant cladding will be around £60 to £100 a ms without fitting charges and scaffolding, but most of the buildings were designed without cladding so really stripping it away and not recladding should at least make them safe.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Fingal wrote:

£22 a ms for cladding is cheap so shows how little is spent on these buildings, flame retardant cladding will be around £60 to £100 a ms without fitting charges and scaffolding, but most of the buildings were designed without cladding so really stripping it away and not recladding should at least make them safe.
Good points Grimps, especially that last one.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 pm
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Fingal wrote:

Not very nice for the obscenely rich when they came up from their basement swimming pool and have breakfast on the patio though Grim. Something had to be done to cover up the homes of the great unwashed who were weeding their gardens and ironing their clothes. Most unsightly it may have effected the massively spiraling investment of their property portfolios.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Good advert for outsourcing to private firms all this isn't it. :D

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:30 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Blindside wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Fingal wrote:

Not very nice for the obscenely rich when they came up from their basement swimming pool and have breakfast on the patio though Grim. Something had to be done to cover up the homes of the great unwashed who were weeding their gardens and ironing their clothes. Most unsightly it may have affected the massively spiraling investment of their property portfolios.
Tough! fupp em Blindside time these despots of society see others as their equals and not as some trash they have to put up with.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

welshy34 wrote:
Good advert for outsourcing to private firms all this isn't it. :D
All the ones that require cladding removed are council flats, the council blocks of flats sold off to private developers which are not included in the findings have been recladded with the appropriate fire rated cladding ironic eh! funny how the tenant and the owner are treated differently, yet the government are demanding that landlords are registered so that the "Bad" landlords can be brought to book, I wonder if this will include councils and the private sector who charge vastly inflated rents.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Stories emerging of unprotected gas pipes running through the building. The cladding may have helped the fire spread but could it be gas that caused each room to turn into a raging inferno. Looking at images of that burning building again, it does look like something ignited in each room other than just the normal contents of an apartment.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:51 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next