It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Grenfell House Fire 
Author Message
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 88112
Post Grenfell House Fire
6 confirmed dead so far. Nightmare scenario for all involved, horrific.

I tried to see who owns the building, its Kensinton and Chelsea Tennant Management Organisation but their website is down

Lots of negative press though, just google them and look at the reviews.


Even more if you read the blog of the action group, man this has been on the cards for some time, someone should swing for this.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/statu ... 8017319937

_________________
Be a Snowflake. Winter is coming.


Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35202
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
This is absolutely heartbreaking. And the news will probably get worse in the coming hours and days.

What struck me is the apparent similarity between this fire and the one in the high rise building in Dubai some months ago. Buildings simply shouldn't fail in this way. There is something seriously wrong somewhere.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:51 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm
Posts: 5962
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
It is possible that the plastic based cladding they put all around the outside of the building defeated the idea that fires could be contained to each flat in isolation. The claddding spread the fire from the outside in and the intense temperatures involved far exceeded a single flat's hypothetical flat's heat generation. The fire came in through the bathroom window. The team who suggested plastic cladding, those who approved it and a shed load of others complicit in the lack of foresight are all culpable and liable for criminal charges.


Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35202
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
Plastic is an oil based material. They might as well be spraying these buildings with petrol.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:05 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11529
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
Quite ironic that if you build any new house in Wales it MUST be fitted with a sprinkler system, but a complete refurb on a 22 story block of flats did not require it.

Sounds a lot 10 million spent on refurbishment of a highrise with 200 homes ... but in London my brother lives in a house that is worth over 8 million itself. Kind of gives you a perspective of where the money has gone and the enthusiasm for gentrification and social cleansing. Plastic panels probably the cheapest way to make the flats look less of an eyesore from expensive properties.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 88112
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
With all the warnings and concerns raised by residents is this London's Aberfan?

Amongst all the loss and heartache this is going a political sit storm and someone is going to swing for it.

_________________
Be a Snowflake. Winter is coming.


Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:53 pm
Posts: 5962
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
I think you'll find that there are many many big buildings niceified with plastic cladding in the UK today.

Especially in Poole Dorset.


Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:25 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11304
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
I know that the media have a role to report but some of the searching for the most heart rending , sensational examples goes too far and that goes for the lot of 'em just fishing for the best press . It's ott and somewhat sick.

An enquiry shuld be straightforward given the apparent evidence, ie source and ultimate extent, but track records in that respect aren't convincing .... cue Sheffield, Child abuse, etc ...

But the real issue is the personal one of such an indescribable event and effect.

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35202
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
I agree on the reporting Tel.

I sense a mood change this morning. Grief is obviously still there and will never go away, but anger is now being expressed. Fids' description of this being London's Aberfan probably isn't too far off the mark.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11529
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
ICEverything wrote:
I agree on the reporting Tel.

I sense a mood change this morning. Grief is obviously still there and will never go away, but anger is now being expressed. Fids' description of this being London's Aberfan probably isn't too far off the mark.



Yes spot on Tel i agree.

I think this event will start to question deep-seated issues and divisions within our society.

The facade of the building was the problem, perhaps in more ways than one, no one cared what was going on within the building as long as it looked OK from outside. Its a reflection of our society.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 pm
Posts: 35202
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
Blindside wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
I agree on the reporting Tel.

I sense a mood change this morning. Grief is obviously still there and will never go away, but anger is now being expressed. Fids' description of this being London's Aberfan probably isn't too far off the mark.



Yes spot on Tel i agree.

I think this event will start to question deep-seated issues and divisions within our society.

The facade of the building was the problem, perhaps in more ways than one, no one cared what was going on within the building as long as it looked OK from outside. Its a reflection of our society.

I'm watching BBC news this morning and this is a point being made. Some tough Political questions going to be asked this afternoon. Politicians are nervous to speak their mind so close to the tragedy, but there's a shitstorm heading the Governments way.

_________________
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. Muhammad Ali


Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 am
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am
Posts: 4488
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
Its Bad, not questioning that, but what I have trouble understanding is what will burn to that extent in a modern building? (I know the plastic cladding, but that is outside)

My mother lives in one of the 'stay inside if there is a fire' buildings, and at the time she moved in I was sceptical, but after looking around, what is to burn?

ALL furniture sold now has to be fire retardant, as do carpets and floor coverings.
One source says it started with a fridge, but all plastics on appliances have to be non flame and non toxic at melt.

Magazines books and newspapers of course, but that should be well in control before the fabric of the building gets damaged, let alone alight.

Each room (not apartment, room) has to be a single cell that is fire sealed from any other and 2 hour walls and doors.
The idea being that within 2 hrs, not only will the fire brigade be there and everyone outside, but well before that the fire wil have burned all the oxygen in the room and be just about out anyway.


There has to have been a *dinky doo* up or straight criminal ignoring of the rules of construction which ended up with the saved cash in someone's pocket.

_________________
.
Live for ever or die trying


Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 am
Posts: 11529
Location: Neath Valley
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
I think it will come down to this....

OK the Tory local authority would have done it for as cheap as they possibly good and would have had very little respect for the residents who they would view as shit on their shoe and undesirable, farming the control of the accommodation out to private enterprise whose motivation will be profit for itself. However they would both have stuck to the key regulations, money would be the god, but they would not drop below the lowest legal standard, but they would be right on the edge.

The issue will be that the regulations have not been changed, as issues with the regulations were identified in a report that the government has totally ignored, this report goes back 5 years. The reason the report came about is that 6 people died in a highrise fire. The reason it was ignored is cost and the fact that only poor people live in a high rise and they are lucky to have a roof over their head anyway. So there is a shit storm coming as the guy that ignored the report despite prompting from a select committee is Mays top advisor.

_________________
"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for


Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:58 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm
Posts: 11304
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
soap wrote:
Its Bad, not questioning that, but what I have trouble understanding is what will burn to that extent in a modern building? (I know the plastic cladding, but that is outside)

My mother lives in one of the 'stay inside if there is a fire' buildings, and at the time she moved in I was sceptical, but after looking around, what is to burn?

ALL furniture sold now has to be fire retardant, as do carpets and floor coverings.
One source says it started with a fridge, but all plastics on appliances have to be non flame and non toxic at melt.

Magazines books and newspapers of course, but that should be well in control before the fabric of the building gets damaged, let alone alight.

Each room (not apartment, room) has to be a single cell that is fire sealed from any other and 2 hour walls and doors.
The idea being that within 2 hrs, not only will the fire brigade be there and everyone outside, but well before that the fire wil have burned all the oxygen in the room and be just about out anyway.


There has to have been a *dinky doo* up or straight criminal ignoring of the rules of construction which ended up with the saved cash in someone's pocket.


Smoke is a problem if not airtight and kills.

Gas another which can result in big time escalation, flash etc ..

Not a civil engineer but these seem dangerous irrespective?

_________________
ImageEasy to consider past and present, it's the future and associated plan and strategy to achieve that takes the talent ..


Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:15 pm
Profile
World XV Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:50 pm
Posts: 88112
Post Re: Grenfell House Fire
Mayhem order's a Public Enquiry

How long do they take?

_________________
Be a Snowflake. Winter is coming.


Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:17 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: