It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Is it possible to share my wifi connection ? 
Site Admin

Post Re: Is it possible to share my wifi connection ?
Blindside wrote:
I live two doors away from my daughter ..... There is a house attached to my house, then she lives in the first of the semi-detached house. I could kick a ball into her garden. Could i boost my wifi signal for her to share and still have the speed for netflix etc ???

Advice appreciated ?

What's your internet speed?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 am
Profile ICQ WWW
British & Irish Lions Player

All good advice so far. Worth stressing that boosting the Wifi signal itself won't affect your connection speed - but the more traffic being carried will.

But there's loads of ways to boost the Wifi Signal:
    Are you using the Wifi @ 2.4GHz or 5GHz? The latter gives better bandwidth/speed, but the signal doesn't carry as far
    What Wifi Channel are you using? Are there other clearer channels you could switch your router to?

Access Points have already been mentioned. It's also worth looking at directional aerials to help the signal get to your daughter's house (you can even make one out of a Pringles tube - empty of course!). You can adjust the settings on the router (well, depends on the model) so that certain devices get priority when bandwidth is tight. Other bits here:

http://uk.pcmag.com/networking-reviews- ... -fi-signal

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon, no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, before strutting around as if it won.

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Just thought of something. There is a free app for android called Wifi Analyzer.

The original intention is to stick it on your tab to see which is the less crowded channel, but using this you can walk around and see exactly where the lode of your signal is. Just standing a book with foil wrapped behind the router may give you a lobe if you can point it in exactly the right direction.

Proably will not be good, enough, but at free, it has to be best value

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 am
Profile E-mail