It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 am

Converting second row to no.8 
Mini Player

Post Converting second row to no.8
Could give me advice or tips because the club want me convert from a sessioned second row to play no.8

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:09 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Converting second row to no.8
Besides the technical nature of skills and build that I am not competent to comment upon I would first ask for why?

For your benefit or the clubs benefit?

The two are not always the same.

What do you want to do and why?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Some 'conversions' in position work well? Depends on the individual mainly and, as Oik asks, what do you want? Is it perhaps a case where your coach has seen something in you he can build on? In Canada, where rugby is very much a minority sport, most players are asked as a matter of course to become proficient in another position? It's very common for a hooker (example) to play games at 6 and 7 and the back 5 to be able to change each others positions? The only positions that are seen as sacrosanct and not interchangeable are props, scrum-halfs and fly-halfs. A good example is Jamie Cudmore, who never played 2nd row until he became a senior player? His preferred position was either side flanker (Someone correct me but I think he played at 7 for Llandovery?) and certainly, he was selected at 2nd row for Canada but often played at 8 through an entire game?

Hopefully, Blindside/Chris will see your post and give you much better advice than the average punter? :occasion5:

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:27 am
World XV Player

Its dofficult to give advice because unless people know you, they will have no idea what you play like.

I would assume its village rugby... not many players convert from second row to 8 directly, their normally a second row who can play 6 quite comfortably. If your aggresive and mobile with ball in hand and have good basic skills and knowledge for the level your in, then great. But if your most of these things, why are you not playing there anyway ??

If your hardworking a little unfit, not the greatest when you play warm up touch or do handling drills, then i think you may have a job converting.

Its a key position possibly only 9 and 10 make more decisions and you can make decisions that prevent them making decisions, so you got to know thegame :)

:dontknow:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I think an important factor would be your age?

Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

Can't say that I can remember hearing of a 2nd row going back to no 8 successfully, it's normally the other way round. I suppose it is down to where your skillset is and how it plays into the team you are playing for I suppose if you are a head down @rse up with the ball in hand you could play a Billy Vin hard yards sort of roll or if you are more athletic play a T Fal sort of roll, but it's really down to which way your team wants to play

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:43 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

One of my school team at the Under 19 level was a lock who went on to get caps for Wales. He was an out and out second row, too slow for the back row, but our coaches wanted to develop his all round skills in preparation for the senior game (no academies in those days) ;) It messed up the back row and made the team worse. :D

Number 8 is probably the hardest position to play really well, as you have to possess all the true skills of the game, including tactical appreciation, reading the opposition tendencies and often covering weaknesses in your own team's defensive patterns. The game has changed greatly since I played, but I would think you would need to work on foot speed, learn to play off the ball, which isn't easy as it sounds, and it is a position that requires a lot of discipline as to positioning.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:02 pm
World XV Player

What I find sad is, the amount of people who offer seriously good advice, and the poster(s) rarely, if ever, returns to acknowledge said advice? I genuinely hope this time, the poster will come back to at least offer thanks to the guys who took the time to do that? Sadly, in the future, Mods may see such postings as a bit of spam when in fact, they are such a useful tool.
So, wherever and whoever you are Martindouglas, do the right thing mate?

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:04 pm