It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:38 am

Cardiff airport - mew terminal 
World XV Player

Post Re: Cardiff airport - mew terminal
Thegrimriper wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Thegrimriper wrote:
Fastest growing regional airport eh! at last Roger as got a region that works :thefinger:

An increase in passenger numbers from a very low base.

Check the graph that compares Cardiff to Bristol airports and put it into perspective ;)

Compare Bistol growth y-o-y v Cardiff total etc ..

It should bloody grow .....!
Not like you to put Roger down Tel!

Just another exposé Grimp, for those down the trench who don't have much of a view ;)

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:00 pm
World XV Player

I live so close the the airport, I could walk to the terminal from my house (in fact I regularly walk the perimiter from the Highwayman Inn - its a good walk).
Yet it still pains me that it is cheaper to drive to Gatwick and park for a week compared to flying from Cardiff. Last time I did it, I got the misses and kids ready and we left at 3 am, first thing we did was drive past Cardiff Airport. It brings a wry smile.

Apparently, the runway at Cardiff is bigger than Bristol's, and more suited to big aeroplanes so I wish they could sort something out one day.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Albert Einstein

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
World XV Player

I used to take flights from Toulouse to Cardiff but it as cancelled

Had to revert to Bristol Easy Jet

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm
World XV Player

I saw Concorde take off when I was working there and I know 747's can as well, so the runway is not the issue, the cost of flights from CWL is restrictive , still use it or lose it.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:11 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

jimcardiff wrote:
I saw Concorde take off when I was working there and I know 747's can as well, so the runway is not the issue, the cost of flights from CWL is restrictive , still use it or lose it.

As I said, its the surrounding links. A road across the barage to near Bristol or a direct spur to M4 would multiply users many times over

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

MattGaff wrote:
Apparently, the runway at Cardiff is bigger than Bristol's, and more suited to big aeroplanes so I wish they could sort something out one day.

I do believe the runway at Cardiff is one of the longest in the country, and Rhoose was used for maintenance purposes

EDIT - just looked that up, and whoever told me that was high on drugs.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
International Player

I guess that some kind of (major) modifications/improvements to the M4 around Cardiff/Newport - junctions 34 t0 27 ish - to reduce holdups and accidents wouldn't come amiss either. :dontknow:

This stretch of motorway seems to feature about as often as the eastern end of the M4 and the M25 as the country's major bottlenecks. M4 and M5 around Bristol are not too clever either and this can't contribute too much to Bristol Airport's attractiveness (I personally quite like Bristol Airport but access is a real pain in the arse).

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

jimcardiff wrote:

How true this is I don't know but I was told that when we flew to Dublin in 1977 for the triple triple crown game it was the first ever commercial Jumbo to take off from Rhoose

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

I once saw Concorde take off at East Midlands International.
As Jasper Carrot once remarked, it's the only runway with a cattle grid.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:16 pm
World XV Player

Are you sure you've the right end of the stick?

http://www.walesoncraic.com/government- ... -bus-stop/

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile E-mail
British & Irish Lions Player

The runway is not an issue as British airways has a maintenance hangar there for 747's etc. As for Concorde I HEARD it take off once at Heathrow, I was broken down in a car park there and was waiting for the rac when all I could hear was a noise that was drowning out other aircraft taking off, when Concorde eventually appeared it was tiny compared to other aircraft yet about 10 times louder.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm
World XV Player

Yes Concorde was loud , I was in the larger hanger near the flying club things on the walls rattled .

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

When concorde used to fly over Wales at about 10 it would make the window shake with the sonic boom.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

They made a huge thing at one RAF St Athen flying display one year that Concorde was going to make a fly past

It did at about 15000 feet

However, my uncle Vic was based at St Athen and me and my cousin Kev would sit at the end of the runway and shit our pants as vulcans and victors took off over us

A Vulcan putting on the power 30 feet above your head is, sorry was, something to expereince

#whenwehadanairforce

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 pm
International Player

Just as unnerving was being at the end if the runway and wondering if the bloody Vulcan coming your way was actually going to get off the ground in time.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:00 am
Profile E-mail