It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 pm

Life in the Universe 
World XV Player

Post Life in the Universe
The more I think about it the more I question the optimism of folks that think that we'll some day meet and shake hands with Ambassadors from another world.

I fully expect that we'll find life akin to microbes and bacteria if we are lucky.

I can not get away however from the very unique fact that we are here in the first place as we are.

The tilt of the Earth gives us seasons, the Moon gives our planet stability in order to enjoy its tilt and seasons.

All life on Earth is subject to the routine of the Monthly Lunar Cycles ...Stonehenge was built in part to predict when not to talk to your Woman.

Our very biology is clocked by the moon, the tilt gives us the weather systems, Earth's spin enables a fascination with the stars that inexorably led us to think.

They talk of the Goldilocks Zone ... but you also need tilt, spin and a moon to even get near.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Life in the Universe
LLanrumneyOik wrote:
The more I think about it the more I question the optimism of folks that think that we'll some day meet and shake hands with Ambassadors from another world.

I fully expect that we'll find life akin to microbes and bacteria if we are lucky.

I can not get away however from the very unique fact that we are here in the first place as we are.

The tilt of the Earth gives us seasons, the Moon gives our planet stability in order to enjoy its tilt and seasons.

All life on Earth is subject to the routine of the Monthly Lunar Cycles ...Stonehenge was built in part to predict when not to talk to your Woman.

Our very biology is clocked by the moon, the tilt gives us the weather systems, Earth's spin enables a fascination with the stars that inexorably led us to think.

They talk of the Goldilocks Zone ... but you also need tilt, spin and a moon to even get near.

Have a look on youtube for a guy called Isaac Arthur
He has a slight speach impedement, but everything is captioned. He has many vids, and every one is good, but in particular he has half a doz about aliens. NOTE- This is not a foil hat site. Dont go there with the wrong idea

Anyone know if its on TV?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

he don't half speak fast .. very compelling though :D

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Five hundred years to get to the nearest star, if we can only invent a light speed engine.
Presuming life came from the cosmos in the first place, and follows the same parameters as life on earth, then competitiveness would likely kill off any species before it had chance to develop such technology. A benevolent lifeform would still be stuck in the bottom of the ocean eating shit, as there would be no requirement for evolution.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Five hundred years to get to the nearest star, if we can only invent a light speed engine.
Presuming life came from the cosmos in the first place, and follows the same parameters as life on earth, then competitiveness would likely kill off any species before it had chance to develop such technology. A benevolent lifeform would still be stuck in the bottom of the ocean eating shit, as there would be no requirement for evolution.

One of the things he explores is a "world" that can move through space. It would not matter that much then as it would be "home" to several generations of people and they would not want to "come back home". (He uses the Amish as an example of people who want to live their own life style and live apart, It would be a good way to keep your people separated)

I think that is probably the only way we will meet others, at least until some un though of technology.

Anyone know if its on TV?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

LLanrumneyOik wrote:

Those things are what we`ve evolved to deal with, without them who`s to say that evolution would not have gone off in another direction?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:55 am
World XV Player

soap wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

One of the things he explores is a "world" that can move through space. It would not matter that much then as it would be "home" to several generations of people and they would not want to "come back home". (He uses the Amish as an example of people who want to live their own life style and live apart, It would be a good way to keep your people separated)

I think that is probably the only way we will meet others, at least until some un though of technology.

If you take the time to wade through the massive amounts of stuff (some, with stunningly extraordinary claims!!) and come to the real 'gems' that make sense, it can kinda fall into place (if, you remain open-minded?)

I have a book, dated c. 1952, it's called "So you still believe we are alone" written by a 'Flt. Ltn. B.L.F Taylor' with a foreword by Arthur C. Clarke. It's only 47 pages but he makes some interesting points (he was a WWII fighter pilot apparently, who had personal experience of so-called 'Foo Fighters' and loads of interviews with others who experienced similar?)
Some of his 'claims' were.........
"That from the (approx.) 1990's-onward, the world with it's undreamed of future technology, will realise that 'cracking the light-speed barrier' will not be a factor in realising travel to other worlds, in the way that citizens of other worlds are already fully aware and put other/their interstellar propulsion in practice already?"
"From the early 1980's, Unknown (To us) Flying Objects/machines (He uses UFO later in the book) will be reported in increasingly greater quantities, entirely due to the surveillance capacity of future human technology"

"The reason so few people see and report UFOs is that they expect such objects to fly over, and come to rest, on land?
With 2/3 of the planet covered in water, I suspect the oceans will be a better place to seek-out flying and landing places of Interstellar travellers!"

"In my research since close of hostilities, I firmly believe that some UFOs and their crew/content, have already either crash-landed or purposely landed on our planet. The sheer pace of increased; knowledge/improved weaponry/conventional propulsion advances etc. suggests that the USA already, have had some kind of access to Unknown (to mankind) technology already, there is much evidence of possible extra terrestrial technological elements, in myriad fields, in use and planned by the US!"

"I believe the US though, despite that, will take some 40-50 odd years or more, from now, to be able to put much into practice! We already suspect that the USSR may have stolen American Atomic technology and they won't make that mistake twice!"

"We already know that Charley Yeager (USAF) has broken the known sound barrier, with many thinking that mach 1.5 to mach 2 will be the ultimate speed achievable! That, is simply not true. Air speed holds no serious limits and two things I believe will happen by the end of the decade in aviation, mach 3 (and faster) will be a matter of time, and not, a long time either. The more important however, in tandem with speed, is the flight ceiling! I firmly believe that a conventional, ground take-off aircraft, will attain a ceiling higher than 90,000 feet!! - maybe, before this year is out! and, that altitude, maybe much higher, will become commonplace long before the decade end is reached, all this from what we think of as a conventional airplane, and not some kind of rocket-propelled machine!"

Very much more but the thing got dunked back in the late 50's and early 60's and isn't readable anymore!! He does however, firmly believe, that we will formally be visited by "Inhabitants and visitors, from many other worlds, even other Galaxies, unknown to us! I have much information regarding outer-space visitors and visitations which I just cannot divulge and hope to continue to live!!"
Apparently, he commit suicide in 1961 in 'Extremely suspicious circumstances!' according to his family. His wife commit suicide 2 years later, and sadly, it was found after her death, she had destroyed his entire lifetimes work, on Out-Of-Earth visitors and their technologies among the many topics he researched since 1944.

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:55 am
World XV Player

If only we had some way to identify earth-type planets and explore far-distant worlds.

A network of kit of some sort would be useful, perhaps even outside our atmosphere as well as on the ground here.

Arthur C Clarke (1917-2008) and Carl Sagan (1934-1996) would have been delighted.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:52 am
thread ruining clique

I have no doubt the universe is teaming with life. Problem is the times and distances involved are so vast.
On planet Earth, three and a half billion years of evolution have so far yielded a species capable of travelling one light second. The centre of our own galaxy is thirty thousand light years away.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 am
World XV Player

Bryson has done some good work setting out the massive catastrophes that have helped and hindered evolution on our planet.

It has not been a smooth, flowing process, byti.

He even postulates the theory that without massive disasters we'd never have started our long slithering, standing, walking, thinking processes.

As I've said many times, I hope we haven't finished evolving quite yet.

Well, south of Builth anyway.

The North is pretty much perfect as it is.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am
World XV Player

Have a look at extremophiles, a type of bacteria that can withstand high and low temperatures and high and low pressures.

I went to a lecture in university in which a researcher from cambridge had looked at the bonbardment rate of meteors and alestimated that around 1 tonne of dust/meteor from Mars hits Earth every year. I.e a meteor hit Mars, throws up a bit of dust which enters space and finally reaches Earth. The pressure and temperature and time that these extremophile bacteria would have to withstand has been recreated in labs and the bacteria survive.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:28 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

This gives an introduction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

The absolutely extraordinary fact is that some forms of "life" are pretty much immortal as far as our present perception of them is able to judge.

That's a massive statement but seems to be true for some members of our biosphere, CAB.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 am
thread ruining clique

Cymru am byth wrote:
Have a look at extremophiles, a type of bacteria that can withstand high and low temperatures and high and low pressures.

I went to a lecture in university in which a researcher from cambridge had looked at the bonbardment rate of meteors and alestimated that around 1 tonne of dust/meteor from Mars hits Earth every year. I.e a meteor hit Mars, throws up a bit of dust which enters space and finally reaches Earth. The pressure and temperature and time that these extremophile bacteria would have to withstand has been recreated in labs and the bacteria survive.

Look up tardigrades. They're ugly little *fuppers*, but they can literally survive death. A space flight would be a piece of cake for them.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:38 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Look up tardigrades. They're ugly little *fuppers*, but they can literally survive death. A space flight would be a piece of cake for them.

Aye, they've been mentioned on here before.

Anyway, I'm off out now as it is above freezing.

Bye for now.

Gorn.

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:41 am