It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:17 am

On this day 
World XV Player

Post On this day
In 1937, Welsh boxer Tommy Farr, ' The Tonypandy Terror' fought Joe Louis for the world heavyweight championship at Yankee Stadium, New York.

Louis was one of the greatest heavyweights of all time and was at the height of his career, having won 8 of his previous 9 fights by a knock out and was to go on to win the following 7, the same way. However this epic fight went the full 15 rounds, after which, to the annoyance of the 50,00 crowd, Louis was awarded a controversial victory on points, even though the referee appeared to raise Farr's glove initially. Despite losing Farr gained massive respect worldwide for his performance.

He became only the second man to take Louis to the 15-round distance. Whilst the verdict outraged his fans back home, Farr admitted the better man won on the night. "My face looked like a dug-up road after he'd finished with it. I've only got to think about Joe Louis and my nose starts bleeding," he said at the time. Despite losing three more clashes against top American opposition, Farr went the distance with all of them. He retired a wealthy man in 1940, but 10 years later poor investments had cost him his fortune, forcing him to make a comeback.

Farr reclaimed the Welsh heavyweight title in 1951, finally retiring at the age of 39 after a seventh-round loss to Don Cockell in a 1953 final eliminator.

Farr lived out his life after his second retirement running a pub near Brighton. He died on 1 March 1986, just shy of his 73rd birthday, and his ashes were buried in the same plot as his parents in Trealaw Cemetery.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:34 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: On this day
Nice one mate, still a legend today in the Rhondda among older people. Hard to tell where he actually ranked among heavyweights of his day? He demolished 2 former champions (Baer, Braddock) but came up against the phenomenon that was the Brown Bomber. I think that people who saw the fight had it split 50-50 but in fairness to Tommy, he always said he was beaten fairly? Hard to believe that Louis damaged his right hand early on and wasn't able to use it, due to Tommy's head being so bloody hard, and he also said, many years later, that the Farr fight was his hardest ever!! I think the Ring magazine had it right, when they said he was 'underrated and a much cleverer boxer than most Americans gave him credit for?'

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:49 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
Nice one mate, still a legend today in the Rhondda among older people. Hard to tell where he actually ranked among heavyweights of his day? He demolished 2 former champions (Baer, Braddock) but came up against the phenomenon that was the Brown Bomber. I think that people who saw the fight had it split 50-50 but in fairness to Tommy, he always said he was beaten fairly? Hard to believe that Louis damaged his right hand early on and wasn't able to use it, due to Tommy's head being so bloody hard, and he also said, many years later, that the Farr fight was his hardest ever!! I think the Ring magazine had it right, when they said he was 'underrated and a much cleverer boxer than most Americans gave him credit for?'

Braddock beat Farr on points, Baer lost to him on points but knocked him down twice in the fight, hardly demolished?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:00 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Otto wrote:

Braddock beat Farr on points, Baer lost to him on points but knocked him down twice in the fight, hardly demolished?

He pummelled Baer to bits at Haringey prior to flying to the States. He did lose the return in the States? Yes, Braddock you are right, I was thinking of Walter Neusel who was expected to demolish Farr but ended-up on his backside!!

Bit of tough luck for you then, old chap. I really don't give a toss about your perceived sensibilities!!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:44 am
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Otto wrote:

He pummelled Baer to bits at Haringey prior to flying to the States. He did lose the return in the States? Yes, Braddock you are right, I was thinking of Walter Neusel who was expected to demolish Farr but ended-up on his backside!!

Problem with Farr was that he didn't really have a ko punch.

Otto, I responded quickly cos I used to follow boxing big time especially some of the Welsh Boxers.

I loved reading about the era of Baer/Sharkey/Louis et al et al.. and especially the story of the 'Ambling Alp' Primo Carnera ...biggest boxer of all time at that time .. was taken into control by the hoods of that time that fixed his fights, when he won the title from Sharkey Sharkey spent most of his time contacting home to see if they were still safe, it is said that Carnera was so poor Sharkey had to knock himself out. Baer beat Carnera to win the title. Baer was a clown in the ring and even tried to dance with Carnera in the fight.

I love the nicknames given to boxers and the one with the most is the truly great of all time Jimmy Wilde (they created flyweight for him).. he had the nickname Mighty Atom, Tyrolston(sp?) Terror, Ghost with a hammer and the most amusing of all 'Idian Famine '... it originated, I believe, when he entered the ring in Liverpool, no dressing gown just a pullover, pulled it off and he was so small and thin that a wag in the crowd shouted 'Christ Indian Famine' which was prevalent at the time :D .

The Boxing folklore is rich but many a tragedy too due to exploitation...

I saw the Porthbrawl :D fight inside and out side the ring Dick Richardson/Brian London bust up, also saw Howard Winstone win the world title in Ninian Park against Saldivar (he lost actually but the decision was very iffy)

Fell out of following Boxing after Cassius Clay era and multiple weights, mutiple different belts etc ...

The best fight for me was Sugar Ray Robinson Carmen Bassilio (sp?) return world title fight. Toe to toe brutal.

PS Farr was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame despite not being World Champion.

Apologies for walking down memory lane, your fault!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:27 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Otto wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Otto wrote:

Otto, I responded quickly cos I used to follow boxing big time especially some of the Welsh Boxers.

I loved reading about the era of Baer/Sharkey/Louis et al et al.. and especially the story of the 'Ambling Alp' Primo Carnera ...biggest boxer of all time at that time .. was taken into control by the hoods of that time that fixed his fights, when he won the title from Sharkey Sharkey spent most of his time contacting home to see if they were still safe, it is said that Carnera was so poor Sharkey had to knock himself out. Baer beat Carnera to win the title. Baer was a clown in the ring and even tried to dance with Carnera in the fight.

I love the nicknames given to boxers and the one with the most is the truly great of all time Jimmy Wilde (they created flyweight for him).. he had the nickname Mighty Atom, Tyrolston(sp?) Terror, Ghost with a hammer and the most amusing of all 'Idian Famine '... it originated, I believe, when he entered the ring in Liverpool, no dressing gown just a pullover, pulled it off and he was so small and thin that a wag in the crowd shouted 'Christ Indian Famine' which was prevalent at the time :D .

I saw the Porthbrawl :D fight inside and out side the ring Dick Richardson/Brian London bust up, also saw Howard Winstone win the world title in Ninian Park against Saldivar (he lost actually but the decision was very iffy)

Fell out of following Boxing after Cassius Clay era and multiple weights, mutiple different belts etc ...

The best fight for me was Sugar Ray Robinson Carmen Bassilio (sp?) return world title fight. Toe to toe brutal.

PS Farr was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame despite not being World Champion.

Funny really, I've always considered boxing my No.1 sport. Was certainly lucky to be in a boxing club that took us younger ones to see some great fights in Wales........... Brian London/Richardson, Brian Curvis-George Barnes at the Vetch, Winstone against Saldivar (daylight robbery that!) Met some top boxers (met, not fought!!) when I boxed schoolboy and amateur levels, Tommy Farr, Teddy Best, Johnny Owen, Winstone, Curvis (or 'Nan-Curvis' as he was billed!) Eddie Thomas who I trained under along with George Smith........ Shouldn't have started this!! I can go on all day too!! :D

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:36 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Otto wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Otto wrote:

Funny really, I've always considered boxing my No.1 sport. Was certainly lucky to be in a boxing club that took us younger ones to see some great fights in Wales........... Brian London/Richardson, Brian Curvis-George Barnes at the Vetch, Winstone against Saldivar (daylight robbery that!) Met some top boxers (met, not fought!!) when I boxed schoolboy and amateur levels, Tommy Farr, Teddy Best, Johnny Owen, Winstone, Curvis (or 'Nan-Curvis' as he was billed!) Eddie Thomas who I trained under along with George Smith........ Shouldn't have started this!! I can go on all day too!! :D

I remember the Curvis Bros, Cliff fought Eddie Thomas for the British title, Brian was much more successful and an impressive Welterweight title holder.

You mention Eddie Thomas and that area ... do you remember the Crown Hotel Pontypridd and Boxing Club attached?
Was run by Glen Moody (?), Frank Moody's brother .. Frank M British and Empire middleweight Champion ...?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:06 pm
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^Memory fading I think that Glen Moody's pub/boxing was the Criterion in Ponty not the Crown

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:37 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^Memory fading I think that Glen Moody's pub/boxing was the Criterion in Ponty not the Crown

I seem to recall that Glen was the Guv'nor of the Crite and (I don't recall the landlord of the Crown?) and when there was an inter-club tournament, Glen brought his lads over to a 'neutral' venue, which was usually, the Crown or the YMCA? Good mate of mine came out of Glen's 'stable' (Roy John from Abercynon?) who sadly died too young 9 years ago? Great night when Roy fought Chris Finnegan, they battered each other to bits with Roy losing narrowly on points. Roy's problem was he had a job making Middleweight but when he stepped-up to Light-Heavy, he was always the lighter of the pair! He was never the same after the Finnegan fight (nor was Finnegan, who I believe retired some time after the fight?)
Shame is, when the the (IMO) silly break-up in boxing arrived, ending up with 4 sometimes 5 separate Titles for each organisation, it ruined the sport!! The only 'true' ratings for selecting which boxer was the true No.1 were the Ring magazines ratings? There again, the BBBC weren't free of 'taint' back in the day, there were some very odd results under their stewardship, none more obvious than when Winstone jabbed Saldivar to bits and lost the decision!!

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:13 pm
World XV Player

Otto wrote:
Shame is, when the the (IMO) silly break-up in boxing arrived, ending up with 4 sometimes 5 separate Titles for each organisation, it ruined the sport!! !!

That and the increased sub division in weights :angry4:

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:19 pm
World XV Player

In 1975 at The East Glamorgan hospital in Church village, was born Martyn Elwyn Williams. He moved around a little when young though the Rhondda valley, living in Maerdy, Porth, and Penygraig. Before settling in Pontypridd, where he went to school at Coed-Y-Lan junior school. Having flirted with the round ball when younger, the oval ball now became everything. Moving on to play mini rugby at Pontyclun, it wasn't long before the calling came from Pontypridd. The rest, as they say is history..................

Penblwydd Hapus !

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:44 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

In 1963 was born Warren David Gatland in Hamilton, New Zealand. Educated at Te Awamutu College, Hamilton Boys' High School and Waikato University. His first game as an All Black was in 1988, when he is said to have introduced a part-Australian Rules, part-Gaelic football game to the training sessions, which was well received by the other players.

Gatland became the record-holder of the most games for Waikato near the end of the 1994 season. He finished the season with 140 games in total and announced his retirement before the start of the 1995 season. Gatland played 17 matches for the All Blacks, scoring two tries. A robust, skilful hooker who had been a loose forward until he was 21, his international career was stymied by Sean Fitzpatrick’s longevity and dominance in the hooking position.

The trained teacher was instead a stalwart of Waikato provincial rugby and played against the 1993 Lions, scoring a try as the province hammered the tourists 38-10.

Gatland launched his coaching career as a player/coach for Taupiri in 1989, and following the 1989 New Zealand rugby union tour, he remained in Ireland to act as a player/coach for Galwegians RFC, leading the team to promotion into the All-Ireland League Division 2. After retiring from the club in 1994, he became assistant coach to Thames Valley in New Zealand. He coached the team to promotion from the third Division to the second in the National Provincial Championship. In 1996, he returned to Ireland and became the director of rugby at Connacht leading them to the quarter-finals of the 1997–98 European Challenge Cup after twice beating Northampton Saints in the pool stages.

Gatland began coaching at a higher level in 1998, getting his first appointment as Ireland coach. He eventually went on to successfully coach both Wales, and The Lions......

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

In 1935, Swansea RFC defeated the New Zealand All Blacks 11-3 at St Helens, becoming the first ever club side to beat them. Swansea had also gained the distinction of being the 1st club side ever to defeat a full New Zealand touring team. The win over New Zealand followed victories over Australia in 1908 and South Africa in 1912, making Swansea the first club side ever to beat the three southern hemisphere rugby superpowers.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:37 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Swansea kept that one quiet.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:35 pm
Site Admin

ICEverything wrote:
Swansea kept that one quiet.
Great achievements never need shouting about, bragging only shows you up for what you are.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:24 pm
Profile E-mail