It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:42 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Gardening Club Notes 
World XV Player

Post Re: Gardening Club Notes
My first year being green fingered

Had two buckets full of potatoes, some tomatoes and and a tub of beans. Cucumbers didn't come though :(

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:48 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

You need a greenhouse fitted with scrambling nets to grow cucumbers. And unless you buy expensive seeds, the male cucumbers will fertilise the female cucumbers and make them taste disgusting.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:59 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
You need a greenhouse fitted with scrambling nets to grow cucumbers. And unless you buy expensive seeds, the male cucumbers will fertilise the female cucumbers and make them taste disgusting.

Cheers spin :thumbup:

Looking forward to next year, will be getting a green house up in time and be a bit more prepared.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:04 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Grow some beetroot Prys!

Greatest veggie of all time! :D

Shane Williams

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:31 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Donkey wrote:
Grow some beetroot Prys!

Greatest veggie of all time! :D

..and grow onions & build an asparagus bed at the same time. Then you can have funny coloured turds and smelly piss and breath all summer every year!

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:46 am
World XV Player

:D

Shane Williams

Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:47 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

spinbreath wrote:

A pack of F1 cucumber seed isn't that expensive is it? And you don't need to tend and feed male plants.

If you twist the cucumber plant around string and pince out the side shoots as it grows you can get away without using side scrambling nets and more energy for fruit production . Cucumbers are a bug.ger do for attracting redspider mites to greenhouses.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Might have to look into beetroot, love the stuff

Asparagus is a no-no for me though!!!

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:09 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Fingal wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

A pack of F1 cucumber seed isn't that expensive is it? And you don't need to tend and feed male plants.

If you twist the cucumber plant around string and pince out the side shoots as it grows you can get away without using side scrambling nets and more energy for fruit production . Cucumbers are a bug.ger do for attracting redspider mites to greenhouses.

It's a while since I grew them, but it used to be a case of getting pricey feminised seeds or else taking the risk. You get male and females on the same plant, so the male does his nasty business all over the female and makes her very bitter - which in some ways is a metaphor for human relationships. :D

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:16 pm
World XV Player

Prys#1 wrote:

Asparagus is a no-no for everyone apparently, but only a section of the population have the genetic make-up to smell the byproducts.

I cannot smell it, so I love the stuff!

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:24 pm
Regional Player

Prys#1 wrote:

Asparagus anyway takes a couple of years to get a bed up and running.Sandy soils IIRC particularly suit it.

Raspberries are good if you have a wet patch of the garden, good heavy croppers when harvested regularly, easy to freeze fruit for use in winter or make homemade sorbet.

The canes left over from winter pruning come in handy when staking up flowers or peas. Only downside is that you need to control the roots otherwise they will spread, I just dig up the ground around them every year.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:33 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I need to kill off a load of ivy thats appeared on out fence, any ideas as to how to make ity go away and not come back? Is this a good time of year to do it?

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 pm
World XV Player

Fids the Blindside wrote:
I need to kill off a load of ivy thats appeared on out fence, any ideas as to how to make ity go away and not come back? Is this a good time of year to do it?

Cut away all the stems that come from the ground to the ivy on the fence and pull as many up as possible. Burn the stuff you pull up and off the ground - it will reroot if given the chance. Wait until the ivy on the fence dies and then pull it off (burn this too). In the spring when it starts to grow again, treat any shoots with roundup.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:22 pm
thread ruining clique

Aye. The longer you leave ivy the more of a twat it becomes. Deal with while it's young and it's not so much of an issue.
Chopping it alone won't work as it can absorb water through its 'feet', so chop it and pull it down as CL says.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:38 pm
World XV Player

I thought thats what I'd have to do

would rubbing beetroot on it kill it? lethal horrible stuff, should be outlawed

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:05 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next