It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Gardening Club Notes 
World XV Player

Post Gardening Club Notes
I like Springtime!

Polyanthus in a multitude of colours, hyacinths of several types including white and blue grape hyacinths, narcissus/daffodils (loads of different colours and sizes), tulips the same from giant reds to small and delicate harlequins, wallflowers, forget me nots, white and blue, er, bluebells, clematis opening this weekend, scabius, lily of the valley, camellia with their buds just cracking open this morning, the dark reds of peoni stems - almost 18" high now some of them, St Bridget Anemones which have done us proud ...

Our pocket garden's looking a treat, gents. Dandelions getting the treatment ...... pretty colour but a pain in the backside ...

Oh, and a few Ipheion Uniflorum (blue flower, new to me), multi-coloured pansies, a glorious flowering currant bush a couple of forsythia with the blossom glowing .... the poppies are bushing up and won't be long .......

I've seen a few giant bumble bees, a cloud or two of midges, some lacewing, a few false wasps, half a dozen butterflies, ladybirds stuffing themselves silly on greenfly .... a couple of mice, a sparrow hawk, magpies, jackdaws and 30 or 40 fledgling songbirds visit every 45 mutes to an hour accompanied by mam and dad. A few blackbirds, the resident robin and we even saw a wren in the warm mornings of a few days back.

The Irises and Lilies are coming along and the only colour absent out there at the moment is the deep dark blue/black of the tulips we bought out in Holland at Floriade and Keukenhof. They're missing it seems, but they are 4 or 5 years old ...

Ain't life grand?

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 am
World XV Player

Post Re: Gardening Club Notes
If I had a window box I'd crazy pave it.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Sleeper wrote:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:59 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
Sleeper wrote:

:D :thefinger:

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:06 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Still working on our garden. Got to dig up the entire front as it's choked with bamboo. That's after I've finished decorating two bedrooms. And then there's the back garden to do.
It never ends. One day I'll be able to have a nice sit down.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:20 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Still working on our garden. Got to dig up the entire front as it's choked with bamboo. That's after I've finished decorating two bedrooms. And then there's the back garden to do.
It never ends. One day I'll be able to have a nice sit down.

*fupping* hell you've got 2 bedrooms in your garden, gas explosion was it or do you live in abig tent :thefinger:

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:43 pm
World XV Player

You guys ....

:kermit: :kermit: :kermit:

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 pm
Site Admin

Sleeper wrote:
:D :D :D :D :D

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:28 am
Profile E-mail
I'll be getting my ScrOG on the grow very soon! Just got to wait for the new carbon filter to arrive!

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm
thread ruining clique

Ivan Dobsky wrote:
I'll be getting my ScrOG on the grow very soon! Just got to wait for the new carbon filter to arrive!

Have been hearing about some new things to grow called 'autos', which apparently skip the vegetative stage and proceed straight to flowering. A friend of mine grew some lovely flowers using them.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:17 pm
World XV Player

My germination hasn't gone too well this spring. And mice have eaten the tops off my parsnips.

Having said that, my sweet pea collection is coming on just fine. 8)

Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:01 pm
Site Admin

My garden is pretty much self sufficient now. There are things to do but I will not be out there for at least a month. :(

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:41 am
spinbreath wrote:
Have been hearing about some new things to grow called 'autos', which apparently skip the vegetative stage and proceed straight to flowering. A friend of mine grew some lovely flowers using them.

A novelty until someone fixes the problem with the ridiculously low yields that they produce.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:58 am
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Ivan Dobsky wrote:

I bet we could have a wonderful conversation about plants........ It's been so long since I lived in NZ, I wonder if techniques have evolved? Judging by these posts it has. :shock: Carbon filters and autos!?? We had cages and crystal jelly. :D

And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my child's throat.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 am
World XV Player

lc

Current techniques in NZ seem to revolve around the principle that plants just want to grow and using earth, sun and water to help them if necessary - cheating a bit occasionally with slow release pellets.

Brown leaves don't turn green!

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 am
Profile E-mail
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next