It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 am

Snow Joke 
thread ruining clique

Post Snow Joke
Proper, old fashioned snow up here. Friday we had ongoing blizzards all day, as well as thunder and lightning. Couldn't even get off my drive.
Saturday I managed to get out on the road. The differences in the various levels of town were astonishing. St Asaph (six mile closer to the sea) there was no snow in the low lying areas, but a smattering up the top. Denbigh, where I live, the snow was still standing downtown, whereas uptown most roads were impassable. At the very peak of the hill, up by the castle, there were two foot high drifts, which I had to wade through, and now I'm aching like a *Bar steward* after using muscles long since dormant.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:09 pm
World XV Player

Post Re: Snow Joke
I moved to the coast from the valleys 7 years ago. Other than not raining all the time, my next favourite thing is we have only had snow once.
Frost is gone off the cars by 9AM and roads de iced as it gets light. :D 8) (cant find a 'smug' emo )

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:20 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I lives on the South Coast now in england. We had some rain today. I only just fixed my car so I am grateful for that. I remember the days when there was real snow in Wales. One night in particular the bus from Newport stopped at the roundabout in LLanfrechfa. We got off and walked two steps and had to step up on 2 feet of compacted snow the bus couldn't get through. ... I think it was the mid '70's. I don't think we have had 'real' snow in decades :-)

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

When I was a kid we had snow up to my chest.

I was only 3ft tall then though

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Has been snowing all day and not getting any deeper, about 1"

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:55 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Does anyone use winger tyres in the UK?

As soon as the temp drops below 5°C you should be using winters.

Snow events seem to be becoming a regular event in UK so might be worth thinking about a set; in Canada our insurance goes down 5% if you have a full set of winters fitted for winter.

They work.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:01 pm
World XV Player

Berlin Warrior wrote:
Does anyone use winger tyres in the UK?

As soon as the temp drops below 5°C you should be using winters.

Snow events seem to be becoming a regular event in UK so might be worth thinking about a set; in Canada our insurance goes down 5% if you have a full set of winters fitted for winter.

They work.

I see the sense of what you are saying, but how many tyres (and wheels) will 5% of your insurance cover? Probably not the cost of putting the tyres on the rims.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

First time it's been this bad around here in a decade. Normally winters are just wet and miserable.
I've heard tales from the 60s when the drifts were six foot deep and people couldn't find their cars.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm
World XV Player

6 - 8 inches here, no gritters in sight, chaos

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

spinbreath wrote:
First time it's been this bad around here in a decade. Normally winters are just wet and miserable.
I've heard tales from the 60s when the drifts were six foot deep and people couldn't find their cars.

I seem to remember seeing a news clip from The Gurnos in Merthyr and there was a snow drift over a house Think it was 1962/63

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Big And Dull wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

I seem to remember seeing a news clip from The Gurnos in Merthyr and there was a snow drift over a house Think it was 1962/63

There's an old black and white photo - have looked on Google but can't find it - of proper snow in the old days, where they'd dug out the roads and the cars were driving up and down trenches with six foot high walls of snow either side, much like X-Wings attempting to destroy the Death Star.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:03 pm
World XV Player

spinbreath wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

There's an old black and white photo - have looked on Google but can't find it - of proper snow in the old days, where they'd dug out the roads and the cars were driving up and down trenches with six foot high walls of snow either side, much like X-Wings attempting to destroy the Death Star.

Wales 1946 snow ...search. and multiple photos on browser

winter 1946/47

I remember my parents trying to get me to schol :D :D

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:07 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
spinbreath wrote:
Big And Dull wrote:
spinbreath wrote:

Wales 1946 snow ...search. and multiple photos on browser

winter 1946/47

I remember my parents trying to get me to school :D

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:09 pm
thread ruining clique

Yup, that's the one.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 pm
World XV Player

I have a taxi picking us up for the airport at 4:30 Tuesday morning. Starting to get a bit nervous now. :scratch:

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile E-mail