It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Visiting Wales during the RWC 
Mini Player

Post Visiting Wales during the RWC
I'm travelling to Cardiff with a few friends for the Ireland vs France game in October. We are spending a few days in North Wales and hoping to fit in a climb of Mount Snowdon. We are then planning on heading south and spending the Friday night somewhere roughly between Snowdon and Cardiff and I'm looking for suggestions of towns to stay and things to do. Ideally we're looking for a town (big or small) where we'll be able to enjoy a few pints. We are currently considering Aberystwyth but I'm completely to open to suggestions.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:40 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Post Re: Visiting Wales during the RWC
Shoulder2Shoulder wrote:
I'm travelling to Cardiff with a few friends for the Ireland vs France game in October. We are spending a few days in North Wales and hoping to fit in a climb of Mount Snowdon. We are then planning on heading south and spending the Friday night somewhere roughly between Snowdon and Cardiff and I'm looking for suggestions of towns to stay and things to do. Ideally we're looking for a town (big or small) where we'll be able to enjoy a few pints. We are currently considering Aberystwyth but I'm completely to open to suggestions.

I would have thought Aberystwth would be the most vibrant and you would have a great choice of pubs eating places etc. Machynlleth nearer to Snowdonia a couple of decent pubs, Builth Wells could be Ok not so far to travel on to Cardiff not as busy as Aber.
Whenever ive passed through Rhayader i always think it looks a great place to stop off for a night, about four pubs in walking distance and full of character.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Depends on how much travelling you want to do on match day ? If you don't mind a lengthy journey on match day on Saturday, I'd go for Aberystwyth. Not sure how old you are, but it's a uni town and gets quite lively, when all the students will be back in town in October. If you prefer a shorter journey after a few pints on Friday night, maybe travel down to Brecon. That's okay for a night out, although not as lively as Aber. But much closer and easier journey on match day.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:16 pm
Profile E-mail
Mini Player

Llew wrote:
Depends on how much travelling you want to do on match day ? If you don't mind a lengthy journey on match day on Saturday, I'd go for Aberystwyth. Not sure how old you are, but it's a uni town and gets quite lively, when all the students will be back in town in October. If you prefer a shorter journey after a few pints on Friday night, maybe travel down to Brecon. That's okay for a night out, although not as lively as Aber. But much closer and easier journey on match day.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should have mentioned. We are staying in Cardiff on the Sat and Sunday (night before and night of the game) so its just a stopping point for a night out on our way to Cardiff. We're all 26/27 years old.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:23 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Shoulder2Shoulder wrote:
Llew wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should have mentioned. We are staying in Cardiff on the Sat and Sunday (night before and night of the game) so its just a stopping point for a night out on our way to Cardiff. We're all 26/27 years old.

October can be very hit and miss for Snowdon, and if your walking there is ruined by bad weather. A back up plan, could be Brecon, where you have Pen y fan at 886M, and Corn Du at 873M. Again it's weather permitting. So if you want to have two options on walking, maybe go for Brecon instead of Aber ?

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:41 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Llew wrote:
Shoulder2Shoulder wrote:
Llew wrote:

October can be very hit and miss for Snowdon, and if your walking there is ruined by bad weather. A back up plan, could be Brecon, where you have Pen y fan at 886M, and Corn Du at 873M. Again it's weather permitting. So if you want to have two options on walking, maybe go for Brecon instead of Aber ?
What's the option when both are weather dependent? :scratch: :D

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Llanelli is simply a must.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Shoulder2Shoulder wrote:
Llew wrote:

Stop off in Brecon, not a bad call actually

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:56 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

GN100 wrote:

If you have no small babies with you and you don't like travelling as the crow flies, that's not a bad call either ;)

There is a giant mountain of bullshit there that not many people have conquered :thumbright:

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Thegrimriper wrote:
Llew wrote:
Shoulder2Shoulder wrote:
Llew wrote:

What's the option when both are weather dependent? :scratch: :D

If it's bad enough, they'll be stuck in Ireland. :D

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:00 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

GN100 wrote:

Thats the last place in Wales Id recommend, Id suggest Porth over there TBH!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:01 pm
World XV Player

If your coming from the Snowdon area head for Shrewsbury and then down the A 49 to Hereford, OK its England but there's more Welsh people here than some towns in Wales :D

Probably about 2 hours to get here and then an hour and a half to Cardiff.

You can buy me a few and I'll only be too happy to let you :D

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:03 pm
World XV Player

Go to Neath mun. Proper town mun. Don't expect much welcome though cos we (them) are animals.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 pm
World XV Player

zz

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 am
Profile E-mail
thread ruining clique

Aberystwyth is a good stopping point if you want to come down the west side of Wales. If you wanted to try the east side then I'd recommend Ludlow - which is over the border but is a lovely place.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:12 am