It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:16 am

Cardiff Blues v Pau (Challenge Cup semi-final) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Cardiff Blues v Pau (Challenge Cup semi-final)
Langland Exile wrote:
Dr Bob looks a natural in the TV booth

Dr Bob. Played for three Capital city teams, Wales legend, who qualified as a Medical Doctor while playing, is tall and doesn't look like the rear end of a donkey and now it turns out he's good at the tele. Nice one Dr Bob.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:50 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

Dr Bob. Played for three Capital city teams, Wales legend, who qualified as a Medical Doctor while playing, is tall and doesn't look like the rear end of a donkey and now it turns out he's good at the tele. Nice one Dr Bob.

I bet he has BO and his farts smell though :kermit: :kermit:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Big And Dull wrote:
simondavis wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:

I bet he has BO and his farts smell though :kermit: :kermit:

I saw him, spied him, up The Heath once in the cafe. Sadly he is Mr clean cut perfect. I bet he spends hours in front of a mirror with what hairdressers call product.

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 pm
World XV Player

Great guy but all those bangs on the bonce will come back to haunt him.

Do you remember him playing on for Wales against Oz with a fractured skull?

Definitely one of the good guys and our most successful teams in the modern era were built around him.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 pm
World XV Player

Apparently lots of women adore Roberts, and when I've seen him in interviews he certainly thinks he is God's gift to women. I suppose it is because (a) he is built like a tank even by modern rugby standards (for a back he is an especially big outlier in that respect) and (b) he is quite intellectual and sophisticated, what with his medical degree and strong emphasis on fashion.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Apparently lots of women adore Roberts, and when I've seen him in interviews he certainly thinks he is God's gift to women. I suppose it is because (a) he is built like a tank even by modern rugby standards (for a back he is an especially big outlier in that respect) and (b) he is quite intellectual and sophisticated, what with his medical degree and strong emphasis on fashion.

I think he comes over as just being a very very nice bloke. A grown up human being. He's one of those fellas who'll be a success in whatever he does. Hard working, intelligent and personable. I wonder if he'll return to his medical career when he retires. He'd make a marvelous Chairman of the WRU.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:59 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
najbritcol wrote:

I think he comes over as just being a very very nice bloke. A grown up human being. He's one of those fellas who'll be a success in whatever he does. Hard working, intelligent and personable. I wonder if he'll return to his medical career when he retires. He'd make a marvelous Chairman of the WRU.

What a waste of talent....

Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:01 am
World XV Player

I remember this FT article ...interview with Roberts ...entitled 'My First Million'

FirstFT is our new essential daily email briefing of the best stories from across the web
Born: Newport, 1986
Education: Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf, Cardiff. Qualified as a doctor at Cardiff University School of Medicine in 2013

Career: Began playing career at Cardiff Blues aged 17, made full international debut in 2008. Signed for Racing Metro 92 in Paris in July 2013
Lives: Paris

Did you think you would get to where you are?

As a teenager I was quite a high achiever. I really enjoyed rugby and my first period of success was at 15. I was asked to captain the Cardiff schools rugby team. I realised I had a chance to do really well in the sport. As for a medical career, I was a bit of a geek at school so it seemed a perfect fit. I was into maths, science and problem solving. I sat my A-levels in Argentina while I was in the Under 21 World Cup.

What is the secret of your success?

I have managed my time very well. I am highly organised, not so much now but certainly during my university days, as I had to have a clear mind. I was extremely busy most days. I would train from seven o’clock, attend lectures from nine until five o’clock, and go back to training for a few hours most evenings. My third year at medical school was the hardest for me on and off the field, when I had my first professional rugby contract. Cardiff Blues paid me £40,000 a year. I was 21.

Have you had time for personal financial planning?

My dad was careful with his money and instilled good habits into me and my brother, encouraging us as kids to save for the future. I’ve been switched on to financial planning from a young age, especially as a professional sportsman, where career earnings can be significantly high early on.
Hopefully I will be mortgage free in two or three years. I will have only had a mortgage for eight or nine years on a property valued at around £400,000. It’s a three-bedroom Victorian house in Pontcanna, a nice part of Cardiff. For two years I had three friends from university renting rooms from me, but then I wanted to live on my own. I spent £70,000 on having the place renovated in 2011. I have considered investing in a second property, but I’m relaxed about the idea for the time being.
I would rather invest in stocks and shares at the moment. I have a financial adviser in Cardiff, who works in conjunction with a bigger firm in London. I have a private pension through them and have invested close to the maximum allowed every year since I was 22.
Six months ago I became an ambassador for Voyage by Investec, the private bank account. As my salary is paid in euros and travel frequently I utilise the account’s foreign exchange facilities and travel perks.

How did you manage to combine medicine with professional rugby?

It usually takes five years to qualify as a doctor, but I took eight. I did three years full-time, spent another year doing an intercalated BSc in sport and exercise science, and my fourth and fifth years I did part-time over four years. When my rugby career took off I thought many times of giving up medicine, but with a little determination and some persuasion from my mother I carried on. I’m glad I did.
Right now I would choose rugby over medicine. Not many people get the chance to play for their country. I only have this window in time to play rugby, but the rest of my life to pursue my medical career.

At what point does a player earn serious money in rugby?

There is a big jump in your income when you become an international player. Your market value is that much more, off the field as well. My main sponsors are Under Armour, the sports clothing brand, and Red Bull. Around 12 per cent of my income is from sponsorship. You also earn bonuses at international level when you win matches, and at club level if you win the league title or European cup competition.

Do you want to carry on till you drop?

Ultimately, my body will dictate when I retire from rugby. I would like eventually to retire on my own terms rather than have a serious injury end my career. With a contact sport it is difficult to prevent injury among players, who are getting bigger and more powerful and running towards each other at crazy speeds. I would realistically like to play for another six or seven years. Then I would hope to return to medicine. My ultimate dream is to be an orthopaedic surgeon or to work in sports medicine in some capacity.

What is your commitment to charity?

I am a patron of ASH Wales, the antismoking pressure group and charity in Cardiff. I got into it in 2009 through a friend I grew up with, who started working for them. My involvement is much less now that I live in France, but before I was involved with young people and endorsing the charity’s message. As rugby players we help charities in numerous ways, by attending dinners, and donating memorabilia or signing shirts for auctions.
Do you invest in sports memorabilia?
I have a signed photograph album of Muhammad Ali’s career that I bought at an auction for £500 in 2010. I’ve also got a signed jersey belonging to Lionel Messi, the Argentine footballer who plays for Barcelona. I don’t regard these items as investments, though.

Do you allow yourself the odd indulgence?

I am into watches. I treat myself to a new watch every time I achieve something significant, like passing a set of exams, or winning a tournament. I have got a few Rolexes. One is a vintage watch that I bought after we beat France and won the Six Nations in 2012. I walked into Watches of Switzerland and bought this watch with a red and blue bezel that perfectly represented the two countries.
I also enjoy dining out. In Paris my favourite restaurants are Germain in St Germain, and Mama Shelter in the 20th arrondissement which has a rooftop terrace.

What is the most you have ever paid for a bottle of fine wine or champagne?

In 2009 I was at a nightclub in Las Vegas with friends and spent $600 on a bottle of Dom Pérignon. After a long season it was well worth it! It was to celebrate the end of the British Lions tour to South Africa.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2014. You may share using our article tools.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am
World XV Player

Cheers, TP.

Good stuff from back when ...

He's off to Bath next - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/jamie-roberts-joins-bath-harlequins-wales-rugby-british-and-irish-lions-a8255911.html

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 am