It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 12:55 pm

How come Leinster are playing at the Aviva in the semi? 
World XV Player

Post How come Leinster are playing at the Aviva in the semi?
Surely this isn't in the spirit of the game even if it is somehow in the rules? How come they an get away with this? They shouldn't be playing there should they?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:08 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Post Re: How come Leinster are playing at the Aviva in the semi?
The RDS is the home ground of Leinster. Home country advantage is the term and this rule was predetermined at the outset of the competition. If Scarlets wanted to play the semi in Wales they should have won all of their group games and finished top seeds.. Besides there only advantage playing in the Aviva is more moolah for the EPRC god knows they made a balls of getting those five big sponsors they promised.... I expect a reduced European competition in future as with 3 pro 14 teams making the semis the English clubs will try and walk away with the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLZ_kbWCvTU

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:11 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Winning all group games and finishing top seeds has nothing at all to do with the process, or the Scarlets would have had a home country advantage in 2007 instead of travelling to Leicester to play the semi a stone's throw from Leicester's home ground.
The venue for the semi under this permutation was pre-determined before the competition started.
What should be considered unfair is Leinster being allowed to play at a venue that they regularly use as a 'home' venue in bigger games, including those against Munster, and a ground which they have used as a 'home' venue for the quarter final last weekend.

Still, it is what it is, and I've no doubt that we Scarlets will give a good account of ourselves, both players and fans at the Aviva in three weeks time.
I'll be there as I was last May.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:15 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Scarletrover wrote:
Winning all group games and finishing top seeds has nothing at all to do with the process, or the Scarlets would have had a home country advantage in 2007 instead of travelling to Leicester to play the semi a stone's throw from Leicester's home ground.
The venue for the semi under this permutation was pre-determined before the competition started.
What should be considered unfair is Leinster being allowed to play at a venue that they regularly use as a 'home' venue in bigger games, including those against Munster, and a ground which they have used as a 'home' venue for the quarter final last weekend.

Still, it is what it is, and I've no doubt that we Scarlets will give a good account of ourselves, both players and fans at the Aviva in three weeks time.

The only two viable alternatives outside of the Aviva would be Thomond(26k) and Ravenhill(18k). Croke Pairc would be just too messy to organise if at all possible.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:27 pm
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

It is because Leinster qualified as top seeds. Rules were changed when the Brits threw the toys out of the Pram here’s an article explains it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... 9?mode=amp

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 pm
World XV Player

Leinsterblue wrote:
The RDS is the home ground of Leinster. Home country advantage is the term and this rule was predetermined at the outset of the competition. If Scarlets wanted to play the semi in Wales they should have won all of their group games and finished top seeds.. Besides there only advantage playing in the Aviva is more moolah for the EPRC god knows they made a balls of getting those five big sponsors they promised.... I expect a reduced European competition in future as with 3 pro 14 teams making the semis the English clubs will try and walk away with the ball

Yes home country but not home ground. Try answering my question please.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Scarletrover wrote:

agreed.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Scarletrover wrote:

The only two viable alternatives outside of the Aviva would be Thomond(26k) and Ravenhill(18k). Croke Pairc would be just too messy to organise if at all possible.

But that's not the point...

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

dragonking7 wrote:
It is because Leinster qualified as top seeds. Rules were changed when the Brits threw the toys out of the Pram here’s an article explains it.

it doesn't, with respect,answer my question.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:58 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
International Player

dragonking7 wrote:

What a blydi brain melter :shock:
Really once the first knock out round is over it shouldn't matter a damn what the results in the pool stages were. It's not as though each pool starts off as equally difficult never mind how equal they are as the fixtures progress.

Ideally the venues for the Semis should be decided between the two teams involved with a coin toss to decide if no agreement. But there are other factors that figure.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:33 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

SimplyRed wrote:
Surely this isn't in the spirit of the game even if it is somehow in the rules? How come they an get away with this? They shouldn't be playing there should they?

Go on tell us where they should be playing in Ireland and fill us in what you mean by the spirit of the game? The cricketers use that term all the time which is a bit rich considering the extensive cheating history of cricket from WG Grace to the present day Aussies. From what I can see it comes out when one side doesn't get its own way and the rules work against them.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

Go on tell us where they should be playing in Ireland and fill us in what you mean by the spirit of the game? The cricketers use that term all the time which is a bit rich considering the extensive cheating history of cricket from WG Grace to the present day Aussies. From what I can see it comes out when one side doesn't get its own way and the rules work against them.

The last part of your post, is particularly telling IMO.

Sean

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
SimplyRed wrote:

?? if you ACTUALLY look at the LAWS of rugby "spirit of the game" is part of it....try reading up on it before you get abusive Fing... :thumbup:

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:32 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

S'not fair Scarlets fans say!! I'm with you Irish boys. Leinster thoroughly deserve their home draw, they are the top seeds, they played for it, they deserve it. Isn't that the whole point of the competition? Anyhow, The Scarlets will take loads of support and they'll all have a cracking day out in Dublin. What's not to like?

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
S'not fair Scarlets fans say!! I'm with you Irish boys. Leinster thoroughly deserve their home draw, they are the top seeds, they played for it, they deserve it. Isn't that the whole point of the competition? Anyhow, The Scarlets will take loads of support and they'll all have a cracking day out in Dublin. What's not to like?

Absolutely and well said.

Sean

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 pm
Profile E-mail