It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 7:42 pm

European Championship Quarter Finals. 
World XV Player

Post Re: European Championship Quarter Finals.
daidimview wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:
The Pro 14 has certainly won the U.K. league contest.

Apparently, the Aviva is now to physical and hard to competeon both levels :scratch:

It's hard to say about physicality but I don't agree with that overall. I think that simply the game in the Pro 14 is faster than in the other two leagues and also we don't have promotion and relegation issue so we can develop players faster by giving them game time without worrying about it. That old nugget!

'I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you.' ( John Wardell, aka Jah Wobble from his album 'Take me to God' who when introduced to John Lydon in a pub was so utterly pissed that he couldn't even pronounce his own name: thus 'Jah Wobble'.)

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:34 pm
World XV Player

simondavis wrote:
daidimview wrote:
JOHNWALES wrote:

Apparently, the Aviva is now to physical and hard to competeon both levels :scratch:

It's hard to say about physicality but I don't agree with that overall. I think that simply the game in the Pro 14 is faster than in the other two leagues and also we don't have promotion and relegation issue so we can develop players faster by giving them game time without worrying about it. That old nugget!

Although some teams in the Pro 14 such as Munster and the Ospreys tend to be more forward-orientated, by and large it is less set-piece focused, less attritional and more running focused than the other two leagues.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Is Scarlets ground eligible for a 1/4 final venue?

EPCR regs state a minimum of 15k, Pys is officially less than that.

Safety regs abd certificates have to comply.

Maybe they'll have to play it at the Liberty :scratch: :D

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:

They have the ability to add temporary seating to get to 15,000

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Yep, Toulon and Quins have had to do that in the past.

Goood Press though ;)

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 pm
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Goood Press though ;)

For sad, uninformed people, yes. It says a lot about the Welsh press that they immediately print a "story" without bothering to check any facts. They also deny the achievements of the only successful local team. Really bizarre, and the editors should be sacked.

I was told in Llanelli as a kid, "Nobody is better than they should be".

That negative attitude still prevails

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:28 am
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Goood Press though ;)

For sad, uninformed people, yes. It says a lot about the Welsh press that they immediately print a "story" without bothering to check any facts. They also deny the achievements of the only successful local team. Really bizarre, and the editors should be sacked.

That attitude stinks and we as Welshmen should get over it.
You try to tell even the most ardent Welshman that the last war between Wales and England was won by Wales and they bury their head in their hands and say no it was won because the English generals sided with a Welshman against their own king.
It is a load of hogwash. Henry's army consisted mainly of Welshmen (FULL STOP).
The problem arose because Henry's son had a Yorkist mother and he played the Yorkist cards all his life to the detriment of Wales and changed the story.
Over the centuries Wales has been told the 'English' story until it is embedded.
Even today they will try to say the battle took place Bosworth which is also nonsense. The Battle took place at Mancetter as Henry was headed to London because He had Welsh and family connections there and Richard had to stop him getting there which is why he rushed to Mancetter (modern-day Atherstone) to block the Bridge over the River Anker on the old Roman Road to London.
Even today when we beat England it is not because we were the better side, it is because England imploded.
Sorry, this is my hobby horse, we put ourselves down with negativity.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:

Goood Press though ;)

That attitude stinks and we as Welshmen should get over it.
You try to tell even the most ardent Welshman that the last war between Wales and England was won by Wales and they bury their head in their hands and say no it was won because the English generals sided with a Welshman against their own king.
It is a load of hogwash. Henry's army consisted mainly of Welshmen (FULL STOP).
The problem arose because Henry's son had a Yorkist mother and he played the Yorkist cards all his life to the detriment of Wales and changed the story.
Over the centuries Wales has been told the 'English' story until it is embedded.
Even today they will try to say the battle took place Bosworth which is also nonsense. The Battle took place at Mancetter as Henry was headed to London because He had Welsh and family connections there and Richard had to stop him getting there which is why he rushed to Mancetter (modern-day Atherstone) to block the Bridge over the River Anker on the old Roman Road to London.
Even today when we beat England it is not because we were the better side, it is because England imploded.
Sorry, this is my hobby horse, we put ourselves down with negativity.

I have a first degree in history, from what was, UC Swansea, 1991. The same or similar challenges are made over the site of Hastings, in 1066. Time Team did an episode of their show at Battle Abbey and suggested that at least the final stand, could have been fought elsewhere.

Is there wider credence than the admittedly plausible and intriguing onlne theories of Michael K Jones? Because its one thing to bemoan the history books and quite another to change them. That said, I've just ordered his book about Bosworth from Amazon. The involvement of the Stanley's will remain in dispute I suspect, for the foreseeable future. The most startlng recent revelation relevant to Bosworth was the discovery of Richard the Third, under a car park.

Sean

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

For those interested in attending the Scarlets game, tickets are going on sale to ST holders only from 9am Friday 26th January to 7pm on Friday 9th February. I guess non ST holders can purchase tickets after the 9th Feb.

If the Toulon game on the weekend is anything to go by, the match day experience is going to be pretty amazing. With the capacity increased with temporary seating it should be electric in there. Get your tickets early folks - when their gone their gone. :D

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm
World XV Player

Bookies have Leins 5 pts winners v Saracens but Saracens 3 favs overall

https://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union ... mpions-cup

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 am
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
For those interested in attending the Scarlets game, tickets are going on sale to ST holders only from 9am Friday 26th January to 7 pm on Friday 9th February. I guess non-ST holders can purchase tickets after the 9th Feb.

If the Toulon game on the weekend is anything to go by, the match day experience is going to be pretty amazing. With the capacity increased with temporary seating, it should be electric in there. Get your tickets early folks - when they're gone they're gone. :D

I think we need to take one match at a time and enjoy the trip.
If we go further than the quarters, it would be wonderful but let's enjoy the ride.
All we as fans want is to see the development of our exciting style of play.
Hopefully, this will spill over onto our national team.
Arm wrestles are great and we had that in the second half against Toulon and a thrill a minute in the first half must be the match of the season. Well to me it was anyway. :D

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am
Profile E-mail
Junior Player

JOHNWALES wrote:

Is the PRO14 a UK league or a multi-country Championship headquartered in Ireland?

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 pm
Profile E-mail
International Player

Scarlets up first.

EPCR
Quote:
HAMPIONS CUP quarter-finals
(All kick-offs local time)

Friday 30 March
QF 2: Scarlets v La Rochelle, Parc y Scarlets (17.30) BT Sport / beIN SPORTS
Saturday 31 March
QF 3: Munster Rugby v RC Toulon, Thomond Park (15.15) Sky Sports / FR 2 / beIN SPORTS

Sunday 1 April
QF 4: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Racing 92, Stade Marcel-Michelin (14.00) beIN SPORTS / Sky Sports
QF 1: Leinster Rugby v Saracens, Aviva Stadium (15.30) BT Sport / beIN SPORTS

Semi-final 1 - winner of QF 1: Leinster Rugby v Saracens will play the winner of QF 2: Scarlets v La Rochelle
Semi-final 2 - winner of QF 3: Munster Rugby v RC Toulon will play the winner of QF 4: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Racing 92
(Matches to be played on 21/22 April)

Champions Cup final: Saturday 12 May; San Mamés Stadium, Bilbao (17.45)

CHALLENGE CUP quarter-finals

Friday 30 March
QF 1: Pau v Stade Francais Paris, Stade du Hameau (21.00) FR 4 / beIN SPORTS / BT Sport
QF 4: Newcastle Falcons v Brive, Kingston Park (20.00) Sky Sports / beIN SPORTS

Saturday 31 March
QF 3: Connacht Rugby v Gloucester Rugby, The Sportsground (13.00) BT Sport / beIN SPORTS
QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues, BT Murrayfield (17.45) Sky Sports / beIN SPORTS

Semi-final 1 - winner of QF 1: Pau v Stade Francais Paris will play the winner of QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues
Semi-final 2 - winner of QF 3: Connacht Rugby v Gloucester Rugby will play the winner of QF 4: Newcastle Falcons v Brive

Challenge Cup final: Friday 11 May; San Mamés Stadium, Bilbao (21.00)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:04 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Fingal wrote:
Scarlets up first.

EPCR
Quote:

Friday 30 March
Saturday 31 March
QF 3: Munster Rugby v RC Toulon, Thomond Park (15.15) Sky Sports / FR 2 / beIN SPORTS

Sunday 1 April
QF 4: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Racing 92, Stade Marcel-Michelin (14.00) beIN SPORTS / Sky Sports

Semi-final 1 - winner of QF 1: Leinster Rugby v Saracens will play the winner of QF 2: Scarlets v La Rochelle
Semi-final 2 - winner of QF 3: Munster Rugby v RC Toulon will play the winner of QF 4: ASM Clermont Auvergne v Racing 92

Friday 30 March
QF 1: Pau v Stade Francais Paris, Stade du Hameau (21.00) FR 4 / beIN SPORTS / BT Sport

Saturday 31 March
QF 3: Connacht Rugby v Gloucester Rugby, The Sportsground (13.00) BT Sport / beIN SPORTS
QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues, BT Murrayfield (17.45) Sky Sports / beIN SPORTS

Semi-final 1 - winner of QF 1: Pau v Stade Francais Paris will play the winner of QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues
Semi-final 2 - winner of QF 3: Connacht Rugby v Gloucester Rugby will play the winner of QF 4: Newcastle Falcons v Brive

Spain?

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:49 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Fingal wrote:
Scarlets up first.

EPCR
Quote:

Friday 30 March
Saturday 31 March

Sunday 1 April

Friday 30 March

Saturday 31 March

Spain?

Overnight ferry from Plymouth to Santander. :D
I'm up for it, if Scarlets get that far. :D
It takes three hours on the narrow gauge FEVE rail line to get from Santander to Bilbao. There are three departs per day. The bus takes an hour and a half and costs six euros, probably about the same as the train. There are also occasional buses straight from Santander airport to Bilbao, taking just over an hour.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 pm
Profile E-mail