It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 am

Leicester / Racing 
World XV Player

Post Re: Leicester / Racing
simondavis wrote:

I agree with you about the number of games English international players play over their Pro 14 counterparts, they certainly do play more games. There was a chart in The Times the other day illustrating that exact same point regards Lions players returning to their respective leagues. Something like the top ten were all English players at English clubs leading playing hours with Courtney Lawes topping the charts if I remember correctly. Why is that do you think? Because the English clubs don't have to play them as do their Pro 14 counterparts. Do they?

I think it's due to the lack of central contracting and the tendency of English clubs to grind players into the ground. I think we need to establish mandatory limits on how many minutes any individual can play with maybe exceptions being allowed in the case of lots of injuries or otherwise not having enough players available. England need to establish some sort of central control for our internationals to prevent the burnout I think we are seeing this year along with the injuries. Ireland and NZ in particular rest their star players far more meaning they are better rested for the big games. English clubs are fundamentally selfish and don't really give a *fupp* about player welfare. You only have to look at someone like Dan Cole, the guy goes from club games to internationals and back to club and Tigers never give him time off year after year.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 pm
Profile E-mail