It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Bastereaud looking at long term ban 
World XV Player

Post Re: Bastereaud looking at long term ban
Bouch wrote:
Bowl at the wicket and the batsman comes across the stumps.

You hit his pads and it's an appeal, and again, and again.

I played a Unison game once where the opposition were playing on their patch, Ystrad Mynach Council Offices Pitch and with their umpires.

I came in 9th - a promotion.

Taking guard middle and leg - the bowler was bowling 2 feet outside off - the umpire allowed his next 2 deliveries to be bowled almost 30 inches outside off with no call of wide.

The bowler started his 5th run up - I held up my hand and asked the umpire to give me a fresh guard - on off.

The umpire actually grumbled but gave me a fresh guard and the bowler ran in a touch faster and bowled only 18 inches wide of off stump, naturally I smacked it past point's left hand (up on my toes as well). It didn't get to the boundary because the off side boundary was protected by grass between 2" and 3" long for the last 20 yards.

Two runs.

They brought on spinners after that - and won by plenty. The batsman at the other end was good - I wasn't.

:D

Miss the point by a country mile... ;)

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:
Bowl at the wicket and the batsman comes across the stumps.

You hit his pads and it's an appeal, and again, and again.

I played a Unison game once where the opposition were playing on their patch, Ystrad Mynach Council Offices Pitch and with their umpires.

I came in 9th - a promotion.

Taking guard middle and leg - the bowler was bowling 2 feet outside off - the umpire allowed his next 2 deliveries to be bowled almost 30 inches outside off with no call of wide.

The bowler started his 5th run up - I held up my hand and asked the umpire to give me a fresh guard - on off.

The umpire actually grumbled but gave me a fresh guard and the bowler ran in a touch faster and bowled only 18 inches wide of off stump, naturally I smacked it past point's left hand (up on my toes as well). It didn't get to the boundary because the off side boundary was protected by grass between 2" and 3" long for the last 20 yards.

Two runs.

They brought on spinners after that - and won by plenty. The batsman at the other end was good - I wasn't.

:D

Miss the point by a country mile... ;)

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:46 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Got to view this in the context of homophobia in sport and the impact this has on the careers and lives of gay sportspeople.

This is worth a read. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/38942441

Sporting bodies are being recommended to issue 2 year bans for individuals found guilty of homophobic abuse.

In football it's now seen as a bigger problem that Racist abuse.

Is the other player involved in this known to be gay?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:49 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Got to view this in the context of homophobia in sport and the impact this has on the careers and lives of gay sportspeople.

Sporting bodies are being recommended to issue 2 year bans for individuals found guilty of homophobic abuse.

I have no idea but if he was then that would make it even worse.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:57 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

If he called him a nasty Italian name, would that be allowed?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

If he called him a nasty Italian name, would that be allowed?

Not sure where you've gone with this now LE. :D

If the nasty word referred to his nationality then that would probably be racist and not allowed, if he called him a nasty homophobic name in italian then that would not be allowed. If he called him a *Tommy Tanker* in Italian then that would not be allowed. Though strangely that last one would probably carry a lesser penalty as *tommy tankers* are not a protected group under equality and diversity rules. :D

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Exactly ...

It's a vulgar, crude, inadmissable retort but how homophobic?

Many comments, expletives, insults on here could be examined in a different light ;)

Context, glasshouses?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Yes its a completely different context. But if he is not gay then i don't see it as a big issue. He called him a "*fupping* faggot", what if he'd said "*fupp* off you big girl" or "*fupp* off you Wendy". If your so insecure as a gay man that one rugby player calling another rugby player a faggot is going to deeply affect you then you need to "man up" (no pun inteded).

I dont particularly care if any man is gay or not, its who they are, makes them no better or worst than anyone else. But there are derogatory remarks linked to being fat, thin and having big ears or ginger hair, to being a coward, to being stupid, to being short to being tall, to being Welsh, to being English to being poor and to beging rich. Dont see why they cant take a bit (once again no pun intended).

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Blindside wrote:
ICEverything wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Yes its a completely different context. But if he is not gay then i don't see it as a big issue. He called him a "*fupping* faggot", what if he'd said "*fupp* off you big girl" or "*fupp* off you Wendy". If your so insecure as a gay man that one rugby player calling another rugby player a faggot is going to deeply affect you then you need to "man up" (no pun inteded).

I dont particularly care if any man is gay or not, its who they are, makes them no better or worst than anyone else. But there are derogatory remarks linked to being fat, thin and having big ears or ginger hair, to being a coward, to being stupid, to being short to being tall, to being Welsh, to being English to being poor and to beging rich. Dont see why they cant take a bit (once again no pun intended).
As ive pointed out before its the dwarfs i feel sorry for no one gives a *fupp* about them, their fired out of canons and thrown in dwarf throwing competitions. :shock:

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

It may well have been a throw away comment but it is still homophobic because it was meant in a negative way regardless of whether the player was gay or not. By calling him that name it was meant as a slur against the player and reinforces a negative attitude towards gays. There will be gay athletes watching that game who live in fear of the consequences of being 'outed', Some who have 'come out' have subsequently taken their own lives due to the abuse they faced. This episode will have done little to help their cause.

This is serious stuff folks. We have had many conversations on this topic and I can see the view that 'there is no harms in it' because nobody really means anything by it. This was just a throw away line with no real meaning behind it. I sort of get that, but what I get more is the fact that some people suffer tremendous abuse and torment over this because it has real consequences in their lives.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
It may well have been a throw away comment but it is still homophobic because it was meant in a negative way regardless of whether the player was gay or not. By calling him that name it was meant as a slur against the player and reinforces a negative attitude towards gays. There will be gay athletes watching that game who live in fear of the consequences of being 'outed', Some who have 'come out' have subsequently taken their own lives due to the abuse they faced. This episode will have done little to help their cause.

This is serious stuff folks. We have had many conversations on this topic and I can see the view that 'there is no harms in it' because nobody really means anything by it. This was just a throw away line with no real meaning behind it. I sort of get that, but what I get more is the fact that some people suffer tremendous abuse and torment over this because it has real consequences in their lives.

That is a whole different context though, this is between 2 rugby players of different nationalities and one getting under the other's skin. I don't think Basta was trying to insult about 20% of the world's population, or limit their rights.

If you take the view that a rugby field is now a "workplace", and all players must not be saying unpleasant things to each other, then every f word we hear should result in a red card and a hefty ban.

Once you go down this road, you have to go all the way, not just administer for one socio group which had nothing to do with the incident.

Otherwise, it is discrimination.. ;)

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:43 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

That is a whole different context though, this is between 2 rugby players of different nationalities and one getting under the other's skin. I don't think Basta was trying to insult about 20% of the world's population, or limit their rights.

If you take the view that a rugby field is now a "workplace", and all players must not be saying unpleasant things to each other, then every f word we hear should result in a red card and a hefty ban.

Once you go down this road, you have to go all the way, not just administer for one socio group which had nothing to do with the incident.

Otherwise, it is discrimination.. ;)

If someone called me a fuppen Welshman or a fuppen taff, I'd be very proud to wear the badge.
Because I am a fuppen Welsh taff. :D
So what, let's just get on with the game, and I'll show you what a Welsh taff can do on the park.
It's bloody rugby for Pete's sake.
Is handbags any worse? :D

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

I can see there's a lot of missionary work needed on this board. [facepalm]. :dontknow: :D

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:56 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
I can see there's a lot of missionary work needed on this board. [facepalm]. :dontknow: :D

Oops! Are we all off to church now? :D

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:05 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:

Maybe you should consider this post in the context of yours :D

Tony Panties wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
ICEverything wrote:

Exactly ...

It's a vulgar, crude, inadmissable retort but how homophobic?

Many comments, expletives, insults on here could be examined in a different light ;)

Context, glasshouses?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next