It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Bastereaud looking at long term ban 
World XV Player

Post Re: Bastereaud looking at long term ban
Er, Welshmen aren't Gypsies, Loosey.

Look elsewhere.

:D

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:13 am
World XV Player

Bouch wrote:

Look elsewhere.

Hmm, one is. :D

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
I can now[url][/url] foresee that there may be a repeat of the Tincu Epcr/french law quarrel.....

The drums are suggesting such ... on the basis of not a direct homophobic insult but a crude response to provocation (as yet undefined)

A reminder

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... cu-gouging

Basta got 3 wks, it seems that the homophobic aspect wasn't taken and he got 50% of minimum sentence.

(i still think that maybe EPCR didn't want to broach an International issue (explained above) ?

-------------

Anyway, I posted this in another Forum which may explain the finding etc, sorry it's a french reference but is teferred to in other reports....

here :

It seems that the homophpbic aspect was not considered and that the effect if it had been is of consequence.

That is my interpretation of Counsels formal quote in french, as follows ...

You may make your own translation(s)...Google etc ..

here :

La commission a retenu comme qualification les insultes mais pas leur caractère homophobe, nous a précisé son avocat Philip Fitzgerald. La gravité de l'accusation à savoir un prétendu caractère homophobe, il était important que la commission fasse toute la lumière sur ce point, parce que cela pouvait avoir de répercussions dans sa vie. L'audience a permis de donner les explications nécessaires». Mathieu Bastareaud pouvait encourir jusqu'à 52 semaines de suspension. Il est finalement sanctionné de la peine la plus basse avec en plus une réduction de 50 %. Il pourra rejouer le 4 février soit au lendemain du premier match de la France dans le Tournoi contre l'Irland

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... nty/867720

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 am
World XV Player

^^^^^^^^^

BBC report, less detailed than his Counsel's statement above and my suspicin of 'darker' reasons ;)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/42721276

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:12 am
World XV Player

By European nationality it would have been:

Wales - 12 weeks
Ireland - 2 weeks
Scotland - no suspension, as they could not understand what was said
England - no suspension and an extra year on the player's contract, 4 weeks for the Italian player for daring to insult an Englishman

In true European style, discrimination in full force :bootyshake:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 am
World XV Player

see below
However, some suspicions e.g not wanting international legal furore like the Tincu affair may have had some significance.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am
World XV Player

Ref my post above that quoted Basta's counsel, someone on Gwlad posted a translation which is very good :

The commission has considered the insults but not their homophobic character, said his lawyer Philip Fitzgerald. The gravity of the charge of a so-called homophobic character, it was important that the commission shed light on this point because it could have repercussions in his life. The hearing gave the necessary explanations ". Mathieu Bastareaud could incur up to 52 weeks of suspension. He is finally punished with the lowest penalty with a 50% reduction. He will be able to play again on February 4th, the day after the first match of France in the Tournament against Ireland

IE as some have posted on here ..it was considered a reflex insult and the homophobic comment and therefore a labelling of being homophobic or intending to intentionally label Negri was taken out.

However, some suspicions e.g not wanting international legal furore like the Tincu affair may have had some significance.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am
World XV Player

I think that sets quite a precedent. Heat of the moment reaction with no intent. Hmm, could be used in all sorts of incidents in the future.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:32 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
Ref my post above that quoted Basta's counsel, someone on Gwlad posted a translation which is very good :

The commission has considered the insults but not their homophobic character, said his lawyer Philip Fitzgerald. The gravity of the charge of a so-called homophobic character, it was important that the commission shed light on this point because it could have repercussions in his life. The hearing gave the necessary explanations ". Mathieu Bastareaud could incur up to 52 weeks of suspension. He is finally punished with the lowest penalty with a 50% reduction. He will be able to play again on February 4th, the day after the first match of France in the Tournament against Ireland

IE as some have posted on here ..it was considered a reflex insult and the homophobic comment and therefore a labelling of being homophobic or intending to intentionally label Negri was taken out.

Justice done i think...... it needed t be adressed but in a sensible manner.

"Business!' cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. "Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”
“None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.”
"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

BigRed wrote:
Bouch wrote:

Look elsewhere.

Hmm, one is. :D

:kermit:

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 am
World XV Player

3 weeks down from 6, wasn't it?

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:43 am
Profile E-mail WWW
World XV Player

CymraegJanner wrote:

Yes, apparently some reduction for pleading guilty without contention ;)

6 wks being the minimum for the 'reduced' aspect of just an insulting retort ( my words)

...and, incidentally, no mention of the content of the initial comment from the Benetton. player.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:52 am
World XV Player

Tony Panties wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:

6 wks being the minimum for the 'reduced' aspect of just an insulting retort ( my words)

...and, incidentally, no mention of the content of the initial comment from the Benetton. player.

An absolute farce, but given it's a combination of the French and English Rugby mafia not at all surprised. ;)

Icey, where is the social justice, where is respect for mankind? How can we live with ourselves if we condone this horrific example of homophobia? :sad5:

Think of the thousands of people who will now require additional therapy and counselling..3 weeks... it is a joke..rugby is guilty here and fans should boycott the 6 Nations games until those who run rugby understand the painful consequences of social injustice. :oops:

Smart move to plead guilty though as it is all on tape...even Trump did that... ;)

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm
World XV Player

Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:

An absolute farce, but given it's a combination of the French and English Rugby mafia not at all surprised. ;)

Icey, where is the social justice, where is respect for mankind? How can we live with ourselves if we condone this horrific example of homophobia? :sad5:

Think of the thousands of people who will now require additional therapy and counselling..3 weeks... it is a joke..rugby is guilty here and fans should boycott the 6 Nations games until those who run rugby understand the painful consequences of social injustice. :oops:

Smart move to plead guilty though as it is all on tape...even Trump did that... ;)
LE, I can't work out if your mocking me or not here. :D

I'm glad for the player that the penalty is not greater. I think the issue has been side stepped and probably for the best in this case, but I do feel uncomfortable about it all the same. Not in any 'high horse' sort of a way - just in a 'oh well' sort of a way.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm
World XV Player

ICEverything wrote:
Langland Exile wrote:
Tony Panties wrote:
CymraegJanner wrote:

LE, I can't work out if your mocking me or not here. :D

I'm glad for the player that the penalty is not greater. I think the issue has been side stepped and probably for the best in this case, but I do feel uncomfortable about it all the same. Not in any 'high horse' sort of a way - just in a 'oh well' sort of a way.

You aren't the only one.

Lots of outrage on social media from fans and journos alike at this decision.

If the ITalian had called him a racist slur and had been heard, it would have been interesting

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 pm
Profile E-mail WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next