It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 am

ANGLO WELSH 
Regional Junior Player

Post ANGLO WELSH
I am not sure whether this is in the right section, but feel compelled to comment on yesterdays humiliating defeat by the Scarlets against Exeter. In my opinion it would be better not to stage Regional games during International windows, as defeats such as this destroy the image of our teams. I am sure the Scarlets could have selected a stronger team, and if this is the case, they owe it to their members and supporters to do so.
With both the Blues and Dragons going under in similar fashion, the message is coming over that English rugby is at this time dominating the U.K. rugby scene.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am
Profile E-mail
International Player

Post Re: ANGLO WELSH
JOHNWALES wrote:
I am not sure whether this is in the right section, but feel compelled to comment on yesterdays humiliating defeat by the Scarlets against Exeter. In my opinion it would be better not to stage Regional games during International windows, as defeats such as this destroy the image of our teams. I am sure the Scarlets could have selected a stronger team, and if this is the case, they owe it to their members and supporters to do so.
With both the Blues and Dragons going under in similar fashion, the message is coming over that English rugby is at this time dominating the U.K. rugby scene.

Lots of first or second choice premiership players against boys.
Literally, men against boys.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am
Profile E-mail
Regional Player

The Blues' side featured George Earle, Tom James, Dan Fish and Rhun Williams; the Dragons had Landman, Ashton Hewitt, and Pat Howard - these are all first choice or near-first choice players at their respective regions, so the "men vs. boys" argument isn't quite accurrate. The four heavy defeats (I think the aggregate score was something like Eng 174-17 Wales or something) though do expose that we just don't have the depth to complete in this kind of competition.

Which then begs the question what exactly we get out of continuing to participate in it? I'm not sure it serves a particularly useful developmental aim- The Irish and Scottish seem to do well enough development wise without it - and no Welsh side has got anywhere near winning it for a long time. Crowds are awful and it isn't televised so it can't be making much money for anyone.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

All those poor Welsh kids need competitive games.

You can put out your veterans and 2nd choices against our nippers, do we care?

Not a lot.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 pm