It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

Saracens v Ospreys (Sat 21.10.2017) 
World XV Player

Post Re: Saracens v Ospreys (Sat 21.10.2017)
Are you in need of consolation and a group hug, byti?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:33 pm
British & Irish Lions Player

Troron wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Not thrash them but probably beat them comfortably enough. Do you really think that Welsh rugby, even with all the success at international level since 2005, is so weak that a hybrid of its two best pro teams would not genuinely compete for European silverware - leaving aside the fact that they have won the Pro 14 six times between them?

The key point is since 2005, the successes of the Welsh team are in the past and do not look like they are going to come around again until some fundamental changes are made. I think a hybrid of it's 2 best teams would be more competitive than either of them individually but I still think it would be below the big English and French clubs. They would win some but I'm pretty sure would continue to lose more than they win.

They have won the Pro 12/14 6 times and yet neither has even reached the semis in Europe... The main point is that the performance will not necessarily jump drastically by simply combining 2 teams. At best a combined team will overcome single glaring weaknesses in one of the teams but top performance is more linked to coaching.

Actually, Scarlets did reach the semis way back in 2007. But I get your point. Anyway, I thought there was a general consensus on this board that we should go down to two pro teams in South Wales, with possibly turning RGC1404 into a fully pro team for the North?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:42 pm
Profile E-mail
World XV Player

najbritcol wrote:
Troron wrote:
najbritcol wrote:
Not thrash them but probably beat them comfortably enough. Do you really think that Welsh rugby, even with all the success at international level since 2005, is so weak that a hybrid of its two best pro teams would not genuinely compete for European silverware - leaving aside the fact that they have won the Pro 14 six times between them?

The key point is since 2005, the successes of the Welsh team are in the past and do not look like they are going to come around again until some fundamental changes are made. I think a hybrid of it's 2 best teams would be more competitive than either of them individually but I still think it would be below the big English and French clubs. They would win some but I'm pretty sure would continue to lose more than they win.

They have won the Pro 12/14 6 times and yet neither has even reached the semis in Europe... The main point is that the performance will not necessarily jump drastically by simply combining 2 teams. At best a combined team will overcome single glaring weaknesses in one of the teams but top performance is more linked to coaching.

Actually, Scarlets did reach the semis way back in 2007. But I get your point. Anyway, I thought there was a general consensus on this board that we should go down to two pro teams in South Wales, with possibly turning RGC1404 into a fully pro team for the North?

I don't think we need to go to two. If we could attract support and keep players, we'd probably be ok.

There is no guarantee that merging Scarlets and Ospreys would see all the fans follow the new team.

Rather than mess around more, we need to fix what we have.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm
Profile E-mail